• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hypnosis and Hypnotic Suggestion

Lark

Does anyone know anything about this topic? I've got a couple of books but havent been able to really get into them, a lot of the history on the topic seems to place it some where between parlour trick and quack doctory, I've seen it in featured in some martial arts games and films and I remember in Haggard's King Solomon's Mines that there is a witch doctor who uses it to command someone to stop breathing and it kills them.

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
To read something written by Dennis the Weird? No Thanks.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
A good place to start is by clicking on The Trance Institute.

"So what is my theoretical paradigm for trance? Basically I claim that the necessary and sufficient condition for a trance to occur is whenever there is a sustained cognitive object loop of sufficient length of time to cause dissociation. A cognitive object is an abstract way to denote a thought, any thought, whether it is a word, and idea, a feeling, a vision. When a set of cognitive objects repeat often enough, you will go into a trance."

This is cool!

Damn Victor. If you weren't so crazy, people might actually take you seriously! (More seriously, anyway.)

edit: ^that's a wee bit harsh. sorry.

edit, edit: ^what I meant is that you often write about trances, but your style of writing is oblique. The above is easier to understand.

Mole

Permabanned
To read something written by Dennis the Weird? No Thanks.

It's true, his name is Dennis Wier. And as a youth he was known as Dennis the Weird.

However he strikes me as well balanced and experienced.

Last edited:

Mole

Permabanned
Damn Victor. If you weren't so crazy, people might actually take you seriously! (More seriously, anyway.)

It's true I have discovered my own voice and I revel in it.

And to give it up so that you might take me seriously is preposterous.

The fact is I write what I like to read.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I like your voice too. I was just shocked to find that what you'd been referencing had so many points of contact with my own studies. My initial quip was an attempt at humor, but my use of language was lazy, and I both failed to adequately capture my sense of surprise and succeeded to capture a fairly nasty thought that wasn't present in my own mind.

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
Damn Victor. If you weren't so crazy, people might actually take you seriously!
Victor is sane and beautiful. He might be blind to reality... or too full of love to see straight... but he's positively alright. :coffee::hug:::coffee:

FeatheredFrenzy

MBTI Type
ISFJ
there is a witch doctor who uses it to command someone to stop breathing and it kills them.

:D

I tried hypnosis once and it's a lot like deep meditation. In a psychology class I took, we had a guest speaker who was a licensed hypnotherapist and she did a group session on the entire class. From what I remember, it went something like this:

Close your eyes, relax, and focus only on my voice.

Relax your shoulders, your limbs, your face.

Feel the relaxation poured over you, dripping from the top of your head down to the rest of your body.

Imagine a cord running from the base of your spine anchored to the ground. Allow any worries to run down that cord.

I will count to ten. By the time I'm done counting you will be completely relaxed and in a new place. In this place, all things are possible.

You see a control panel. One knob is for stress, another for fears, etc. You will set each one to zero.

I will count from ten down to one and by that time you will open your eyes feeling rejuvenated, refreshed and energized.

For about three days, I felt noticeably more relaxed like I had just woken up from a nap. I needed less sleep too. They can tailor hypnotherapy sessions for people who want to quit smoking or whatever problem it is the person wants to work on. For relaxation, I know there are CDs you can buy.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I prefer the brand of NLP that closely evolves from hypnotic techniques developed by Milton H. Erickson. Richard Bandler came out with some intriguing theories but the guy is also kinda wackjob. Although derivate of his work I prefer to read the restatements of his students and other progeny for the sake of clarity.

The Tony Robbins variety of NLP is not my cupa.