User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Hypnosis and Hypnotic Suggestion

Does anyone know anything about this topic? I've got a couple of books but havent been able to really get into them, a lot of the history on the topic seems to place it some where between parlour trick and quack doctory, I've seen it in featured in some martial arts games and films and I remember in Haggard's King Solomon's Mines that there is a witch doctor who uses it to command someone to stop breathing and it kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Does anyone know anything about this topic?
    A good place to start is by clicking on The Trance Institute.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

To read something written by Dennis the Weird? No Thanks.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    A good place to start is by clicking on The Trance Institute.
    "So what is my theoretical paradigm for trance? Basically I claim that the necessary and sufficient condition for a trance to occur is whenever there is a sustained cognitive object loop of sufficient length of time to cause dissociation. A cognitive object is an abstract way to denote a thought, any thought, whether it is a word, and idea, a feeling, a vision. When a set of cognitive objects repeat often enough, you will go into a trance."

This is cool!

Damn Victor. If you weren't so crazy, people might actually take you seriously! (More seriously, anyway.)

edit: ^that's a wee bit harsh. sorry.

edit, edit: ^what I meant is that you often write about trances, but your style of writing is oblique. The above is easier to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by bcvcdc View Post
    To read something written by Dennis the Weird? No Thanks.
    It's true, his name is Dennis Wier. And as a youth he was known as Dennis the Weird.

However he strikes me as well balanced and experienced.
    Last edited by Mole; 01-05-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Damn Victor. If you weren't so crazy, people might actually take you seriously! (More seriously, anyway.)
    It's true I have discovered my own voice and I revel in it.

And to give it up so that you might take me seriously is preposterous.

The fact is I write what I like to read.

MBTI
    INTP

I like your voice too. I was just shocked to find that what you'd been referencing had so many points of contact with my own studies. My initial quip was an attempt at humor, but my use of language was lazy, and I both failed to adequately capture my sense of surprise and succeeded to capture a fairly nasty thought that wasn't present in my own mind.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Damn Victor. If you weren't so crazy, people might actually take you seriously!
    Victor is sane and beautiful. He might be blind to reality... or too full of love to see straight... but he's positively alright. :

Quote Originally Posted by bcvcdc View Post
    Victor is sane and beautiful. He might be blind to reality... or too full of love to see straight... but he's positively alright. :
    And I like you too.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ESI

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    there is a witch doctor who uses it to command someone to stop breathing and it kills them.

I tried hypnosis once and it's a lot like deep meditation. In a psychology class I took, we had a guest speaker who was a licensed hypnotherapist and she did a group session on the entire class. From what I remember, it went something like this:

Close your eyes, relax, and focus only on my voice.

Relax your shoulders, your limbs, your face.

Feel the relaxation poured over you, dripping from the top of your head down to the rest of your body.

Imagine a cord running from the base of your spine anchored to the ground. Allow any worries to run down that cord.

I will count to ten. By the time I'm done counting you will be completely relaxed and in a new place. In this place, all things are possible.

You see a control panel. One knob is for stress, another for fears, etc. You will set each one to zero.

I will count from ten down to one and by that time you will open your eyes feeling rejuvenated, refreshed and energized.

For about three days, I felt noticeably more relaxed like I had just woken up from a nap. I needed less sleep too. They can tailor hypnotherapy sessions for people who want to quit smoking or whatever problem it is the person wants to work on. For relaxation, I know there are CDs you can buy.