• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

mental disorders and mbti type

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have a friend whose boyfriend is an ESFP with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Any thoughts I could have possibly had about OCD correlating with xxxJ went away right after I met him.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
i read that if in an introvert both the dominant and auxiliary functions are introverted a neurosis can develop, and if they are fused(whatever that means) a psychosis can develop. the same goes for an extravert with both functions extraverted.

What does that mean? I still have not taken the time to wrap my head around all the functions. Can you give examples of types that fall into this category?

Ingrid in grids

I've seen a lot of IxxJs go through eating disorders. I think INxJs can be pretty susceptible, particularly if their handle on their inferior Se is poor. Bad inferior Se can show as an obsessive focus on your environment or your physical self, or an overloading of the senses/overindulging in sensual pleasures. Together, this could mean overindulging in food and an obsessive focus on weight --> eating disorder. Eating disorders are more than often to do with control too, which is another reason why the IxxJs are the types more likely to develop one.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
ENTP - sex disorder, confuses apple pie for prey

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
horrible ocd/depression/anxiety, dark thoughts, obsessions, turned on like a light bulb at puberty. eating /exercise disorder eased in 20's
...intermittent depression/anxiety, can't stop analyzing things, obsessions about disease or illness, delirium... Sleep Issues, insomnia, migraines, overly sensitive environmental stimuli, extremely somatic.

luvox- life savers
Topamax

INFP- brother, avoidant, depression, social anxiety, OCD
INTJ dad -hoards, shopping, OCD, bursts of anger!!!!
ISTJ mom -anxiety, paranoid, delusional, wont leave house, fearful, bursts of anger
ocd/anxiety/dep runs in fam

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I have a friend whose boyfriend is an ESFP with obsessive-compulsive disorder. Any thoughts I could have possibly had about OCD correlating with xxxJ went away right after I met him.
One case does not matter.
There are thousands in the other end of the spectrum.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I think bipolarity can be found in every type. However it is possible that the apparent type changes whethere the person is in manic or depressive state.
My father is bipolar, and would be an ISTJ most of the time, although in more manic states he becomes ENTJ.
Bipolarity is about type change.

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I'm going to give the Schizoid and Schizotypal to the IxTxs. Histrionic to ExFxs, Antisocial to...I have no idea...Borderline to xFxJs, Narcissistic to Ts in general, Dependent to Feelers in general, and I don't know what else. I'll have to think about it.

I'm PD free, but I'm an ENFJ with bulimia...and seriously damaged Se, which makes me curious about the *bad Se=eating disorder* hypotheses.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INFJ - major depression, PTSD, sleep disorder

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I don't think I have any personality disorders or mental illness just a full range of human emotion, but I suspect that may be narcissitic of me :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah, the Oldham styles referenced at times in that thread are actually built (well, many of them) right off the personality disorder reference guide. The assumption is that the disorders are just unhealthy/extreme/rigid forms of valid personality types, which Oldham attempts to derive.

(Sensitive, for example, is tied to the disorder Avoidant = MBTI INFJ type.)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTJ, INTJ and ENTP are the three most likely types to develop Antisocial Personality Disorder (sociopathy).

Jaguar

ENTJ, INTJ and ENTP are the three most likely types to develop Antisocial Personality Disorder (sociopathy).

After a psychiatrist heard about all the parties I had with 300 people in my house, he diagnosed me "antisocial."
I've always had a problem being around large groups.
300 works best for me. Nice and small.

G

Ginkgo

Psychiatrists will find a reason to diagnose you with a problem. It's how they make cash.

Of course, there's a wide range of problems, all of which manage to characterize exaggerated behaviors. They're basically like caricature paintings of an otherwise "normal" face.

In MBTI, we find all sorts of caricatures, but since there is no accurately defined "normal", there is no reason to label them as stigmatas.

Correlations? Probably, but that's only under the premise that the individuals are accurately diagnosed in the first place, so this thread is meaningless and unproductive; unless you just like talking for talking's sake.

I've been depressed in the past. It was largely an attention seeking and approval yearning behavior. My primary health provider says I'm sensitive to other people's problems and perhaps I worry too much. All of my behaviors are variable with my environment, as are everyone else's.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't have a mental disorder .. I am absolutely fine .. My shrink agrees and the tablets don't affect my imaginary friends. Lol

Hmmm .. I think that is silly personally, but i have always suspected that ENTP's are a little strange.

Now give me a psychotic ENTJ who is under the care of a shrink whilst high on anti depressent and i think that is a good excuse to have some fun.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After a psychiatrist heard about all the parties I had with 300 people in my house, he diagnosed me "antisocial."
I've always had a problem being around large groups.
300 works best for me. Nice and small.
That's not quite what antisocial means in this context.

Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD or APD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual as "...a pervasive pattern of disregard for, and violation of, the rights of others that begins in childhood or early adolescence and continues into adulthood."[1]

[...]

Symptoms

Characteristics of people with antisocial personality disorder may include:[3]
Persistent lying or stealing
Superficial charm[4][5]
Apparent lack of remorse[4] or empathy; inability to care about hurting others
Inability to keep jobs or stay in school[4]
Impulsivity and/or recklessness[4]
Lack of realistic, long-term goals — an inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals
Inability to make or keep friends, or maintain relationships such as marriage
Poor behavioral controls — expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper
Narcissism, elevated self-appraisal or a sense of extreme entitlement
A persistent agitated or depressed feeling (dysphoria)
A history of childhood conduct disorder
Recurring difficulties with the law
Tendency to violate the boundaries and rights of others
Substance abuse
Aggressive, often violent behavior; prone to getting involved in fights
Inability to tolerate boredom
Disregard for the safety of self or others
Persistent attitude of irresponsibility and disregard for social rules, obligations, and norms
Difficulties with authority figures [6]

Antisocial personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia