User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    dont think it implies that.

    type determines the reasoning/motivations behind actions. reasoning determines actions. actions are mannerisms...right?

    once you figure out a person's motivations, you're well on your way to figuring out their type

    2 people go bungee jumping. are they the same type?
    no, cuz one does it to experience the thrill while the other does it to cross it off their do-once-in-life list

    people wash their hands before sitting down to eat
    -one did it cuz to sanitize themselves
    -one did it cuz soap in the dispenser smells good
    -one did it to keep his wife happy
    -one did it cuz his hands were dry
    -one did it cuz he is a germophobe

  2. #12
    That chalkboard guy Matthew_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    xxxx
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Can't really relate.

    Quote Originally Posted by sofmarhof View Post
    Well, here's me, do other INTPs match?
    1) I talk painfully slowly, people comment on it all the time. If anything, I'm more often tripping over my own words because my tongue muscle can't keep up.)
    2) I can not raise my voice, in loud places people ask me to repeat everything I say.
    (perhaps it comes with having some acting experience, but I have rather decent projection abilities. I've actually been told I can't whisper quietly)
    3) I often don't finish sentences, so imprecise, but I use precise vocabulary and structure... in the half sentence that does make it out of my mouth. (been working on this habit. I think I've gotten to the point where's it no longer even remotely an issue)
    4) I gesture with my hands when I talk, more vague flailing than anything that actually communicates anything. [b](The flailing only applies if I'm pacing while I talk. Otherwise, I'm more prone to simply moving my hands in an attempt to make a visual for how my thought process is flowing)
    5) I make goofy faces, especially to express dislike.(I actually have a preference for deadpan when expressing my dislikes. Extreme facial expression is mostly reserved for sarcasm, so that it's more obvious when I'm using it.)
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

  3. #13
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    type determines the reasoning/motivations behind actions. reasoning determines actions. actions are mannerisms...right?
    Not always. But your point is interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    once you figure out a person's motivations, you're well on your way to figuring out their type
    I disagree with this completely, especially for fucked up, evil people. Their actions/motivations have nothing tio do with their type. Their type does however determine how they will most likely pursue their motivations, is that what you are saying?

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    2 people go bungee jumping. are they the same type?
    no, cuz one does it to experience the thrill while the other does it to cross it off their do-once-in-life list
    Haaa! Nice example! Really!

    Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    people wash their hands before sitting down to eat
    -one did it cuz to sanitize themselves
    -one did it cuz soap in the dispenser smells good
    -one did it to keep his wife happy
    -one did it cuz his hands were dry
    -one did it cuz he is a germophobe
    And one of those filthy bastards just smeared their own poop on the wall of a truckstop bathroom. Don't forget that sicko.

    Good stuff.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    entp
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Not always. But your point is interesting.

    I disagree with this completely, especially for fucked up, evil people. Their actions/motivations have nothing tio do with their type. Their type does however determine how they will most likely pursue their motivations, is that what you are saying?
    close. how they pursue their motivation is important.

    equally important is how they came to form those motivations.
    motivations come from how you perceive the world around you...if evil people perceive the world as something they should be evil to, then their motivations are all screwed up too...i think its prolly a line of logic normal people even begin to understand...hence the label 'nutcase'


    yeah...that bungee jump example was literally taken out of my life. one friend was praying the entire time just to get through it. us others were feeling every fucking second that cord was tied to our feets

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I had wondered on and off about this and then yesterday I watched a SNL with Hugh Laurie in it. He acts exactly like my cousin when he isn't "acting." I would swear I was watching my cousin talk.

    If people have the same mannerisms are they the same type?

    What contributes to mannerisms if that isn't true?

    What mannerisms do you see for certain types?
    You will notice many commonalities amongst people of a certain type, and certainly it is true that, for example, INFJs have a very distinctive look, characteristic expressions, style of dress, etc.

    Naturally, however, mannerisms are a subset of behavior, and behavior is multifactorial WRT influences...

  6. #16
    DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    Hype
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    I don't think we have consolidation on what classifies as a mannerism here.....

    Clasping your hand to your mouth isn't a mannerism, or at least not the kind of mannerism I look for when figuring out if someone is NFP or SJ.

    I DO think there is relationship between type and voice inflections/patterns, certain body postures, etc. And these aren't very overt patterns, they are subtle, but yes I very much notice them and its the principle thing I use to type with.

    To me, the most noticeable mannerism is the (female) NFPs special brand of daydreaming ditziness/lack of graceful movement. It's like they get so excited to rush over to a place that clumsiness is inevitable. Its more than just clumsiness, though, it's in their body movements and posturing. VERY difficult to describe accurately, and it's not always present.

    oh that, and for some reason, I see tons of female ENFPs that have their eyes like WIDE open, like they are high or something.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Personally I can pick up mannerisms easily from almost any type, if i spend enough tiem around them, Therefore I don't think mannerisms can be related to type.

  8. #18
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    I don't know.

    I prompt people to finish their sentences when they don't (my brother does this a LOT)
    I hunch over my work in concentration
    I pace a lot
    I do things precisely before I do them quickly (basic things like chopping vegetables, etc)
    I often fiddle with my hair, clothes, hands, face, etc
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #19
    (blankpages) Xenon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I don't think we have consolidation on what classifies as a mannerism here.....

    I DO think there is relationship between type and voice inflections/patterns, certain body postures, etc. And these aren't very overt patterns, they are subtle, but yes I very much notice them and its the principle thing I use to type with.
    Yeah, 'mannerism' can mean many different things, and type is one thing that can influence them.

    I recall reading quite a bit of discussion here on this youtube clip and the "INTP eyes". I know when I watch it there's something that feels eerily familiar about her gaze. I've seen the same kind of look in my eyes, in the mirror or in candid pictures of me. It's a bit freaky watching the clip actually; it's like seeing my eyes on someone else.

    I often see slow and hesitant speech as a description of an INTP characteristic. I can't really relate to it, since I prefer not to speak at all unless I feel sure of what I'm going to say and how I'm going to say it. As a result I'm silent most of the time. So I have the same delay in verbalizing the contents of my mind, but I deal with it differently. That's likely one reason why common mannerisms might be hard to find: people might have a characteristic in common, but behave differently as a result.

  10. #20
    See Right Through Me Bubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,037

    Default

    Well, as I recall, people thought my video reminded them more of an INFJ than an INFP, possibly because I choose my words carefully and come off a little too well-spoken. >.> I think my mannerisms easily reflect my thought processes, like it's obvious when I go from being happy to realizing I did something stupid. My voice speeds up ridiculously when I'm excited and then slows the more unsure I feel. I've been told I'm expressive, especially by my T friends. ^^; I also correct myself as I talk, and work very hard not to stammer.

    I'm extremely slow in all my movements, my ISFJ friend teases me for acting "dainty" especially when eating, and I'm spacier than an astronaut. You can tell, because I get this stunned deer-in-headlights look when I discover you've been trying to talk to me for the past ten minutes.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

    My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

    DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] Type 1 INFJ vs. Type 4 INFJ
    By Cloud of Thunder in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-30-2017, 03:24 PM
  2. [E2] Spotting differences between a Type 2 ENFP vs Type 2 ENFJ
    By Phoenix in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-08-2016, 05:10 PM
  3. [Enne] Anger in Type 6 vs Type 8
    By windoverlake in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2015, 08:48 PM
  4. [Enne] Type 9 vs type 5 - differences?
    By seradane in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM
  5. Androdgony vs Type
    By Ulaes in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2009, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO