User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 50

  1. #21
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Ow, key. Us entps and our tendency to go directly for the big picture impersonnal model you know
    Indeed.

    My pride and I had been squaring off for years.

    The final battle had to happen sometime.

  2. #22
    Reptilian Snuggletron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    10
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    I stumbled across this idea that more than 70% usually believe they are above the average in intelligence and all that.
    I believe this, because most people are deluded.

  3. #23
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Others may say I'm arrogant, I just think I have the appropriate level of self-confidence that is necessary to be successful in any field I participate in.

    I tend to look down upon those who think they can't do things. They are a waste of time.



  4. #24
    Phantonym
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Are you arrogant?
    Absolutely. I usually don't show it but it's there and it's unavoidable. I don't select people I associate with based on some arbitrary notion of something unreasonable but there's always some form of judgment going on at the back of my mind. I'm also arrogant about my tolerance for different people, ideas and opinions.

  5. #25
    Black Magic Buzzard Kra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    So I was looking through my psychology textbooks and I stumbled across this idea that more than 70% usually believe they are above the average in intelligence and all that.
    Why not? When did believing you were below average ever accomplish anything?

    I'm arrogant, but I'm also strategic... meaning I'm shady and unscrupulous.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

  6. #26
    Senior Member Alpha Prime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    XXXX
    Socionics
    XXXX
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post

    Now I'm not talking about the openly-arrogant individual that goes around shouting about how much better they are in comparison to other people, but the more subtle forms which is reflected in statements like 1. "mass society is XYZ - I would not make that choice." or 2. perhaps even choosing to hang out with certain individuals. 3. One example: The idea of selecting friends, occasionally questioning friendships with people might be seen as being picky, and some could argue that this behaviour is being arrogant.
    It all boils down to the context in which it occurrs.

    1: It could be wise not to go with the mainstream. These are often the kind of people that are pioneers. I prefer this.

    2: I strongly believe in being selective when it comes to choosing the people that you let surround you. In fact, I go as far as saying it's very stupid and unwise NOT to choose your surroundings. They affect you more than you can know. Especially when choosing your SO.

    3: See 2.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    There is a difference between arrogance, paranoia and choosing friends wisely. The wise do not befriend fools and one who looks at a fool without knowing is a fool himself.
    Well said.
    Hit like a heavyweight, breathe deep, meditate
    Make the whole crowd get loud, make 'em levitate
    I ride through my city like a presidential candidate
    L-A-X, Phantom double-R, and accelerate

  7. #27
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    But you never thought of double agents, did you.
    Oh course not, but I am certain that my INTJs have

  8. #28
    Senior Member d4mselfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Yes.

  9. #29
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    I suppose in the sense of the OP I am a bit arrogant. I don't know how much it hurts or not. So far my beliefs have not become unquestionable to me and I'm still willing to try and politely explain things to people, so I think I'm still at a healthy level.

    Really, I have far more problems with low self-esteem.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  10. #30
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I don't think I'm arrogant. Actually I'm not even sure that the 70% who think they are above average are all arrogant either. Instead people have different ways of judging intelligence. Two people can look at each other and think the other person is dumb simply because the other person is incompetent in a way that they care a lot about.

    For example an extravert might appear dumb to an introvert, because he says whatever he is thinking. Likewise the extravert might think the introvert is dumb, because he can't communicate as clearly. I'm not sure if this is arrogance, but if it is, the arrogance comes from a lack of understanding other people.
    +1

    This question got me to thinking - what does arrogance really mean and what causes it? A few snippets that I pulled:

    "overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors"

    "A person who thinks that he is always right, who acts as if he is superior to other people and who believes that he truly is better than other people"

    "Arrogance Vs Over-confidence - self-confidence is about knowing your strengths and weaknesses while arrogance is thinking that you are invincible or at least trying to appear as if you are."

    "Arrogance and Inferiority Complex - Sometimes the real reason for acting in an arrogant way is to hide one's own feeling of inferiority. A person who tries to give the impression that he's invincible may be hiding some kind of vulnerability that he is feeling."

    "Religion and Arrogance - In most religions arrogance is considered a spiritual disease simply because thinking that you are superior means that you claim that you are the only one responsible for your success and so, implicitly denying the role of God."


    So am I arrogant (or even over-confident)? I haven't felt this way for some time but in the past arrogant behavior used to bother me a little more than it should. Not a good sign - maybe I was. Even now, I can have pretty strong opinions though I put a lot more energy into collaborating and gaining the perspectives of others. On reflection, it is an adaptive behavior to gain involvement/support in implementing a direction people will agree with, and to prevent myself, or others, from making bad decisions.

    In either case, the thought is a little unsettling - are you arrogant or confident? On the flip side, do you give in too much to the perspectives of others in the spirit of collaboration and compromise? Disturbing as well.

    In the end, it is a balance and I'm not sure if you can tell if you are arrogant or over-confident. It may be easier for other people to tell that, or you find out the hard way.

Similar Threads

  1. Height/How tall are you?
    By niffer in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 360
    Last Post: 06-20-2016, 02:44 PM
  2. What are you wearing right now?
    By Sartorial in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 04-29-2016, 02:28 PM
  3. Why are you here?
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM
  4. are you their?
    By eleph ingratiate in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 04:34 PM
  5. Happiness, Children, and Are you that one girl?
    By Wolf in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO