• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mannerisms vs. Type (same mannerisms, same type?)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I had wondered on and off about this and then yesterday I watched a SNL with Hugh Laurie in it. He acts exactly like my cousin when he isn't "acting." I would swear I was watching my cousin talk.

If people have the same mannerisms are they the same type?

What contributes to mannerisms if that isn't true?

What mannerisms do you see for certain types?

wolfy

awsm
I was hoping something like this would come from the video thread. That is where you could check the theory out.

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
I've noticed this too, but I haven't noticed it being a type thing. I could be wrong though. Its not even something I can distinguish very much on a minute level - its just in a very broad sense (x person reminds me of y person).

Interested to see others opinions on this.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
mannerism wise, my ENFJ sis and ISFJ mom have A LOT in common (people comment on this whenever they've met both of them). They don't have quite as much in common once you get to know them better- on the surface though, you'd think that they were the same! :yes:

I really don't meet many people with much in common with me mannerism-wise though :(

ubiquitous1

I think a lot of my mannerisms are like my istj mom, so, for me, I think they are more learned. However, while watching Aphrodite's video I noticed she clasped her hands while standing and talking; this is something that I also do.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Mannerisms could fit an axis at least... so you could expect a very introverted individual to exhibit classic shyness or withdrawal mannerisms such as covering the face, or hiding behind a hand. An extraverted intuitive (say an ENTP) to wave their arms around when talking.

And so on.

I can't say I have noticed common mannerisms as such in the people I know of a particular type, although speed and nature of discourse certainly can be spotted. So, an excitable xNTP will talk quickly and crazily about a subject they are enthused by. If that counts as a mannerism.

sofmarhof

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, here's me, do other INTPs match?
1) I talk painfully slowly, people comment on it all the time.
2) I can not raise my voice, in loud places people ask me to repeat everything I say.
3) I often don't finish sentences, so imprecise, but I use precise vocabulary and structure... in the half sentence that does make it out of my mouth.
4) I gesture with my hands when I talk, more vague flailing than anything that actually communicates anything.
5) I make goofy faces, especially to express dislike.

Usehername

On a mission
Only slightly related, but too good to not post: do you think the Swedish twins are the same MBTI type?
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io-SllViwSk"]Sedins[/YOUTUBE]

ygolo

My termites win
mannerism wise, my ENFJ sis and ISFJ mom have A LOT in common (people comment on this whenever they've met both of them). They don't have quite as much in common once you get to know them better- on the surface though, you'd think that they were the same! :yes:

I really don't meet many people with much in common with me mannerism-wise though :(

Yeah, I generally thought manerisms were family related.

To the OP, are you sure you also don't have similar manerisms?

Still, I really identify with the following:

1) I talk painfully slowly, people comment on it all the time.
2) I can not raise my voice, in loud places people ask me to repeat everything I say.
3) I often don't finish sentences, so imprecise, but I use precise vocabulary and structure... in the half sentence that does make it out of my mouth.
4) I gesture with my hands when I talk, more vague flailing than anything that actually communicates anything.
5) I make goofy faces, especially to express dislike.

I don't talk enough for people to comment on my slowness too often, but I have gotten it once or twice.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmmm.... :thinking:

This is very interesting to me.

Me = ESTP
My Dad = ESTJ
My best friend = ESFP

My best friend and I are so much alike it is not even funny. Both bodybuilders, both looney as hell, both very active while speaking (arms waving, jumping up and making faces, whatever necessary to give life to our topic) and both full ojn for having fun/being silly over any other possible mode of operation.

My Dad's persona is very, very similar to mine if I am at work. Still very lively, still active, still fun, but task oriented. He has a much better sense of protocol and organizational tact (33 years in the US Army, retired as a Colonel) but he can crack a joke out of nowhere if he wants to, but please God, do not get in the way of what he has conceived of as a schedule in his mind. I am serious and determined, but my Dad takes that to a whole different level.

Another good friend of mine is ISFP, and he and I are only similar when he is in a lively mood, otherwise there can be stark differences. His sister, another very good friend of mine is INTP. Her and I hit it off big time on humor, but she is very reserved and calculating, and I am very glad I never pissed her off in the 25 years I've known her.

I'm looking forward to the responses of others... :)

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
dont think it implies that.

type determines the reasoning/motivations behind actions. reasoning determines actions. actions are mannerisms...right?

once you figure out a person's motivations, you're well on your way to figuring out their type

2 people go bungee jumping. are they the same type?
no, cuz one does it to experience the thrill while the other does it to cross it off their do-once-in-life list

people wash their hands before sitting down to eat
-one did it cuz to sanitize themselves
-one did it cuz soap in the dispenser smells good
-one did it to keep his wife happy
-one did it cuz his hands were dry
-one did it cuz he is a germophobe

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Can't really relate.

1) I talk painfully slowly, people comment on it all the time. If anything, I'm more often tripping over my own words because my tongue muscle can't keep up.)
(perhaps it comes with having some acting experience, but I have rather decent projection abilities. I've actually been told I can't whisper quietly)
3) I often don't finish sentences, so imprecise, but I use precise vocabulary and structure... in the half sentence that does make it out of my mouth. (been working on this habit. I think I've gotten to the point where's it no longer even remotely an issue)
4) I gesture with my hands when I talk, more vague flailing than anything that actually communicates anything. (The flailing only applies if I'm pacing while I talk. Otherwise, I'm more prone to simply moving my hands in an attempt to make a visual for how my thought process is flowing)
5) I make goofy faces, especially to express dislike.(I actually have a preference for deadpan when expressing my dislikes. Extreme facial expression is mostly reserved for sarcasm, so that it's more obvious when I'm using it.)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
type determines the reasoning/motivations behind actions. reasoning determines actions. actions are mannerisms...right?

Not always. But your point is interesting.

once you figure out a person's motivations, you're well on your way to figuring out their type

I disagree with this completely, especially for fucked up, evil people. Their actions/motivations have nothing tio do with their type. Their type does however determine how they will most likely pursue their motivations, is that what you are saying?

2 people go bungee jumping. are they the same type?
no, cuz one does it to experience the thrill while the other does it to cross it off their do-once-in-life list

Haaa! Nice example! Really! :nice:

people wash their hands before sitting down to eat
-one did it cuz to sanitize themselves
-one did it cuz soap in the dispenser smells good
-one did it to keep his wife happy
-one did it cuz his hands were dry
-one did it cuz he is a germophobe

And one of those filthy bastards just smeared their own poop on the wall of a truckstop bathroom. Don't forget that sicko. :laugh:

Good stuff.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Not always. But your point is interesting.

I disagree with this completely, especially for fucked up, evil people. Their actions/motivations have nothing tio do with their type. Their type does however determine how they will most likely pursue their motivations, is that what you are saying?

close. how they pursue their motivation is important.

equally important is how they came to form those motivations.
motivations come from how you perceive the world around you...if evil people perceive the world as something they should be evil to, then their motivations are all screwed up too...i think its prolly a line of logic normal people even begin to understand...hence the label 'nutcase'

yeah...that bungee jump example was literally taken out of my life. one friend was praying the entire time just to get through it. us others were feeling every fucking second that cord was tied to our feets

Fecal McAngry

I had wondered on and off about this and then yesterday I watched a SNL with Hugh Laurie in it. He acts exactly like my cousin when he isn't "acting." I would swear I was watching my cousin talk.

If people have the same mannerisms are they the same type?

What contributes to mannerisms if that isn't true?

What mannerisms do you see for certain types?
You will notice many commonalities amongst people of a certain type, and certainly it is true that, for example, INFJs have a very distinctive look, characteristic expressions, style of dress, etc.

Naturally, however, mannerisms are a subset of behavior, and behavior is multifactorial WRT influences...

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I don't think we have consolidation on what classifies as a mannerism here.....

Clasping your hand to your mouth isn't a mannerism, or at least not the kind of mannerism I look for when figuring out if someone is NFP or SJ.

I DO think there is relationship between type and voice inflections/patterns, certain body postures, etc. And these aren't very overt patterns, they are subtle, but yes I very much notice them and its the principle thing I use to type with.

To me, the most noticeable mannerism is the (female) NFPs special brand of daydreaming ditziness/lack of graceful movement. It's like they get so excited to rush over to a place that clumsiness is inevitable. Its more than just clumsiness, though, it's in their body movements and posturing. VERY difficult to describe accurately, and it's not always present.

oh that, and for some reason, I see tons of female ENFPs that have their eyes like WIDE open, like they are high or something.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Personally I can pick up mannerisms easily from almost any type, if i spend enough tiem around them, Therefore I don't think mannerisms can be related to type.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't know.

I prompt people to finish their sentences when they don't (my brother does this a LOT)
I hunch over my work in concentration
I pace a lot
I do things precisely before I do them quickly (basic things like chopping vegetables, etc)
I often fiddle with my hair, clothes, hands, face, etc

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't think we have consolidation on what classifies as a mannerism here.....

I DO think there is relationship between type and voice inflections/patterns, certain body postures, etc. And these aren't very overt patterns, they are subtle, but yes I very much notice them and its the principle thing I use to type with.

Yeah, 'mannerism' can mean many different things, and type is one thing that can influence them.

I recall reading quite a bit of discussion here on this youtube clip and the "INTP eyes". I know when I watch it there's something that feels eerily familiar about her gaze. I've seen the same kind of look in my eyes, in the mirror or in candid pictures of me. It's a bit freaky watching the clip actually; it's like seeing my eyes on someone else.

I often see slow and hesitant speech as a description of an INTP characteristic. I can't really relate to it, since I prefer not to speak at all unless I feel sure of what I'm going to say and how I'm going to say it. As a result I'm silent most of the time. So I have the same delay in verbalizing the contents of my mind, but I deal with it differently. That's likely one reason why common mannerisms might be hard to find: people might have a characteristic in common, but behave differently as a result.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Well, as I recall, people thought my video reminded them more of an INFJ than an INFP, possibly because I choose my words carefully and come off a little too well-spoken. >.> I think my mannerisms easily reflect my thought processes, like it's obvious when I go from being happy to realizing I did something stupid. My voice speeds up ridiculously when I'm excited and then slows the more unsure I feel. I've been told I'm expressive, especially by my T friends. ^^; I also correct myself as I talk, and work very hard not to stammer.

I'm extremely slow in all my movements, my ISFJ friend teases me for acting "dainty" especially when eating, and I'm spacier than an astronaut. You can tell, because I get this stunned deer-in-headlights look when I discover you've been trying to talk to me for the past ten minutes.