Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Self expression is the soul of art. It is not technique and it is not popularity. Art is the expression of the self.

This is not as easy as it seems for we spend the first twenty-two years of our lives gaining control and learning to conform. And then along comes a family and we spend the next twenty-two years teaching our children control and conformity. And by then we are in our fifties or sixties and it is too late.

This is rather cruel, for our prosperous societies make a fetish of creativity. Creativity is a good thing, we are told. We should all be creative. And so large numbers now go to creative writing classes in Community Colleges and even universities.

But no matter how many attend, no more creative writing is produced than before.

So creative writing classes are deceptive cruelty for profit.

What is amazing is how rare creativity is. Rather than all of us being creative, the creative are few.

And this is because after struggling for twenty-two years to learn control and conformity we are not, under any circumstances, going to give up the gains we have made. Instead we choose to act out on our children. Our children don't know any better and we can vomit up all the control and conformity over our children. Children are therapy for those whose lives have been constricted by control and conformity. And it works - parents love their children, they simply dote on them. They love them so much we must have laws against nepotism.

But there is no need to have laws against creative self expression because we don't want it.
    I'm confused by this, why specifically 22 years?
    Surely some children are creative in schools? no? How about children winning literary prizes for creative writing (as you mentioned creative writing) and then going on to continue in that vein.
    I have a 10 year old son (10 yesterday) he has severe dyslexia and is more creative than i have ever been, he makes the most wonderful art, he is able to form 3/d images in his mind and make things to fit the mental blueprint using pretty much anything from household items to hardware store products to junk. It's a special gift he has.
    Would you argue that he is not creative?
    If you are meaning something else please explain.

heart on fire

This is rather cruel, for our prosperous societies make a fetish of creativity. Creativity is a good thing, we are told. We should all be creative. And so large numbers now go to creative writing classes in Community Colleges and even universities.

But no matter how many attend, no more creative writing is produced than before.

I took organic chemistry and yet I am not a chemist nor do I experiment with chemistry, yet I feel it was not a wasted class. I certainly don't have any talent for it. Yet I understand more about science and life than I would have had I not taken it. The reason to take classes is not always to excell but to expand one's horizons.

Our society does not make a fetish out of creativity. Commerical fiction is based on following a formula, a learned skill, and writing to fit with the current market's tastes to please those one is trying to entertain. Just like an actor learns their skill. It does take being creative within the medium but if one wants to write solely for self expression, that's best done for one's self and no one can teach that. But it's a mistake to confuse the two.

Banned
    MBTI
    me

Self expression is the soul of art. It is not technique and it is not popularity. Art is the expression of the self.

This is not as easy as it seems for we spend the first twenty-two years of our lives gaining control and learning to conform. And then along comes a family and we spend the next twenty-two years teaching our children control and conformity. And by then we are in our fifties or sixties and it is too late.

What is amazing is how rare creativity is. Rather than all of us being creative, the creative are few.

And this is because after struggling for twenty-two years to learn control and conformity we are not, under any circumstances, going to give up the gains we have made. Instead we choose to act out on our children. Our children don't know any better and we can vomit up all the control and conformity over our children. Children are therapy for those whose lives have been constricted by control and conformity. And it works - parents love their children, they simply dote on them. They love them so much we must have laws against nepotism.

But there is no need to have laws against creative self expression because we don't want it.
    You say people flock to creative writing classes, yet no more literature is produced than before. And at the same time, society says it's good to be creative, but the creative are only a few.

So it's the fault of social mechanisms of control that people aren't creative... yet people still desire to be 'creative', they are just incapable of doing so.

So society values creativity, yet it engenders social control upon people, so they are eventually enculturated to regulate themselves, without the 'help' of society.

If that is a correct assumption of your reasoning, how does the example of producing literature support views about self censoring of 'creativity'?
    Writing and manufacturing literature are two very different things. There are many creative writers who use blogs, or keep their writing to themselves. What about the literature of other cultures?
    To say there are few 'creatives' is like a human whose only lived in a box saying 'the only things that exist are me and this box'.

Would you consider the idea that profiting from creativity is not desired by a lot of people who are conventionally creative?

The bien-pensant tell us that we are all creative. Doesn't it make us feel good? It means we can be creative without actually being creative.

That we are all creative is the kind of creativity you have when you are not having any creativity.

For if we are all creative, then none are creative.

And this is what they want. They hate the creativity in themselves and are devoted to destroying creativity in those few who are creative.

These are the vandals who tell us that they are doing it with the best intentions in the world, and look, all the bien-pensant agree with them. Yes, look again and they are popular.

For the best reasons in the world they pull down the true and beautiful and replace it with an image of themselves.

But most of all they want to be in control. In fact they are in a panic that they might loose control. So they are frantic in their efforts to control those very few who are creative. And tragically they often succeed, particularly with children and the vulnerable.

Have you noticed how popular MBTI is? Eight million every year do the test. And it is popular because it takes the place of creativity. MBTI is a substitute for creativity. It is loved by the military and business and hated by the Universities.

All of us, they tell us, can be measured by MBTI, in just the same way we are all creative.

Whoopee!
    Who is 'they'?

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo Barbarosa View Post
    does anyone else think Victor sounds kind of like Frank Miller?
    I'm new here. Does he talk about "whores" a lot? Then it'd be Frank.