User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    it feeds into your type and is read the way your type would read it, handled the way your type handles it
    agree. People are not more than their type, probably, but people are really complicated and there exists variation within type such that people can be unique.

When I see people say that 'people are more than their type' I usually think that they are saying that people can act outside of their type's stereotypically expected gamut of actions, and still be consistent with their type.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Typology is a low resolution view of human behavior.
    I like this

Type is a macro view, and if you give a damn about people (or about sustaining a macro project) you'll sometimes give a damn about the details of the people, yeah?

Or, actually, if you give a big damn about people, you'll eschew type altogether and build a personal picture from the details, yeah?
    Type is a framework you start with. And as you get to know someone you fit their personal details to the framework. Type does not obscure or alter the 'personal picture'. If you never get to know someone, you still have the framework to go off of, and if the theory is good the framework is better than nothing.

MBTI
    entp

I agree.

And every time I say I do I worry that I'm wrong. But... how can the presence of preferred cognitive functions within your "self" NOT be substantially defining of that self? The "self" is something other than the cognitive processing of the world as it comes at you?

but it IS defining of who you are.

the functions as they come to you present you with a perception of the world. that perception if based off of your exposure to the world. The exposure feeds your functions. Specifically the functions used to build a framework through which to judge the world (Fi, Si, Ti)

approaching it in another way, you are defined by the way you interact with the world. The way you interact with the world is defined by what you know about the world. What you know about the world comes from how you perceive the world. your perception of the world is drawn through what you think of the world. and what you think of the world comes from experiences and rationalizations as they appeal to you. And here come your functions, specifically Si, Fi, and Ti.

Thus, the presence of the functions only define your perception of the world.
    It is through that perception that you are defined. Which is also why it is relatively easy to change your opinion about things...

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    whatever, Thatgirl.
    or whatever your name is.
    You all just look like NT's to me.
    so like...non-terrestrial?

how mean

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

When I get to know a person, or if I try to get a feel for them, I look at them holistically. Meaning, regardless of type, there are various factors involved, which helps shapes a person's attitude, beliefs, and values that I take note of.

Ex:
    -Background (where they came from, socioeconomic conditions, ethnicity, religion, family, birth order, geography, generation, experiences).
    -Where/how they were raised (a person's past is part of who they are, but doesn't define them if they chose so).
    -Beliefs (politics, family, gender, religion/non-religion).
    -Likes/dislikes.
    -Major life influences.

I think temperament is a huge key to a personality (perhaps 1/3rd of the pie), but when we look at the smaller elements/combine it together as a whole, that's where we are distinctly unique.

MBTI
    ENTP

Sure. I guess this isn't the first time this subject comes up.

1) Most persons don't fit one type.

2) Even for novel characters I want to know more than their type. Background, their goals in life, their weaknesses, their fears, their talents...

eg. Main Character is curious, afraid of heights, wants to help defend her country, is daughter of a carpenter, etc (add five more lines)
    ... and, oh yes, she's also an ESTJ.

Quote Originally Posted by lamp View Post
    Type is a framework you start with. And as you get to know someone you fit their personal details to the framework.
    I don't do that. I can't type somebody unless I know him/her very well. I've tried to type some of my characters because I wanted to work them out. But then I realised I tried to fit them to a type. Of course, this isn't a problem for real people because well, they don't change when your idea of them changes. Imaginary characters, however, they are nothing more than what you think about them.
    So I write first about them and only when I have some idea of their character, I try to type them. Type comes last.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

You think in a particular way, be it in leaps and bounds or distinct steps the way you think is put into a dichotemy. MBTI is a way for you to separate the way you think from the way others think. Which is why there are so many 4, 5 and 9s around here... I think.. not sure that it's related, I have an inkling... damned intuition.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

So, yeah, type is just a PART of who you are, right? I keep hearing this. What's the other part, again? The history and accidents over which your type is instantiated?
    I think these do determine your “self”, but only as far as your ego self goes, i.e. personality, which is how you see and feel your self as far as you are aware – your “idea” of your self. This is impacted by how others treat you, your experiences, etc. as well as your preferred cognitive functions because these affect the kind of information you take in and how you process that in relation to your idea of yourself. But this is still in the realm of ideas, information, images. So this "self" is still just an idea, an image.

An idea/image can change or be inaccurate, etc. But does who you are objectively change just because your idea about it changed? Logically, no. Ego self is thus an illusion, although it seems real.

I think though that the ego consciousness is a necessary thing in order for us to function in the world, but I think it is more of a vehicle of the self rather the self itself. So as far as type goes, ISTJ is how I maybe function in certain ways, but it isn't my actual "self". And neither is the sum of my history and accidents my "self" either.

Senior Member tastes_like_purple's Avatar
    MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram

I think type is just an insight into the person but not the person as a whole
    A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes,
    I screamed aloud, as it tore through them,
    and now it's left me blind...