User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Suicide

  1. #11
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    I believe suicide is most likely to occur when someone TRULY BELIEVES they have nothing else to live for; specifically that happiness is an unattainable goal anymore for them.
    Who can say, most people that kill themselves, keep those feelings to themselves, and it's kind of hard to ask why they killed themselves after they killed themselves.

    In my experience, a person can seem genuinly happy and living a good life, and still commit suicide. Without any apparant motive.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  2. #12
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Who can say, most people that kill themselves, keep those feelings to themselves, and it's kind of hard to ask why they killed themselves after they killed themselves.

    In my experience, a person can seem genuinly happy and living a good life, and still commit suicide. Without any apparant motive.
    Primo Levi is a good example, he just took a revolver out of draw one day and shot himself through the head.

  3. #13
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    I believe suicide is most likely to occur when someone TRULY BELIEVES they have nothing else to live for; specifically that happiness is an unattainable goal anymore for them.
    I really think a subtle biological trigger gets pulled.

    I grew up with a lot of animals. Dogs, cats, horses, poultry and so on.

    It was not uncommon for animals that were very old or got sick to just wonder off and die. Also mothers that lose young would act very withdrawn and go off of food. You would also see this when one animal of a group was taken away or died.

    I wonder if the person begins to feel of no use to the social whole and thus triggers this innate biological mechanism. Obviously the mechanism is of no use to the survival of the individual, but would it contribute to the survival of the whole group?

    You become very ill or very injured-perhaps it is better if you go away and die rather than slow the group down? It isnt true anymore, but thats not what the chemicals in our brain tell use perhaps?

    Sorry, I realize this may seem very cold and calculating, however it is how I can rationalize and understand things that upset me emotionally.

  4. #14
    Senior Member _Violence_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Social apoptosis?

    Did you watch The Killing Room by any chance? Interesting movie to say the least.

    On another note, my father committed suicide and I have contemplated (not often) the necessary triggers it would take for ME to kill myself. And my post above is the only way I could rationalize it; if happiness was something I believed to be an utterly unattainable goal.

    But that situation is so improbable, people who DO kill themselves must have a different reason? I mean if I was a father, I think happiness could be attained by raising my own child, if nothing else...

    Pretty sure my father was an INTJ

  5. #15
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    Sorry, I realize this may seem very cold and calculating, however it is how I can rationalize and understand things that upset me emotionally.
    The 'wandering off process' is only seen in animals of old age. Sick or cripple animals that are in some way not able to keep up with the pack, are rejected first, and wander then because they're rejected.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _Violence_ View Post
    Social apoptosis?

    Did you watch The Killing Room by any chance? Interesting movie to say the least.

    On another note, my father committed suicide and I have contemplated (not often) the necessary triggers it would take for ME to kill myself. And my post above is the only way I could rationalize it; if happiness was something I believed to be an utterly unattainable goal.

    But that situation is so improbable, people who DO kill themselves must have a different reason? I mean if I was a father, I think happiness could be attained by raising my own child, if nothing else...

    Pretty sure my father was an INTJ
    In my late teens, there was a man working with our youth group who was very jovial and had two sons, that were much younger than us.

    He appeared to be a great dad and his sons were just awesome kids.

    We had an over night "lock in" and I was just sitting around talking with him, while the rest of the group was off doing something else.

    He told me a story about an exercise in perception they used at work, he was a sales rep. It's been so long I can't remember now, but something about how one could tell if a person might be suicidal.

    The following weekend I was over at their house getting things together for an upcoming community service project. He had a really nice classic mustang in the garage.

    A couple of weekends later heard that he'd committed suicide using the car in the garage. My best friend's dad was his best friend. No one had any indication that registered as being a valid sign of what transpired.

    Excepting the conversation we'd had about that "exercise" in retrospect the answers he'd shared with me indicated, well...just didn't register at the time.

    A few weeks after that, my friends dad said that the man had been struggling with a drug addiction. Which was a big surprise to all of us.

    Felt so bad for those little dudes, it's like someone switched off a light in their own lives. They were younger than seven, so not yet at a stage to have the reasoning ability to well difficult issue for anyone to encounter at any stage in life...

    Regardless of how it happens, it's something that's just inherent to life.

Similar Threads

  1. Suicide and type
    By swordpath in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 07:45 PM
  2. Possibly Suicidal ENFJ Friend
    By Mempy in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM
  3. Suicide and social power
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 03:04 AM
  4. Discrete methods of suicide
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO