User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Default What does being "spontaneous" mean?

I was thinking whether I should really open the topic, but well, I just did.

I had to think about the meaning of being "spontaneous". One could say you are spontaneous when doing something you just want to do even though you planned something different before. But another could say that it means doing decisions fast. Or being flexible. Maybe there are other aspects.

Well, I love new things and ideas, I need some variety from time to time. I sometimes throw away ideas completely and take over a new one. But I cannot say that I meet decisions fast. In fact, I often can not really decide when being confronted with several options, I totally prolong decision and become really uncomfortable, because I would most like to do everything in the same time but cannot. When I just don't want to decide, I sometimes just stick then to the old things.

That seems somehow contradictionary to me. How do you think about that?

I'm intrigued by this too, I used to know someone who rated being spontaneous above most other things but when they tried to define it kind of just seemed like impulsivity.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I am in some ways obsessed with the idea of spontaneity and how it connects to creativity. It seems like the "easy" way to spontaneity is extroversion, at least to me. And you know, Ne can be quite out of control kind of thing... But, the thing that is even more interesting is the kind of internal spontaneity that leads to all creativity. I'm not sure how to get there, it seems like the most effective way for me is to not sleep, but this can't be too healthy. I've been thinking to try some sort of meditation... This kind of spontaneity is something you might relate to Taoist non-doing.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

To me, it's doing fun things without any reason, while for most people I know it just means fucking everyone you meet.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

For me, spontaneous means open to new possibilities as they appear in a momentary context. Spontaneity points to flexibility in ones actions, and can also be associated with impulse-driven behavior.

Thumbs down The Spontaneous Spring

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I am in some ways obsessed with the idea of spontaneity and how it connects to creativity. It seems like the "easy" way to spontaneity is extroversion, at least to me. And you know, Ne can be quite out of control kind of thing... But, the thing that is even more interesting is the kind of internal spontaneity that leads to all creativity. I'm not sure how to get there, it seems like the most effective way for me is to not sleep, but this can't be too healthy. I've been thinking to try some sort of meditation... This kind of spontaneity is something you might relate to Taoist non-doing.
    This is most interesting. For being an introvert is a voyage of discovery. And as we go deeper and deeper, the more we discover of ourselves.

We go past our social inhibitions, past our psychological defences into the heart of who we are. Sometimes we are afraid to discover what's there and we hold our breath, but all we need to do is breathe into the fount of life within us.

And lo, at our deepest root, we discover a bubbling spring that is springing delight from moment to moment.

All we need to do is attend to be refreshed.

We worry that as our attention fades so will the spring. But as we return we can always hear the spring in the distance and as we approach we are overwhelmed by the sparkling freshness of the water of life. We find the spring bubbles up independently of us and leaves us exuberant.

The spring is spontaneous as are we.

Very interesting topic! Thanks for the info.

I think that the unplanned, unanticipated and informal nature of things is what spontaneous refers to.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't know that it's being flexible per se. I see it as those times when you can go without a plan. This is not an easy concept for me, I admit. And in my mind, spontaneity is usually planned for - at least the block of time when I'm able to indulge.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    I see it as those times when you can go without a plan. This is not an easy concept for me, I admit. And in my mind, spontaneity is usually planned for - at least the block of time when I'm able to indulge.
    Amen. (and I am probably even worse in this regard than you)