User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default how do you calculate?

for example this: ((5-3+(6x5)) + (8+2-5)) x 2

i say this in my head: five two sixty thirty two, then keep 32 in mind by remembering 3 and the number before that. then eight ten five = five. thirtyseven sixty seventy two two = 4 = 74

how do you calculate this or can you explain it?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP

"Two, thirty, ten, five, makes thirty-two and five, why were those brackets there addition is associative, makes thirty-seven, times two, should end on four... seventy-four"
    But then in Dutch
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INTP

Look at the whole problem first. It's simple arithmetic, nothing tough involved. (breathe a sigh of relief.)

Divide the problem into manageable chunks. I do this instinctively, I can't really explain how. I divide this problem into three chunks:
    ((5-3+(6x5)) + (8+2-5)) x 2

Do the chunks by order of operation. The 6x5 is embedded by 3 layers of parentheses, so do that chunk first.

For the first chunk, 6x5=30. 5-3=2+30=32. (I know that last bit is horrible notation, but that's what I think.

For the second chunk, I could do either 32+8+2-5 or 32 + (8+2-5). I start adding 32+8, but then realize the second alternative is better. So, keeping 32 in mind, I do 8+2=10-5=5. Then 32+5=37.

For the third chunk, 37x2 = (30+7)x2 = 30x2 + 7x2 = 60 + 7x2 = 60 + 14 = 74

Phantonym

Inner monologue and reactions go as follows:

:eek: Math! Oh, it's not hard. *sigh of relief*. Lots of parentheses. Damn, I hated math in high school. Ew, the math teacher really sucked. She said I was lazy. I couldn't care less about math. Let's see, parentheses first. 6x5=30; 5-3=2; 2+30=32, let's keep that in mind. 8+2=10-5=5; 32-5= ooh, tough one, must use my fingers *a few seconds pass counting fingers*. That makes 27. Hm, I have nice hands, I've always liked my hands, I should get a manicure. Now, where was I? Crap, I forgot what I was supposed to do. I'm hungry, I should make breakfast. Focus, focus now. Bleh, let's see that again. 30; 2; 32; 5; yes, 27. No, nooooo. It's all messed up again. Let's start over. What? There was a plus sign in between there? Why did I think it was a minus? 32+5= *fingers, fingers* 37 ( that was easy, you moron, no fingers needed). Now 37x2.Tough one again. 30+30=60; 7+7=14; 60+14=74. Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!! You should have used a calculator.

This is not a joke! Doing all this in my mind is pretty tough, even if it is a simple equation. I need to focus and break the equation down. I mostly need to write stuff down during the problem solving. Visualizing doesn't really help, I need to see it in front of me in black and white. It's a miracle I finished high school.
    Last edited by Phantonym; 01-18-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Typo doh

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    for example this: ((5-3+(6x5)) + (8+2-5)) x 2

i say this in my head: five two sixty thirty two, then keep 32 in mind by remembering 3 and the number before that. then eight ten five = five. thirtyseven sixty seventy two two = 4 = 74

how do you calculate this or can you explain it?
    Something that simple I just step through.

2 32 37 74

(i see a 10-5 or 8-3 in the 32 to 37 step, my mind sort of groups known additions without thinking)

I was thinking I do a lot of going in order like that. Like 2539+3686, I'd go 5 11 61 11 621 15 6225. I don't really follow any set methods, just be aware of the underlying principles and use whatever intuitively feels best for the problem.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I work out the 2+35 bit then get the 8+2-5, realise I've already forgotten the first part so give up and go find something new to entertain me for a few more moments, and repeat the process. Finishing things is not my style. Fail =/

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Nah ? Now you're envious, huh ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

nah

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

I lost mine in first year eng . I feel sorry for whoever marked my electrical exam. I left it as atan and sqrt in half of the answers.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

hahaha
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]