User Tag List

12 Last

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Problem point for the psychologically aware in job interviews: "Describe yourself".

I feel I got too much knowledge of myself to answer the question like a regular guy.

What are your ideas?

-----
    Edit: Clarification. As I have English as my second language, but I still attempt to form as complex of a sentence structures as those who have it as a native language, I sometimes get misunderstood. The premise of my idea this time, is this:

1) In a setting of job interview,
    2) people regularly get the task of "describing themselves"
    3) and as someone psychologically aware,
    4) my responses are likely to differ from the norm.
    5) I'm seeking insight to this general phenomena.
    6) In these types of threads, I usually get more personal responses than I want, even though I wanted to keep the conversation interesting to everyone, as opposed to something that pertained to me only.
    7) I'm not starting to make these clarifications to every thread I start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I so agree with that too, one of the down sides of psychological awareness I guess.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Three words: hard working, alpha male, jackhammer…merciless…insatiable…

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Three words: hard working, alpha male, jackhammer…merciless…insatiable…

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I would limit my answers to things directly pertinent to a job interview. The things people really want to know are:

1) Can this person do the job?
    2) Can this person get along with peers, subordinates (if any) and bosses?
    3) Is this person a good fit with the work environment?
    4) Does this person have enough independence to do things on his or her own, but still enough sense to ask for help/additional input when needed?

Remember that it's a little like dating, where each side is trying to figure out if a longer term relationship is worth pursuing. You don't dump all your negatives on someone on a first date, but you shouldn't mislead them about who are you, either.

So, I would recommend being honest, but allowing yourself to describe your strengths and not dwell mostly on your weaknesses. You don't want to sound like you think you walk on water, but you don't want to sound pathetic and self-hating either.

MBTI
    ENTJ

On the last one, I told that's a tough one, because I have a hobby in analytical personality. I'm supposed to know something of myself.

She encouraged me to tell, so I laughingly told about the MBTI and ENTJ, in about 25 seconds. She listened, and we talked briedly. She looked like she accepted and understood my thing.

I laughingly dismissed the idea of myself as a "leader", telling there's a strategy and a feeling element to me, and I've mellowed down, I want to live life, and you know, understand and be cool (Edit: the last one, coolness thing I didn't express directly, just with my attitude), and that I want to experience things. Then there's this element of being dutiful, which is always with me. I am very sure I gave a relaxed, balanced feeling of myself, even though I spoke of duty and strategy. I think it seemed like something in balance.

I do think that even mentioning something like "leader personality", only if in jest, put me in the pool of the discarded applicants.

I *had* to try it, to see if leadership traits are really being discriminated that badly. I had to try it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    I feel I got too much knowledge of myself to answer the question like a regular guy.
    My from the hip response to such a question would be:

"If I were to describe myself, I'd have to state that I am a motivated, dedicated, and resourceful person. I am mission oriented and ensure that tasks I am responsible for will meet agreed upon expectations of quality, schedule, and cost. I am direct yet polite. I believe that work products should be accurate, clear, concise, and complete. I believe in effectiveness and efficiency. Make things work first, then make them pretty. I like to have a plan and to see my plan executing successfully. If it does not I am glad to always have "Plan B" in my back pocket. I am persistent, I am loyal, and I am always looking for opportunities to apply the knowledge and experience that I have wielded in past endeavors to new and challenging initiatives.

I am comfortable working in groups or alone, and function well under general supervision. Tell me what you want done, when you need it, and what I have to work with. I'll pitch you my plans to complete the task, and check in with you along the way to make sure everything is to your satisfaction. I like projects to run smoothly and for them to be successful. That's the way I work and live."

How's that?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTJ

Thanks Seymoyr, I think I cleared all the 4 points there. Very good input there. Thank you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

That seems like good stuff Halla! I have had more like american style of introducing myself, thinking much like that, but I'd have to adapt it to Finnish conditions before expressing it.

People in here are so toned down, I sometimes wonder if there's any situation to promote oneself at all.

This subtlety thing is strong with the Finn.

Other than that, what you told could almost fit as my description for my work persona, with a slight adjustment for N/S.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    That seems like good stuff Halla! I have had more like american style of introducing myself, thinking much like that, but I'd have to adapt it to Finnish conditions before expressing it.

People in here are so toned down, I sometimes wonder if there's any situation to promote oneself at all.

This subtlety thing is strong with the Finn.

Other than that, what you told could almost fit as my description for my work persona, with a slight adjustment for N/S.
    Glad you liked my intro pitch!

Toned down?

Finland?

Hmmm...looks like I'll need to steer clear of there, they'll HATE me.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro