A while back reading Eric Fromm's Art of Listening, which was his "method" of therapy in outline I was able to make a list of the things which he thought were curative factors in addressing what he considered "modern character neurosis", now perhaps this wouldnt really be considered neurosis these days and if it was as something necessarily needing therapy.
Anyway, I've thought about developing this list as something to use myself in personal and professional development, its sort of what I'm interested in besides visiting online forums to shoot the shit with random strangers.
Fromm sees the short list as:
- Changing one's own action
- Developing Interest in the world
- Learning to think critically
- Knowledge of oneself and getting aware of one's unconscious
- Becoming aware of one's body
- To concentrate and meditate
- To discover one's own narcissism
- Analyzing oneself
So I was wondering, do you think its a useful or a waste of time to engage in any sort of personal development or self-improvement at all? Do you think this list is any good? What way would you world or change it if you were to reinvent it? If you were to try and practice any of these how would you go about it?