User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Narcissists feel nothing

I'm reading a book by someone called Alexander Lowen, M.D. he's influenced greatly by Wilhelm Reich and believes that neurosis and narcissistic personality disorder are caused by a lack of feeling.

Now my question is does this seem like a pathologisation of a particular type? For some people feeling comes easy for others its more difficult and they're naturally thinkers but is that an indicator of being more or less in touch with feeling and consequently more or less susceptible to developing a disorder?

Perhaps its just a particular strength or vulnerability and a feeling type could be susceptible to something else?

MBTI
    ENTP

I think I may have read the same book but I've read a fair bit around Nars not so much on Neurosis...

Narcs only feel their own pain... and sometimes wear emotional veils for show..... I caught one doing that about 2 years ago... the bizzarest thing....

The only genuine pain they feel are there own shame/pain... they go nuts if you challenge their perceptions of themselves....

There are plenty of people who will say one psyciatric condition is more relevant to one type of another... but it's nonsense....

If INTPs=1% of the population and Narcs = 1% of the population you need a massive sample of INTP's to be able to show up the range of psyciatric conditions... if that makes sense... when doing stats for small percetages of populations, many skews can ligitimately occur in statistics, but it only amounds to a few people to the statistic method albeit correct it flawed....

But I'll let you hear tale for lot of people about which conditions supposidly relate to which type....

Enjoy

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm reading a book by someone called Alexander Lowen, M.D. he's influenced greatly by Wilhelm Reich and believes that neurosis and narcissistic personality disorder are caused by a lack of feeling.
    What does the Doc mean by 'lack of feeling'? Lack of empathy? Lack of emotion? Inability to see or respond to emotions from other people?

MBTI
    intp

Even Fs can lack emotional depth, just as Ts can be irrational and stupid. And vice versa, Ts can have emotional depth.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I consider myself pretty narcissistic.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I think I may have read the same book but I've read a fair bit around Nars not so much on Neurosis...

Narcs only feel their own pain... and sometimes wear emotional veils for show..... I caught one doing that about 2 years ago... the bizzarest thing....

The only genuine pain they feel are there own shame/pain... they go nuts if you challenge their perceptions of themselves....

There are plenty of people who will say one psyciatric condition is more relevant to one type of another... but it's nonsense....

If INTPs=1% of the population and Narcs = 1% of the population you need a massive sample of INTP's to be able to show up the range of psyciatric conditions... if that makes sense... when doing stats for small percetages of populations, many skews can ligitimately occur in statistics, but it only amounds to a few people to the statistic method albeit correct it flawed....

But I'll let you hear tale for lot of people about which conditions supposidly relate to which type....

Enjoy
    What do you mean by an emotional veil?
    5 3 9