User Tag List

123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default Are people without much imagination more likely to hurt others?

This is just a theory I have. I tend to think that if you have a good imagination, you will have a better idea of the potential consequences of your actions and how other people can be hurt by what you do.

Perhaps I'm equating imagination with empathy...not sure.

I've gradually come to the conclusion that most people don't hurt others out of wickedness or evil intent, but simply because they're thoughtless (and selfish...and perhaps unimaginative). Unfortunately, the way that works out, it ends up being just about as bad as malicious intent.

Thoughts?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    infp

I don't think it's about the imagination of a person, rather the other things you mentioned "they're thoughtless and selfish".

Sometimes people use very vivid imaginations to carry out cruel acts of vengeance, or simple evil on their part, without imagination they couldn't have thought up the cruelty that they did.

You can have imagination, without being the type of person to imagine walking a mile in anothers shoes, which is what it really takes to be thoughtful in the first place.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

A good imagination is also useful when you do want to hurt others.

Just sayin

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I don't think it's about the imagination of a person, rather the other things you mentioned "they're thoughtless and selfish".

Sometimes people use very vivid imaginations to carry out cruel acts of vengeance, or simple evil on their part, without imagination they couldn't have thought up the cruelty that they did.

You can have imagination, without being the type of person to imagine walking a mile in anothers shoes, which is what it really takes to be thoughtful in the first place.
    Yes to both your posts...the imaginative cruelty thing did occur to me as well! Perhaps it is more about empathy (or the lack thereof, + thoughtlessness and selfishness)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Are people without much empathy more likely to hurt others?
    That's what you're asking?

Yes, they are more likely to hurt others since they don't have much insight to other peoples feelings, so they might not consider them when interacting with others. Add selfishness to that, yes, toes will be stepped on.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    Are people without much empathy more likely to hurt others?
    That's what you're asking?
    Well, the original question was about imagination, but perhaps we have already concluded that the hurtfulness isn't to do with lack of imagination, but lack of empathy. Hm...this thread may not go very far.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't think so, because you could equally argue that people with little imagination can easily understand the concrete consequences of their actions (i.e. hurting others).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I guess you could correlate a good imagination with the ability to see things from others' perspectives. If you can hop into others' shoes for a change, you'll better understand how they are feeling in certain contexts. However, a good imagination is not the only prerequisite for decreasing your risk of hurting others. On top of seeing from the other person's perspective, you must actually care about and give merit to this perspective. If you don't care about it, you could use your imagination to hurt others.

I think young ENTPs are the epitome of imaginative little pain in the asses. Many young ENTPs understand how to really irk people based on their own specific set of traits, and they know this because they are pretty good at imagining other's perspectives by connecting the character traits and behaviors with potential beliefs patterns. They tend to use this skill experimentally against other people at first because it's "entertaining." However, as ENTPs mature and develop their tert Fe in a positive light, they are much more likely to actually care about others' perspectives and use their understanding as a tool in preventing emotional distress.

MBTI
    INTJ

Selfishness probably causes a lot of the hurt in this world, but I don't think it's purposeful selfishness except on rare occasions. It's more survival instinct than anything. Everyone is selfish and self-centered, just in varying ways depending on their values or personality.

If feeling liked and needed makes you feel like you'll have a better chance at survival, I imagine you'd be more likely to seek ways to help and be beneficial to others. Likewise, if being the best at something makes you feel more likely to survive, you may not bother help others. *shrug*

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

hmm...as to the OP it seems that those with imagination tend to be more successful in eliminating themselves from the gene pool.

2008 Darwin Award WINNER: Priest Visits Boss (Balloon Priest) (Padre Baloneiro)

Consider the Imaginative Priest's audacious attempt to set a world record for clustered balloon flight was intended to publicize his plan to build spiritual rest stops for truckers.

Imagination can be a beautiful thing.