User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default How do you process emotion?

How would you describe the way you process emotion personally (not necessarily in MBTI terms)

You do feel an emotion quickly or slowly in response to a situation?

Are your emotions intense or more lightly felt?

When you experience an emotion, can you identify its source and understand why?

Are your emotions pure and singular, or do they tend to be a mix of multiple feelings in a more layered and nuanced manner?

How much of your emotional experience lies beneath the surface in your subconscious and how much is consciously felt and known?*

How do you view the role of emotions in your life? Is it important to you to feel? Does it provide you with insight or do they get in the way of other things?

How do you react to people who experience emotion in an opposite way from how you do?

* To clarify this question you can have a sense of subconscious emotions based on behaviors that conflict with conscious emotion or thoughts, sometimes dreams can reveal emotions under the radar, or feelings that come up as you fall asleep that have little or no apparent source, etc.
    Last edited by labyrinthine; 01-10-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added description of subconscious emotion
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

My emotional response to situations is usually fairly quick. In fact, I can't imagine a slow emotional reaction. If I'm going to have one, then my reaction is going to be almost immediate.

I don't really know how to judge intensity, so I am going to measure it in terms of how well I can shake off a "wave" of emotion without having residual reactions or problems. In other words, an emotion is felt intensely to the degree that it incapacitates my mind for a significant period of time afterwards. In those terms, I'd say that I can shake emotional reactions very easily, so I'm going to say I feel them pretty lightly.

Most of the time, I guess. I'm rarely confused as to why I reacted a certain way to some external situation.

Are your emotions pure and singular, or do they tend to be a mix of multiple feelings in a more layered and nuanced manner?
    Pure and singular. I have never experienced a real "mix" of emotions in my life. If I'm angry, I'm completely angry, with no room for anything else. If I'm sad, I'm completely sad. And so on...

How much of your emotional experience lies beneath the surface in your subconscious and how much is consciously felt and known?
    I don't know...

How do you view the role of emotions in your life? Is it important to you to feel? Does it provide you with insight or do they get in the way of other things?
    I don't really feel very strongly one way or the other about my emotions. They are a fact of life, and usually they aren't a big enough deal to cause problems for me or get in the way. Of course, I don't really derive any sort of insight from them or anything. Sometimes, though, I do get a kick out of testing my emotions and artificially pushing them. For instance, "coming down" off of certain prescription psychostimulants increases my emotional lability, and I sometimes enjoy feeling what it must normally feel like to be an emotionally labile person. It is certainly an experience.

How do you react to people who experience emotion in an opposite way from how you do?
    These types of people simultaneously repulse and attract me. I am (theoretically, at least, or from a distance) attracted to their different way of experiencing things, but I am repulsed when I have to get my hands dirty dealing with their "drama."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Emotional reactions are immediate, it's just that they aren't what controls my reactions, aren't shared with others and may not be the reaction that others would consider normal. My normal initial reaction is to quickly gather as much information about the situation as I can and determine what is appropriate. For instance in a situation where someone wrongs me and anger may be the expected reaction I'll often feel curiosity or intrigue as to the other persons actions.

There are some emotions that are harder to overcome than others but generally they're not intense. The ones that are more intense tend to be things like elation, excitement, grief and feelings of hopelessness.

Yes. Understanding the source and why gives me greater ability to change the emotions I'm experiencing to something of my choosing. Anger for instance is pointless and self desctructive so when I feel anger I quickly notice why I've allowed that emotion to surface and replace it with something more productive.

Iunno, I think they're pretty simple and singular.

How much of your emotional experience lies beneath the surface in your subconscious and how much is consciously felt and known?
    Emotional experiences to important past events are generally in my subconscious and it takes some kind of cue to resurface them, otherwise they dissipate and are forgotten about reasonable quickly.

I find them interesting to understand, control and watch. Emotional reactions say so much about a person, being able to recognise how I'm feeling and choosing the healthiest reaction I know is important. It's not about not experiencing emotions, they are an important part of us, it's about not allowing the more negative and detrimental ones to run things.

People who are outwardly emotional are fine, people who express negative emotions such as anger on others are people I actively avoid. I consider it immature and irresponsible to not take control of your outward emotional reactions.

How would you describe the way you process emotion personally (not necessarily in MBTI terms)

I feel it, and then I think about what it means, and how (or if) to react to it at all. I think about the numerous whys concerning the emotion.

It usually flares quickly, and then calms quickly. It depends on the situation, though. With guilt or anger (on either side) I feel it quickly, maybe because those emotions are denser.

It depends on what it is. Sometimes I surprise myself with how strongly or weakly I'll feel something. Usually strongly though.

Yes. Well, I attempt to understand. I may not at first, but if I think about it enough the answer usually comes to me.

They are usually related to the issue at hand. Of course I have had instances (and will have instances) where the past, whether I want it to or not, may influence my emotions.

I'd like the answer to that as well. I don't know. I think think subconscious is incredibly powerful.

My emotions are an integral part of my life, they're very important to me. I think that they can provide me with insight if I look at them from a subjective point of view. Other times they can cloud my vision.

I realize that people are different from myself, and I take that into account when dealing with others. I usually slow down, and go into processing mode. I try to be as comforting and calming as possible. Big displays of wetter emotions make me uncomfortable at times. Not at all times, but sometimes.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quickly. It always shoots me in the back when I'm not looking.

I feel my emotions pretty intensely.

Sometimes, but I have a lot of time where I don't know why I'm feeling the way I am.

Usually its pretty layered.

...I really don't know.

I'm indifferent to my feelings. Thats how I am, and I know no different.

I don't, at least I don't think I do. I've always figured that everyone is going to react or feel differently about different things. Its no big deal to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

It varies. When I'm alone, it's usually immediate. When I'm with other people, I usually don't want to share my emotions with them, and in those cases my emotions are sometimes temporarily muted. It's not just that I hold them in, I actually feel them less. I'll often just start to feel tired drained and get an urge to withdraw when I'm with someone and something upsets me, and I won't feel an urge to cry or anything until I'm alone.

I experience a range of intensities.

Yes, almost always. Getting myself to take some positive action that might help is much harder though.

More often a mix, I guess. Though the same mixes tend to pop up over and over.

Well, that would be pretty hard to know, since if an emotion is subconscious then by definition I wouldn't be aware of it. Sometimes though, I find myself reacting as if I'm trying to distract myself or escape from something and when I stop and think about why, I can usually find some reason. So it seems I do shove some painful emotions underneath.

The ones I feel most often now just seem to keep me paralyzed and stuck, and prevent me from taking action to solve my problems. I think generally there's insight to be gained from emotions, but I've been stuck in the same place and feeling the same despair and frustration for so long that there's no more insight to be gained from this.

Depends what that means.

People who are very expressive of their pain can make me uncomfortable if I'm the only one around to deal with it, because I don't feel equipped. As long as I don't feel responsible for handling it, I'm okay with it.

People who make impulsive decisions or form intractable opinions based on emotion and little else can irritate me.

People who seem to gain something from their emotions, who can use them to improve themselves, gain insight or help others, make me sort of envious and fascinated.

Senior Member sketchymcsketcherson's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

This is an interesting idea for a thread.

Emotion comes in waves for me based on my environment, what's on my mind, etc. Usually, my predominant emotion is associated with the most important thing on my mind at the time.

It's pretty much instant.

It usually varies depending on how great the magnitude of the object of my emotions.

I can usually identify the source easily, because my emotions are either associated with the situation at hand or I have a vivid image in my mind of that which I fear, loathe, love, etc. while I'm feeling the emotion.

I can't always "understand why" because feelings have a tendency to defy logic. For the most part, though, I can understand why I might feel a certain way about something.

I can't really answer this for certain. There are some times I can definitely see my layered feelings, other times my feelings are simply very intense.

Depends on how intense the emotion is. If I'm very nervous about an upcoming situation, for example, I will feel both consciously uncomfortable and also physically ill. Even if I get my mind off it for a while, I am still very aware of a looming monster on the horizon.

I value my emotions. I'm happy with being an F, really. I have my Te to develop while I'm alive.

Sure, sometimes they get in the way, and sometimes I wish I could quiet my emotions just so I could go through my day without being such a worry-wart. But happiness, laughter, joy, and love are all emotions, and I get to experience them intensely as well. So they balance each other out (on a good day )

I can't really think of an example of this. I'd have to ponder on this more.

(BTW, do these sound like typical ISFP thoughts? I'm always looking to confirm my type...)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Do you feel an emotion quickly or slowly in response to a situation?
    Slowly. Very slowly. It's a slow build, but when it's finally to the point that I notice it...it's kind of ridiculous.

Intensely...but internally. Nobody else would know. Everybody views me as the most laid-back person on earth. I laugh when they tell me this.

I've noticed I've gotten better at doing this, and it makes me really excited. With that kind of knowledge, it's A LOT easier for me to work through my emotions. I still have some work to do in this area... Identifying the source has gotten much easier...I can be a little inconsistent on the "why". It's all about being more self-aware, I think.

It's always a mix. I can feel two completely conflicting emotions about something at the same exact time. I have these internal arguments with myself all the time. It drives me nuts.

It depends on what I'm going through in life at a certain point in time. It's kind of like things just get traded off between subconscious/conscious. I might forget about something for awhile, but it never completely goes away. And if something related happens, it comes back up to the surface again.

Emotions play a guiding role in my life...I can know if I'm on the right path based on my overall emotional health. I can learn a lot about something based on how I feel about it. They're important to me...when I don't feel, I feel kind of dead. My emotions don't get in the way (most of the time). I'm pretty good at overriding my emotions if I need to, to do what needs to be done. I can "switch off" and then deal with myself later.

I usually get annoyed with "dramatic" people. Which probably isn't fair. I'm probably just as emotional as them, but I keep it under wraps. I just don't like it when people aren't responsible with their emotions. I (like to think I) keep mine under control.

MBTI
    ENTP

Do you do feel an emotion quickly or slowly in response to a situation?
    i feel emotions quickly

intense

yes. usually understanding why gets me even deeper

pure and singular

i try to let as much of it consciously known and felt so i can deal with them. however, i do have a lot of them stored whether i know what they are or not

of course its important to me how i feel. its especially important to me to let others know how i feel. it doesnt really provide me with any real insight or get in the way either. its just my way of communicating with others and myself.

its hard for me to deal with people who react slow or dont show emotions at all. especially if theyre not vocal about their thoughts either. i find it very difficult to communicate with them. if i cant know whats going on in their head OR how they feel, it drives me berserk.
    She talks pretty but says mean things

MBTI
    ESFJ

Depends on the situation. I am more of a reactionary person so if i talk to someone who is upset then i'll become sad. Usually though they come slowly.

Majority of the time they are lightly felt, it is only when having a discussion with a loved one that they become more intense. I try to rationalise my emotions.

For the most part yes .. I need to move away from the situation first to clarify my thoughts though.

They are a pain in the backside because they are layered.

Again depends on the intensity and particular situation. When i am emotional, i am unable to rationalise the why's of that feelings so i become a mess. Pulling back i am able to consciously (not sure about unconsiously) reassess what i feel in a logical manner.

I don't like emotions. They are a hindrance although beneficial at times. Like i said, as long as i am in a position to back off from the situation with a time out, collect my thoughts in a quiet place, then i can go back with a rational mind andhopefully come to some sort of conclusion.

Each to their own, express it however you want, that doesn't bother me.
    I can sit and listen to anyone express how they feel. I could not do it full time though, they drain my energy (energy vampires). Due to my bluntness at times, i can come across as an inconsiderate prick if the person has been moaning and moaning about one subject for what seems like forever. I am aware that people go through a process with their emotions and i will try and help out if i can. However at some point, you have to stop thinking and start doing.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe