• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you're sexay, are you more likely to be an extrovert?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Is it reasonable to believe that attractive people are more likely to be extroverts? Maybe not necessarily "extroverts" according to the cognitive functions, but just more outgoing and bombastic. Of course this has obvious typological implications as well.

It seems like this guy:

ugly_man4.jpg

would be much more inclined to want to curl up into a ball and never interact with society. While this sexy beast:

hot-man.jpg

would want everybody to notice him and thus be more inclined to interact with his outer world.

Of course beauty is somewhat subjective, but if a person is decently attractive, it seems like they would inevitably realize it due to the reactions of those around them. If somebody is attractive, perhaps they experience more positive interactions, fueling their extroversion. If somebody is less attractive, perhaps they experience more negative interactions, fueling their reclusiveness.

Obviously the umbrella assumption enveloping this thread is that society as a whole is very superficial.

Am I being a complete douche, or is there a trend? Thoughts?

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I can't say as I have observed this. While it's true that an individuals physical form may have an influence on someones psychology, I've never noticed a corelation between beauty (or at least believing you are beautiful) and extroversion.

There was a thread sometime ago where the root causes of introversion/extroversion were discused. There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that it based in brain chemistry.

I suspect that an ugly extrovert who hides away from the world wont become an introvert. They will just be a miserable, lonely extrovert.

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Is it reasonable to believe that attractive people are more likely to be extroverts? Maybe not necessarily "extroverts" according to the cognitive functions, but just more outgoing and bombastic. Of course this has obvious typological implications as well.

Of course beauty is somewhat subjective, but if a person is decently attractive, it seems like they would inevitably realize it due to the reactions of those around them. If somebody is attractive, perhaps they experience more positive interactions, fueling their extroversion. If somebody is less attractive, perhaps they experience more negative interactions, fueling their reclusiveness.

Obviously the umbrella assumption enveloping this thread is that society as a whole is very superficial.

Am I being a complete douche, or is there a trend? Thoughts?

I think you could be on to somthing... given this superficial hypothetical society.

Although I think some SUPER attractive people might not be as extroverted because
A) people are jelous
B) they're just soo damn attractive that they don't feel worthy to talk to them?

So I suppose that the mildly attractive have it best?

I had a complete thought earlier, but it left me... I'll post the rest of this idea if I think of it again.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I can't say as I have observed this. While it's true that an individuals physical form may have an influence on someones psychology, I've never noticed a corelation between beauty (or at least believing you are beautiful) and extroversion.

There was a thread sometime ago where the root causes of introversion/extroversion were discused. There is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that it based in brain chemistry.

I suspect that an ugly extrovert who hides away from the world wont become an introvert. They will just be a miserable, lonely extrovert.

Yeah but we can't attribute it all to brain chemistry can we? It seems like our natural physiology still has limited governance over our behavior. Society and upbringing has to come into play somewhere, doesn't it?

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The first guy looks more extroverted than the second one. The first one is radiating a lot of energy... all smiling and wide-eyed. The second one is like "yeah, look at my body, I know it's nice... but I'd still like to stay in the distance a bit."

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Exstroverts are just more likely to invest money in how they look. Since they are more sensitive about opinions of others. If nothing they will do it just because their E job will force them to act like this.

(this is of course if we look at the story from black / while perspective).

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
The first guy looks more extroverted than the second one. The first one is radiating a lot of energy... all smiling and wide-eyed. The second one is like "yeah, look at my body, I know it's nice... but I'd still like to stay in the distance a bit."

True dat. But maybe ugly guy is alone at the mirror in his bathroom practicing for the awkward yearbook photoshoot while pretty boy is modeling his sexay bodeh in front of a large homoerotic circle jerk.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
If it has to do with how sexy you think you are, all girls would be introverts because all girls think they are ugly fucks.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
If it has to do with how sexy you think you are, all girls would be introverts because all girls think they are ugly fucks.

Aw, that's not true. I actually am pretty narcisstic with my physical appearance. And I'm an extrovert.

Perhaps introversion is caused by an innate lack of confidence in some cases, regardless of appearance, and this innate characteristic feeds into the introversion even more. I think some people are so detached from reality that no matter how many positive compliments they receive on their appearance, and no matter how good the reflection looks in the mirror, they will convince themselves of the contrary.

It's like an amplification loop. Introverted-->Detached from reality-->Ignores compliments/mirrors-->Thinks she's ugly due to her own thoughts-->Becomes more introverted-->Loop.

Mole

Permabanned
introversion is caused by an innate lack of confidence

By and large introverts get little reward for their inner life. So by and large their inner life has to stand in its own two feet.

However we do expect the immature introvert to be a bit shaky on their feet at first, like a new-born fawn.

But providing they are not eaten by a lion, they can learn to run like the wind. So much so, it is a though they are are the wind and fly through the air.

Admittedly young extroverts stand a better chance of escaping the lion, but extroverts never learn to fly.

Look up in the sky.
Is it a bird or is it a plane?
No, it's an introvert.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
People who are considered to be attractive may be more outgoing or just more idealist about people because attractive people are usually treated better than people considered to be unattractive. Their experiences with people may generally be more positive. I can see that.

Nescio

MBTI Type
ENTP

I'm the most beautiful thing that ever walked this earth kay thanks.
D<

theadoor

*hmmms*
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
8w9

I wouldn't say that I'm ugly, I've seen some worse cases than I am..On the other hand i don't consider myself as beautiful too. I guess and hope, that I'm somewhere in between. But not average.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
i think introvertion/extroversion has nothing to do with appearance, i've received a lot of female attention from quite a young age but I never know what to do with it because im a very strong introvert, and im not really sure 'attractive' people get treated better.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
i think introvertion/extroversion has nothing to do with appearance, i've received a lot of female attention from quite a young age but I never know what to do with it because im a very strong introvert, and im not really sure 'attractive' people get treated better.

Perhaps you get a lot of female attention because your introversion is mysterious. Women dig enigmatic men. You can't completely disregard my claim simply because you are one exception to the hypothesized rule. That's silly.

I don't think that all attractive people will be extroverts, but I do think that being attractive makes one more likely to be an extrovert. Obviously it is not the only factor that comes into play, and there are exceptions to the claim, but I definitely think that physical appearance sways one's character.

And I definitely agree with EnFpFer when she says that attractive people get treated better. If there are two applicants for a job and they have completely equal credentials outside of their physical appearance, the employer will hands-down pick the more attractive person, even if the employer and applicants are of the same sex.

Sunless

MBTI Type
INxx
You are born with a temperament that includes I/E preferences. It has nothing to do with looks, shyness or complexes.

It just means you find energy in different settings.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think S's are more sexah because they focus on that more. I'm probably full of crap. But the OP is too, so it works.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps you get a lot of female attention because your introversion is mysterious. Women dig enigmatic men.

Do tell :blush: I've always thought that extraversion was considered more attractive as it is frequently associated with assertiveness and masculinity in general... (or at least I think so).

You are born with a temperament that includes I/E preferences. It has nothing to do with looks, shyness or complexes.

It just means you find energy in different settings.

That.

Thanks for mentioning shyness. I think that introversion and shyness are confused quite frequently. Being told that you're attractive might make you feel more self-confident (and possibly less prone to shyness), but it doesn't make your introversion turn into extraversion at some point. An introvert still experiences too much interaction as draining at some point, even if he/she experiences that he/she is well-liked and considered attractive.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Do tell :blush: I've always thought that extraversion was considered more attractive as it is frequently associated with assertiveness and masculinity in general... (or at least I think so).

I think that's true some times too, but some girls like puzzles.

Thanks for mentioning shyness. I think that introversion and shyness are confused quite frequently. Being told that you're attractive might make you feel more self-confident (and possibly less prone to shyness), but it doesn't make your introversion turn into extraversion at some point. An introvert still experiences too much interaction as draining at some point, even if he/she experiences that he/she is well-liked and considered attractive.

Well I did say that I don't necessarily mean the E/I preference but more the tendencies for being bombastic/gregarious vs. reclusive/shy. I think that being attractive could possibly make people more prone to being outgoing; that's all I mean. But of course outgoing/shy and E/I are related, so physical apperance may have an affect on your E/I preference as well. Let's talk about the outgoing/shy thing first though.

Also, as far as the whole "you are born with an E/I preference", I don't think that's genetically engrained in us. This is especially true of E/I, as that letter only minorly switches around some of your functions. Is it so hard to fathom that our environment might play a role in our changing/defining our character? Hmmm...:thinking:

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
I think the S is why people spend so much time on their own appearance. But sexiness depends on so much. My boyfriend is sexy (;D) and he does spend WAY more time in the mirror than me. He wants to put his hair a certain way and he chooses his clothes early to make sure they all look good and match. I just throw on some sweatpants or jeans and maybe do my hair or make up. Also, every girl I know that is an S wears make up and does her hair every day. The girl N's I know don't care about that stuff nearly as much.