First 12

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Ahh, they would love/hate you in here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    1w2

I've had two job interviews over the last three months (that I didn't get ...what a blow to my ego!) and I too have found it a struggle when I get to that part of the interview. I can answer just about any question but when they want me to describe myself I've found that my mind has gone to more "psychological" aspects of myself rather than work-related aspects.

I've basically tried to get some word clouds about me like purpose-driven, collaborative, blah blah blah.

I actually started a similar thread http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...criptions.html a while back about this when I was trying to decode job descriptions to spit back what they wanted to hear from me in a job interview.
    1. Self-motivated/self-starter You won't receive much supervision or guidance; also implies like of structure within the organization
    2. Good communication skills Your coworkers are savage animals and the clients need to be potty trained
    3. Attention to detail: Repetitive, unchallenging work
    4. Fast-paced environment: High turnover, train yourself
    5. Thinks outside the box: You'll give them your ideas and they'll sit on it because no money's in the budget for that and yet the director is having lunch at the most expensive restaurant in the city every week on the company's dime
    6. Other duties as assigned: Demand that statement be taken out! It will be your death!
    [/QUOTE]

I know there's a way around this BS. Halla has going in the right direction, but sometimes I wonder if that sounds so cliched (because it does to my ears) that an employer will pick up on it and disqualify me for being unoriginal. But when I think about my job interviews, the employers themselves seemed to have simply typed in "job interview questions" into google and asked me the exact thing I knew they were going to ask because I did the same thing. They're not very original either so it seems like it doesn't matter in the end.

What I've found to be the contention is giving the psychologically aware answer and hoping the employer will pick on that and appreciate it. I did that in the last two interviews I've gotten my perfect track record of getting every job I've ever interviewed for ruined (more this was very upsetting to me, lol). For example, one of the questions I was asked in my last interview is how comfortable I am with database management. I answered honestly that while I can and currently work in databases, I prefer not to be in an excel spreadsheet and the like for 4 out of 8 hours of my workday. Maybe that cost me the job? I've surmised it has. I don't know, I haven't found an answer for this either.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    That seems like good stuff Halla! I have had more like american style of introducing myself, thinking much like that, but I'd have to adapt it to Finnish conditions before expressing it.

People in here are so toned down, I sometimes wonder if there's any situation to promote oneself at all.

This subtlety thing is strong with the Finn.
    OOT:
    And so's with the swedish.

OT: If you interview for a job you don't really want to have (aka. the money is the reward or the people as wokbuddy's) and then expect to be able to ace their interview with honest answers. . . That one's obvious.

If you do, however, find a job that will stimulate you (even for a shorter time), then you'll find yourself doing a good interview. As you have determined a goal of interest rather than something that may/may not be enough to stay there for a longer time than a few months.

Which is why I don't have a job. . . I should start lying.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I know there's a way around this BS. Halla has going in the right direction, but sometimes I wonder if that sounds so cliched (because it does to my ears) that an employer will pick up on it and disqualify me for being unoriginal.
    Ahhhhh, my sister you miss the point:

25% of the result is the content of the words.
    75% is the DELIVERY.

I guarantee you, that if you quip something to the effect of what I wrote (when asked a similar question) and you (a) look professional, (b) believe what you are saying, and (3) maintain eye contact, speak clearly, and remain positive but not cocky, that you will win over 90% of hiring managers. The other 10% are douchebags you don't want to work for anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    But when I think about my job interviews, the employers themselves seemed to have simply typed in "job interview questions" into google and asked me the exact thing I knew they were going to ask because I did the same thing. They're not very original either so it seems like it doesn't matter in the end.
    Exactly, the questions are simply a generic gatekeeper to test your ability to communicate and to give them an opportunity to observe you under general conditions. They mean very little in the big picture of things. Presentation, composure, and conviction are EVERYTHING.

My resume reads quite modest as it is 100% factual, but I've got the right case mix of stuff in it to get my foot in the door for a myriad of positions that might be of interest to me. Once I am there, that's when the big guns come out...me opening my mouth.

:yim_rolling_on_the_
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

^Protean, I remember one joke we had circulating here in Finland.
    "The company has a youthful spirit" - the manager wears a ponytail
    "We have an encouraging bonus system in here" - do profit or GTFO
    "Our management styles are dynamic" - the workplace is in chaos and people don't know whom to direct
    etc.

Halla: as a professional telephone interviewer, having also done more than a few good business deals in person, I understand the importance of delivery. I think I understand you here. I guess I'm on to experimentation now. I have to experiment - there's just no other clue to the whole thing, other than what can be discrovered by experimenting.

I think I'm just starting to cut through that BS. My work interview for today was to do some of it. I'll figure it out. But yeah, what a shame: it's partly about pretending to do work while the management is pretending to pay you. But still, I'll get it. Even though I'm slower than the average guy in these kinds of things.

I've just naively thought that I'll do good for the company, I'll be a good employee, so I will be hired.

My problem - partly- is that I'm too much of a self-starter, too much of a boss - I've lead some projects with not too much problems - some might think I'm some "climber" kind of guy who extinguishes others. OMG, that's not me at all. I'm not sure if "climber" resonates with american culture. That, or a "shark". But, I'm not that - too much, at least.

I've discussed the thing with a psychologist friend of mine. I've helped him out with his business website, he's helped me with other stuff. I've known I have to develop a better portayal as someone non-boss for the work market.

Edit: but putting that aside, I think there's a real demand for expression of one's work persona - and I think it's mostly what-you-see-is-what-you-get. I don't think the work persona thing is usually very deep. I have one idea in mind. The managers want to see their labor force as something as manageable as cattle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]