User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    I always just assumed privacy was a survival instinct. If you told people your weaknesses you could be exploited and killed.
    Only in a literate society.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The first casualty of any revolution is irony. And the second is history.

Pol Pot the great revolutionary of the twentieth century took Cambodia back to Year Zero to obliterate history. In the same way, the great American revolutionary lexicographer of the nineteenth century, Noah Webster, cut the English language off from its historical roots.

And it is now this bowdlerised form of English that you use to think. So it is no surprise you find it hard to believe privacy is a new invention. In fact I should imagine you find it hard to think of anything in historical terms. And of course that was Noah Webster's intention.

Noah Webster left you literal minded, bereft of history.
    I think in bowdlerized English, bereft of history??

Ok.

It's very possible I was teasing you in my last post...

MBTI
    INTP

Only in a literate society.
    Why only in a literate society? I'd have imagined the same would apply in a primal setting?
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    They always tell you such crap. That's because if you tell them all your secrets, they have stuff to control you by, so it's to their advantage to convince you not to have any. You either have to be incredibly boring or very very young not to have any secrets, is what I think.
    In the electric world it is the boring and the bored who have secrets.

Look around you here - almost all sail under an anonymous avatar, a nom de plume. So Nineteenth Century.

The nom de plume is to protect their private identity. But the private identity is dissolving in the electron.

Why, electronically it would take me half an hour and a few dollars to discover your name and where you live and what you consume every day.

So much for privacy.

Privacy is now a confidence trick - and it is no wonder privacy finds its last hiding place in the confidence trick of MBTI.
    Likes elodia liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Oeufa View Post
    Why only in a literate society? I'd have imagined the same would apply in a primal setting?
    Enlarge your imagination by reading, "Understanding Media", by Marshall McLuhan, the patron saint of the internet.

By meeting our patron saint you will not only be enlarging your imagination but you will be improving your moral life as well.

We all need a patron saint, and he is our patron saint, the saint of the internet.

So it is better to light a candle to Saint Marshall rather than curse the darkness, and he will light a candle in your mind.

MBTI
    INTP

Enlarge your imagination by reading, "Understanding Media", by Marshall McLuhan, the patron saint of the internet.

By meeting our patron saint you will not only be enlarging your imagination but you will be improving your moral life as well.

We all need a patron saint, and he is our patron saint, the saint of the internet.

So it is better to light a candle to Saint Marshall rather than curse the darkness, and he will light a candle in your mind.
    I'll certainly do that at some point in the near future. Sounds like an interesting read

EDIT: Just looked it up on this website: Marshall McLuhan understanding media | Search | CD WOW! Ireland One copy is around €15 and the other is around €90. *clicks to find out the difference*
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

In the electric world it is the boring and the bored who have secrets.

Look around you here - almost all sail under an anonymous avatar, a nom de plume. So Nineteenth Century.

The nom de plume is to protect their private identity. But the private identity is dissolving in the electron.

Why, electronically it would take me half an hour and a few dollars to discover your name and where you live and what you consume every day.

So much for privacy.

Privacy is now a confidence trick - and it is no wonder privacy finds its last hiding place in the confidence trick of MBTI.
    Why do you have such a hard on about people using their real names? Discover away, I couldn't care less, if you want to take the time and trouble. But to act as though I'm not genuine because I don't care to share my personal information with the entirety of cyber-space is ... naive, to say the least.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

I don't think we need privacy... but we (i) sure do want it.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

You're right about people wanting to avoid control and judgment.
    I don't know if i lead a completely open life, but it has been far more open than anyone else's that i've come face to face with.
    I want time for privacy and to be by myself or secluded with select others, but i don't hesitate to talk of what did or will take place during those times. Practically every thought i uncover is open to anyone who asks about it. Practically every action is fair game to be spoken of.

A lot of people are afraid of what lurks inside themselves or behind closed doors escaping into the bustling world of opinions. Personally, i can't see that as liberating in relation to my own personal growth. I'm better when i am fully displayed and aspects of my life are far more fulfilling.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by bcvcdc View Post
    I don't think we need privacy... but we (i) sure do want it.
    And here am I walking up to your front gate, looking over your fence, and playing with your dogs when your back is turned.

I tell them, all she wants is privacy so don't tell her I slip in and play fetch with you.

Keep a straight face as far as two dogs can keep a straight face, and say nothing. You know nothing.