User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    What is common sense? What function best contributes towards it? Is it a combination of functions? Which type tends to have the most of it, and which tends to have the least?
    I am a great admirer of common sense!
    I used to think I had common sense... until I met my ISTP husband.
    Now that's common sense!

When I say "common sense" I am referring to information you gather from the five senses and just "know" about.

The 2 ISTPs in my life, and the 2 ISTJs in my life all think that they have more common sense than I do.
    And when we compare plans and strategies, they are right.
    Usually, my ideas are not realistic enough.

I agree with the person who said INFPs have the least amount of common sense.
    That has been my experience as well.

I believe that "common sense" comes from "Sensing" in general, and that Se is the highest form of "common sense". Perhaps Si is the second highest form of "common sense".

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I see common sense very similarly to JivinJeffJones. It's practical knowledge that one needs for survival. Common sense also depends on the context. Common sense around a construction site is not the same as common sense in a chemistry lab or common sense in a corporate office. Depending on the context I'd say that common sense can come from Te, Fe or even Se. Also a person with Ne can have insight into the nature of common sense even if they choose not to display it.

Another aspect of common sense is that the reasons behind doing something are often obvious, and therefore an elaborate explanation is not needed. You can give an elaborate explanation as to why a person shouldn't touch a hot stove, but it isn't needed. The reasons behind not touching a hot stove are obvious.

Individuals who have Si as their primary or auxiliary function often confuse tradition for common sense, but I don't believe they are the same thing. All introverted functions (including Si) are highly individualized compared to their extraverted counterparts. A person relying on Si might think that tradition equals common sense, because they equate the two, but in reality that is simply their viewpoint. An idea which seems to be "common sense" may in fact require more elaborate explanation, because it is more complex than what it seems at a first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    probably being an INxx contributes. INxx's tend to be more autonomous-minded, I think, from experience.

Ti = sees whether the behavior meshes with reality
    Ne = sees all the other ways something COULD be done

There won't be a knee-jerk rejection that stems from just TiNe.... there will just be a "That doesn't make any sense!"

Those with Ni as a lead are more prone to have the "Don't tell me how to look at this situation!" kneejerk attitude. I think, anyway.
    It's funny that you explain ENTP behavior as something caused by being INxx. ENTP's are not INxx's. That's just common sense.

Actually I'd describe this as something similar though. I think the closer a person is to INTP the more autonomous they are. Observation clearly shows that INTP is the most autonomous type while their opposite ESFJ is the least autonomous type. Also when you examine each of the "letters" individually you see that I's are more autonomous than E's. N's are more autonomous than S's, T's are more autonomous than F's, and P's are more autonomous than J's. It's not being INxx specifically that makes one autonomous, but specifically being similar to an INTP. INTJ, ENTP, ISTP, and INFP are all fairly autonomous though. (If you're reading this BlueWing this is not meant to be a compliment to INTP's, lol.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    It's funny that you explain ENTP behavior as something caused by being INxx. ENTP's are not INxx's. That's just common sense.
    I'm just whistling in the dark. Feel free to correct.

Flip Ti+Ne around and you get an Ne+Ti... who theoretically is thinking, "Look at all the possibilities, many of them seeming to mesh -- why should I be stuck doing something this old way, when it might not even be the best way?"

I don't feel like committing to anything regarding your second paragraph, I am just planning to watch from my safety point and see what animals are attracted to the bait!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm just whistling in the dark. Feel free to correct.

Flip Ti+Ne around and you get an Ne+Ti... who theoretically is thinking, "Look at all the possibilities, many of them seeming to mesh -- why should I be stuck doing something this old way, when it might not even be the best way?"

I don't feel like committing to anything regarding your second paragraph, I am just planning to watch from my safety point and see what animals are attracted to the bait!
    *passes to Jen* we can share.

Enneagram
    1w2

Good point about common sense being practical rather than traditional. What is traditional is often the most practical and efficient thing to do. Tradition is a dirty word around here and most don't seem to recognize the merit, structure, shortcuts it provides. Try to think of as many situations when what is traditional is solves the problem at hand.

I was reading this article in a magazine recently about inventions that got it right the first time and have needed very little improvement over time. It makes me wonder how often do we confront situations that need a completely novel and new way of dealing with it. It's like those machines that have all those gears and pulleys just to crack an egg. How often is that necessary? If someone constantly does that to solve a problem then that's not very practical and I'd think that person lacked common sense.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post

Actually I'd describe this as something similar though. I think the closer a person is to INTP the more autonomous they are. Observation clearly shows that INTP is the most autonomous type while their opposite ESFJ is the least autonomous type. Also when you examine each of the "letters" individually you see that I's are more autonomous than E's. N's are more autonomous than S's, T's are more autonomous than F's, and P's are more autonomous than J's. It's not being INxx specifically that makes one autonomous, but specifically being similar to an INTP. INTJ, ENTP, ISTP, and INFP are all fairly autonomous though. (If you're reading this BlueWing this is not meant to be a compliment to INTP's, lol.)
    I've never seen P's as autonomous, but as dependent. I believe the most independent type is INTJ, not INTP. INTP's don't have a lot of will power, and often give in or shy away from whatever their problem is. To me, though, ENTP's seem somewhat more autonomous than INTP's. (I think the tertiary Si is their weakness.)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I believe that "common sense" comes from "Sensing" in general, and that Se is the highest form of "common sense". Perhaps Si is the second highest form of "common sense".
    Naughty. You don't slip things like that in on an edit. :1377:

Yeah, I've been trying to isolate which functions best promote common sense. My initial thought was Se. Then I thought about Te. Then I wondered about Ne and at that point I gave up. Older INTJs tend to have a brand of common sense which ignores convention and focuses on practicality. They seem to be able to eliminate the extraneous in pursuit of a goal. ISTPs, I think, tend to focus on how things should be done and don't make stupid mistakes in getting them done. They are also adaptable which, imo, gives them an edge over ISTJs who can get more caught up in what is conventional over what is practical.

MBTI
    INFP

And FWIW I suspect that INTPs in general have almost as little common sense as INFPs.

MBTI
    INTJ

Naughty. You don't slip things like that in on an edit. :1377:
    tee-hee
    Sorry. I didn't think anyone was around, and I didn't think I should write a separate post. Is this where some common sense would have come in handy? If I had more common sense, I would have started a new post.

Yeah, I've been trying to isolate which functions best promote common sense.
    I noticed.

My initial thought was Se. Then I thought about Te. Then I wondered about Ne and at that point I gave up. Older INTJs tend to have a brand of common sense which ignores convention and focuses on practicality. They seem to be able to eliminate the extraneous in pursuit of a goal. ISTPs, I think, tend to focus on how things should be done and don't make stupid mistakes in getting them done. They are also adaptable which, imo, gives them an edge over ISTJs who can get more caught up in what is conventional over what is practical.
    I agree.

MBTI
    INTJ

And FWIW I suspect that INTPs in general have almost as little common sense as INFPs.
    You ain't just whistlin' Dixie!