• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

why do we need privacy?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We need privacy because of people's tendency to be intrusive and because people impose their own personal preferences onto the public. That people have opinions about others' diet, sexual preferences, etc. demonstrates this need to control other people's personal lives in order to justify something about their own, I suppose.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think privacy serves several purposes.

The existence of privacy creates domains in which things deemed unacceptable or unpleasant can be expressed and explored. With no privacy, the only way to avoid censure would be to limit expression. In fact, much of politeness is about avoiding expressing unpleasantness directly to others. It's fine if you dislike dinner, but it's rude if you express that directly to the cook.

I also think that privacy combined with anonymity allows people to explore personas and parts of themselves that they might not express in their normal social context. Whether this is positive or negative depends on what people choose to explore and express. Certainly it seems like teens use online anonymity and privacy to experiment with aspects of self-development in a lower risk environment than their face to face lives. It also allows people to find like-minded others while avoiding the judgment (or the boredom) of their immediate social circle.

In a sense, one's immediate experience and thoughts are always private (barring some technological invention to read thoughts directly). They are inescapably private, in the sense that subjective experience can never be completely captured and communicated. Each of us lives in a unique subjective universe, and on some level it's amazing how representations (words, pictures, etc) allow us to bridge that gap.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Self preservation, to maintain the psyche that would be left exposed, without being taken advantage of.

To maintain the inner balance and harmony of the soul state or ego state that represents the dimensional reality of the self.

Without this capacity the fields would dry up and the surface growth would wilt. Even open books require inner states to recharge their openness without expressing the nature of things I guess.

Little_Sticks

Privacy allows the individual to disengage everyone and look at everyone else and them-self from a reflective standpoint, as well as allowing to pursue private interests, interests that are only worthwhile to the self and in the self doing them - creative pursuits perhaps.

It also allows the members of a group to disengage from group mentality in an effort to better or best direct that group mentality to the most reasonable and practical direction.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
It's relevant to post what I need to say here!... I believe there has been a breach of trust within the "MadMin Collective"... I've had a B & E in my PM box and had a message to another member altered, which is an invasion of privacy.

Why the intrusion?:steam:
Your belief is incorrect.

Mole

Permabanned
Privacy is over.

Literacy gave us the private individual, while the electronic media, the noosphere, is giving us the tribal village where we know at the speed of light, not only what we are doing, but what we are feeling.

Arthur Schopenhauer

What is, is.
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Privacy is over.

Literacy gave us the private individual, while the electronic media, the noosphere, is giving us the tribal village where we know at the speed of light, not only what we are doing, but what we are feeling.

What did I do last night in my room, Victor? The door was closed.