• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Narcissists feel nothing

Lark

I'm reading a book by someone called Alexander Lowen, M.D. he's influenced greatly by Wilhelm Reich and believes that neurosis and narcissistic personality disorder are caused by a lack of feeling.

Now my question is does this seem like a pathologisation of a particular type? For some people feeling comes easy for others its more difficult and they're naturally thinkers but is that an indicator of being more or less in touch with feeling and consequently more or less susceptible to developing a disorder?

Perhaps its just a particular strength or vulnerability and a feeling type could be susceptible to something else?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think I may have read the same book :) but I've read a fair bit around Nars not so much on Neurosis...

Narcs only feel their own pain... and sometimes wear emotional veils for show..... I caught one doing that about 2 years ago... the bizzarest thing....

The only genuine pain they feel are there own shame/pain... they go nuts if you challenge their perceptions of themselves....

There are plenty of people who will say one psyciatric condition is more relevant to one type of another... but it's nonsense....

If INTPs=1% of the population and Narcs = 1% of the population you need a massive sample of INTP's to be able to show up the range of psyciatric conditions... if that makes sense... when doing stats for small percetages of populations, many skews can ligitimately occur in statistics, but it only amounds to a few people to the statistic method albeit correct it flawed....

But I'll let you hear tale for lot of people about which conditions supposidly relate to which type....

Enjoy

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm reading a book by someone called Alexander Lowen, M.D. he's influenced greatly by Wilhelm Reich and believes that neurosis and narcissistic personality disorder are caused by a lack of feeling.

What does the Doc mean by 'lack of feeling'? Lack of empathy? Lack of emotion? Inability to see or respond to emotions from other people?

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Even Fs can lack emotional depth, just as Ts can be irrational and stupid. And vice versa, Ts can have emotional depth.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I consider myself pretty narcissistic.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think I may have read the same book :) but I've read a fair bit around Nars not so much on Neurosis...

Narcs only feel their own pain... and sometimes wear emotional veils for show..... I caught one doing that about 2 years ago... the bizzarest thing....

The only genuine pain they feel are there own shame/pain... they go nuts if you challenge their perceptions of themselves....

There are plenty of people who will say one psyciatric condition is more relevant to one type of another... but it's nonsense....

If INTPs=1% of the population and Narcs = 1% of the population you need a massive sample of INTP's to be able to show up the range of psyciatric conditions... if that makes sense... when doing stats for small percetages of populations, many skews can ligitimately occur in statistics, but it only amounds to a few people to the statistic method albeit correct it flawed....

But I'll let you hear tale for lot of people about which conditions supposidly relate to which type....

Enjoy

What do you mean by an emotional veil?