User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    1w2

Default Do you consider yourself resilient?

Resilience is:
    • The mental ability to recover quickly from depression, illness or misfortune.
    • Able to weather tribulation without cracking
    From wikipedia
    Resilience is defined as a dynamic process that individuals exhibit positive behavioral adaptation when they encounter significant adversity, trauma, tragedy, threats, or even significant sources of stress. Resilience is a two-dimensional construct concerning the exposure of adversity and the positive adjustment outcomes of that adversity. This two-dimensional construct implies two judgments: one about a "positive adaptation" and the other about the significance of risk (or adversity).

Resilience can be described by viewing:

1. good outcomes regardless of high-risk status,
    2. constant competence under stress, and
    3. recovery from trauma.

Resilient people are expected to adapt successfully even though they experience risk factors that are against good development. Risk factors are related to poor or negative outcomes. For example, poverty, low socioeconomic status, and mothers with schizophrenia are coupled with lower academic achievement and more emotional or behavioral problems.
    As resilient attitude can be:
    • Have realistic and attainable expectations and goals.
    • Show good judgment and problem solving skills.
    • Be persistent and determined.
    • Be responsible and thoughtful rather than impulsive.
    • Be effective communicators with good people skills.
    • Learn from past experience so as to not repeat mistakes.
    • Be empathetic toward other people (caring how others around them are feeling).
    • Have a social conscience, (caring about the welfare of others).
    • Feel good about themselves as a person.
    • Feel like they are in control of their lives.
    • Be optimistic rather than pessimistic.
    It seems to me that the a major component emotional and psychological resilience is time-dependent; the turnaround between the trauma and the rebound is relatively short, i.e. the beginning of a traumatic event or episode and maybe a year from onset even if the event is still happening resilience has kicked in.

Is understanding, knowing, or even being concerned about why the trauma occurred or is occurring and its effects on you and those around you important to being a resilient person? Basically, do you have to understand why ("Why me?!?") in order to be resilient?

Is dwelling on why something traumatic occurred a hindrance to resilience or is there something out there like resilience that factors in time necessary to process adversity and tribulation and still emerge favorably? If you remove the time variable in resilience, i.e. instead of rebounding relatively quickly and consistently (let's say about a year from onset of event) to rebounding around 5 - 10 years after onset of a traumatic event would you consider that resilient or something else?
    Last edited by proteanmix; 12-25-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: edited
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Riva

I guess this is the question you are trying to ask in this thread of yours is it?

She could have been trying to run away from her thoughts and feelings by clubbing that night,

It is like drinking when you feel depressed.

Quite the opposite of resilience I would say.
    Last edited by proteanmix; 12-25-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: edited

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I would consider myself resilient although I do not have a resilient attitude.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Yes, very resilient, which is something I've always known and validated through multiple emotional intelligence tests. I wallow in the feelings right away and then get over stuff. Some things are harder than others obviously. I do believe that "good comes from all things" though it is hard to sometimes to see what is good in the short run. It may help that I have a tendency to hope for the best and plan for the worst, with contingency plans always in the wings.

Riva

Is understanding, knowing, or even being concerned about why the trauma occurred or is occurring and its effects on you and those around you important to being a resilient person? Basically, do you have to understand why ("Why me?!?") in order to be resilient?
    Yes....

But there are two ways to be so.

(1) The point you mentioned above
    (2) By your attitude. (No I won't feel negatively affected by ...........)

Is dwelling on why something traumatic occurred a hindrance to resilience or is there something out there like resilience that factors in time necessary to process adversity and tribulation and still emerge favorably? If you remove the time variable in resilience, i.e. instead of rebounding relatively quickly and consistently (let's say about a year from onset of event) to rebounding around 5 - 10 years after onset of a traumatic event would you consider that resilient or something else?
    5 seconds or 5 years if you have learned something from your pasts and if you'll be resilient in the future I think you deserve some credit and could count yourself as resilient.

Because most people can't do that. They say why me, why now, why again etc

------------------------------------------

You edited your OP.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    Yes....

But there are two ways to be so.

(1) The point you mentioned above
    (2) By your attitude. (No I won't feel negatively affected by ...........)
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Yes, very resilient, which is something I've always known and validated through multiple emotional intelligence tests. I wallow in the feelings right away and then get over stuff. Some things are harder than others obviously. I do believe that "good comes from all things" though it is hard to sometimes to see what is good in the short run. It may help that I have a tendency to hope for the best and plan for the worst, with contingency plans always in the wings.
    ^ is the (2) I mentioned.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I am the most resilient person I know.

I camly surf through disaster, and recover from bad happenings with great quickness.

I don't think I'm capble of being unhappy, or of living life without an optimist viewpoint. I will achieve these things for my own comfort and survival, I'm just programmed that way.

I'm very thankful for it actually...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTP

yes increadibly resilient, but ENTP fickle too

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    yes increadibly resilient, but ENTP fickle too
    "Fickle" is an accessory process to resilience.

It is an integral part of the background gears and machinery that make the whole thing work right...
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    "Fickle" is an accessory process to resilience.

It is an integral part of the background gears and machinery that make the whole thing work right...

Kind-a

I can live through very stressful occations and come out without beign a basket case.

I can be really fickly about jobs, and groups and stuff like that, if they bug me enough I just change.... ENTP- lack of Jness.