User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

A theory I subscribe to personally is:

A collective mind, though more powerful, ultimately only comes up with one idea, and the perspective offered is all internal. Whereas, an intelligence that comes from multitudes of sources, comes up with many ideas and external perspectives that compete or compliment one another, in theory providing a much more productive answer.

Obviously, this connects only loosely to the debate of full public vs. partial private/public, but I think it has some pretty decent correlation.

Human personalities run a full gamut of the spectrum, and that creates a sort of balance. If you create a situation wherein introverts are denied their prime operation, you're essentially crippling the balance. We've all seen what happens when a mostly E society tries to transform an I into an E, and it's not usually pretty...
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post

I'd seriously feel like killing myself if I didn't have privacy. I become easily irritated and weirdly unbalanced if I don't get to be alone with my books for at least a few hours a day, and that's a bare minimum.
    Yep, agreed. I have to go to my room and relax if I want time alone, as I have a house guest who has been here for over a year, and honestly that sucks as I feel like most of my privacy has gone, and all that's left is my little room with it's crappy lighting.

If I had been alive in the times when people all sort of lived together, you can be sure I would have ended up as some lone ranger or bard just so I could retreat for private time somewhere out in the wilderness.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ...I always wondered what society would be like if we always knew exactly what everyone else was thinking.
    There is no need to wonder. You can go live with a tribe in the highlands of Papua New Guinea. And it will be a life changing experience, for you will find the whole tribe feels as one. It is like belonging to a flight of birds wheeling and turning in the emotional sky. Startling at the hawk or settling on the ground as one to feed. Or perhaps hurled as one spear in war, or united at first cry of the new born.

You may cry at being so accepted by those around you, or perhaps you will be so alienated that you will long to bury your nose in a book.

Some who go, never come back - for they have entered the heart of darkness. But for most who have been taught to read, they realise they can never stop, that although we created print in 1440, print has created us.

We have been imprinted with an indelible ink.

But for good or ill, print has been subsumed by the electric telegraph, the electric telephone, the electric radio, the electric television and the electric internet.

Yes, we have created the electron and now the electron creates us.

And our children will wheel like birds in the sky.

Thumbs down The Song Electric

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's also the whole issue of age appropriate behaviour, any parent knows that there times when they need privacy from their children, if they arent aware enough of this they are likely to get a visit from the social services to remind them of this quick smart.
    Before literacy and the private bedroom, we practised bundling. That is, we all bundled together to sleep in the same bed.

Childhood was yet to be invented and teenagers were unheard of.

It is only sequential, linear print that has enabled us to think in the serried ranks of child, teenager, adult, and the aged.

Indeed print has given us marketing demographics piled on marketing demographics, and naturally we identify with our demographic. Why, there are self confessed teenagers reading this as I write.

But they are all dissolving as they read, for they are not reading print but electronic text.

Print moves as slow as the eye while the electron moves as fast as the ear. The electron moves at the speed of light and everything happens all at once, in just the way the ear hears.

So the linear sequential world is dissolving at the speed of light as you listen to me.

While Jennifer calls me the Pied Piper - as I sing the song electric.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

or the body electric, eh?

I have an idea ... many years ago, I lived in a culture that was more family oriented, where it was not unusual for parents and grown children to live happily together in small quarters. One of the grown children (in her late teens) had a boyfriend who would come to visit every evening. The two of them would rub noses and talk sweet talk in whispers in the living room. Apparently in front of everybody. Except that by tacit agreement, no one acknowledged their presence. Sort of like when you are in an elevator, maybe. (Although I know some people do talk to strangers in elevators.)

Anyway. I think it is not impossible to have some privacy even in a tribal setting. I have a hard time believing the need for privacy is a new invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    We need privacy to keep seeecrets, eeewuhl seeecrets.
    In my very first Encounter Group at the National Training Laboratories (NTL), I discovered that secrets aren't worth keeping.

And later I discovered that secrets can't be kept at the speed of light in the new age of the electron.

MBTI
    INTP

I always just assumed privacy was a survival instinct. If you told people your weaknesses you could be exploited and killed.
    Ti>Ne>Si>Te>Fi>Ni>Se=Fe

And yes, there are such things as INTPs who overuse emoticons

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post

I have an idea ... many years ago, I lived in a culture that was more family oriented, where it was not unusual for parents and grown children to live happily together in small quarters. One of the grown children (in her late teens) had a boyfriend who would come to visit every evening. The two of them would rub noses and talk sweet talk in whispers in the living room. Apparently in front of everybody. Except that by tacit agreement, no one acknowledged their presence. Sort of like when you are in an elevator, maybe. (Although I know some people do talk to strangers in elevators.)

Anyway. I think it is not impossible to have some privacy even in a tribal setting. I have a hard time believing the need for privacy is a new invention.
    I've heard similar accounts about communal living. I agree. I think privacy has always existed to some degree.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In my very first Encounter Group at the National Training Laboratories (NTL), I discovered that secrets aren't worth keeping.

And later I discovered that secrets can't be kept at the speed of light in the new age of the electron.

They always tell you such crap. That's because if you tell them all your secrets, they have stuff to control you by, so it's to their advantage to convince you not to have any. You either have to be incredibly boring or very very young not to have any secrets, is what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post

The first casualty of any revolution is irony. And the second is history.

Pol Pot the great revolutionary of the twentieth century took Cambodia back to Year Zero to obliterate history. In the same way, the great American revolutionary lexicographer of the nineteenth century, Noah Webster, cut the English language off from its historical roots.

And it is now this bowdlerised form of English that you use to think. So it is no surprise you find it hard to believe privacy is a new invention. In fact I should imagine you find it hard to think of anything in historical terms. And of course that was Noah Webster's intention.

Noah Webster left you literal minded, bereft of history.