First 234

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I think that's more semantics than anything though. Inspiration/ motivation, what's the difference?
    I tend to see "inspiration" as encouragement without any sort of pressure being applied -- it's all about empowering the victim recipient with energy/excitement or setting a vision for the future.

Motivation is a bit more broad... and a bit more crass. You can motivate someone by inspiring them -- or by beating them with a large stick.

That is similar to the ESTPs problem (she's only in the project because she wants to be included and hence can drag her heels a bit).
    An ESTP who wears heels? hmmmm.....

I've tried such tactics before and when attempting it on NTs I tend to get a worse result than on NFs (the very people who usually take my words the worst way possible).
    That is probably an accurate assessment. NTs tend to not take anything personally or keep holding it at arm's length, even when I wish they would be more responsive; NFs have tended to take what I said too much to heart or too intensely than I meant it to be.

Is that motivating them or just exciting their interest in carrots?
    If you'd like to motivate me, you can dangle chocolate cheesecake on a rope in front of me. (I don't care if it's motivation or a sweet tooth; in practice, it's all the same.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I tend to see "inspiration" as encouragement without any sort of pressure being applied -- it's all about empowering the victim recipient with energy/excitement or setting a vision for the future.
    If you'd like to motivate me, you can dangle chocolate cheesecake on a rope in front of me. (I don't care if it's motivation or a sweet tooth; in practice, it's all the same.)
    Sorry to cut and shut like that but it seemed appropriate.

Does the chocolate cheesecake excite your interest in stuffing yourself with chocolate cheesecake or does it motivate you to do my bidding or does it just inspire you to eat chocolate cheesecake?

Now once you've stopped thinking about chocolate cheesecake are you still motivated to answer the question?
    Motivation is a bit more broad... and a bit more crass. You can motivate someone by inspiring them -- or by beating them with a large stick.
    True. All impels the subject. You can inspire someone through hardship though.
    An ESTP who wears heels? hmmmm.....
    You're right that's just silly. She can't balance worth a damn
    That is probably an accurate assessment. NTs tend to not take anything personally or keep holding it at arm's length, even when I wish they would be more responsive; NFs have tended to take what I said too much to heart or too intensely than I meant it to be.
    NT=Chasing them into the cave and beating the information out of them.
    NF=Back peddling so fast that time slows down
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ISTP

Hmm, I was just skimming the thread what with all the "motivation comes from inside" stuff... I was going to say.

Motivating someone is easy, really, you just aren't willing to do it. If it comes down to it, physical pain will motivate and condition you plenty well.

(Err, by "you" I mean... everyone )

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Does the chocolate cheesecake excite your interest in stuffing yourself with chocolate cheesecake or does it motivate you to do my bidding or does it just inspire you to eat chocolate cheesecake?
    I just want chocolate cheesecake. I don't give a flying fig about the purpose of the lever you're having me press.

But sometimes it doesn't matter, does it? Depending on the task? Work quality does improve if one believes the work itself has value, but people can still accomplish a "satisfactory" level of performance simply in pursuit of a reward such as a paycheck?

Now once you've stopped thinking about chocolate cheesecake are you still motivated to answer the question?
    What was the question again?

You can inspire someone through hardship though.
    "Inspire" is usually positive. I can be inspired by watching someone else's perseverance through the midst of adversity.

You're right that's just silly. She can't balance worth a damn
    Then again, she can punch a nice hole through your foot when she's pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Motivating someone is easy, really, you just aren't willing to do it. If it comes down to it, physical pain will motivate and condition you plenty well.
    True. Pain is a great motivator, it just tends to reduce the possibility of a non-pain motivator working in the future with that particular individual.

(ie., the more you beat someone, the less apt they will be to listen to you in the future unless you beat them even harder. And they might try to beat you first.)

So pain seems good as a short-term motivator, but weakens long-term compliance.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

True. Pain is a great motivator, it just tends to reduce the possibility of a non-pain motivator working in the future with that particular individual.

So pain seems good as a short-term motivator, but weakens long-term compliance.
    It depends on the way it is applied. Mixing positive and negative punishment/reward is highly effective in behaviour modification. Simply randomize positive and negative feedback over a long enough period, then taper off the feedback... it tends to stick way better than we think.

(Course, I agree on the "beat with stick" at every deviation... it needs to be more random and mixed than that.)

The only problem with this is that it is normally very specific. You can motivate/train/condition/reinforce something in particular, but it's hard to retrain, say, a P to want closure (J). On the other hand, the military has no problem reconditioning people in such a way - if you are willing to put up with side effects, you can break someone down and rebuild them to be almost anything you want.

Anyway, motivation is normally a whole lot of previously conditioned responses to start with. Very few people brush their teeth because its "good for them", most do it because their parents made them. Once you have been conditioned, well, it's pretty hard to change (and of course, harder for some )