• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stupid Thinkers...

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I've heard that E's are the only types that are good with people.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes05.gif

From here.

Post any dueling studies if you have them.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I googled stuff:

The Relationship of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to IQ Level and the Fluid and Crystallized IQ Discrepancy on the Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test (KAIT) -- Kaufman et al. 3 (3): 225 -- Assessment

It was hypothesized that individuals favoring Intuition and Thinking would be more intelligent and would favor fluid over crystallized intelligence relative to those favoring Sensing and Feeling, respectively.

.....Consistent with hypothesized relationships, people classified as Intuitive earned higher KAIT Composite IQs than those classified as Sensing. However, most other hypotheses were not supported...

Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality

In summary, here's what the statistics indicate about the correlation between personality traits and IQ:

* Other personality traits being the same, an iNtuitive person (one who grasps patterns and seeks possibilities) is 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Sensing person (one who focuses on sensory details and the here-and-now).

* Again, other traits being the same, an Introverted person is 8 times more likely to have a high IQ than one who is Extraverted; a Thinking (logic-oriented) person is 2.5 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Feeling (people-oriented) person; and a Judging person (one who seeks closure) is about twice as likely to have a high IQ than a Perceiving person (one who likes to keep his options open).

* Moreover, if you encounter an INTJ (Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Judging), there is a 37% probability that his IQ places him in the top 2 percent of the population. The probability is 20% for an INTP, 15% for an INFJ, and 8% for an INFP. These four types account for 66% of the high-IQ population but only 6% of the total population.

This article indicates Feelers had an edge:
Analysis of MBTI type patterns in college scholars - page 3 | College Student Journal

The trend here and most other studies I've personally come across is that intuitives score higher on IQ tests and tests that gauge intelligence/"giftedness" (which is really a certain kind of smarts, and these studies are always questionable). Some studies indicate that introversion, judging and thinking give a slight edge, but not nearly as much as intuitiveness.

Thinking is just a cognitive process - it does not make someone smart, not even book smart. Think about the stereotypical STP meatheads - sure, it's a stereotype, but it shows how Thinkers can be and come across as stupid.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
Intelligence is correlated to N and to a lesser extent, P.

From here.

I'm not entirely certain (and I don't generally trust my mathematical ability), but isn't P the least significant correlation?

N is strongest, followed by I, then T, then P.

Edit: Actually, now I'm not sure. The difference between the ratios (I'm not sure if that's what it's called; the no. in the gifted population divided by the no. in the normal population) of T to F is 0.23, whereas for P to J it's 0.39, but T itself has a higher ratio (1.13) than does P (1.11)...?

It's either NITP or NIPT.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
Considering that 'type' is something so intangible that there is no absolutely reliable personality test out there yet and therefore no reliable basic statistics, I really don't see how anyone can make any subsequent statistics, present them like facts and draw any conclusions from them.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Considering that 'type' is something so intangible that there is no absolutely reliable personality test out there yet and therefore no reliable basic statistics, I really don't see how anyone can make any subsequent statistics, present them like facts and draw any conclusions from them.

:yes:

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Is that chart saying that ENFPs are the most gifted? Because that's what it looks like. :D

Nah, it means that there are 2 times more enfps in the gifted category than in the 'norm group' per 100 people

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
Is that chart saying that ENFPs are the most gifted? Because that's what it looks like. :D

Well not necessarily. Because it looks like INTP is over-represented 3+ times. Whereas others might be overrepresented only about 2 times...

So relative wise, it looks like INTP ftw. :jew:

Sheer number wise, ENFP's do outnumber though. We'd have to band up with like INFP and ENTJ/ENTP's to take over the INTP's, and like wear them out senseless from sex or something so they don't cause any trouble. muahahaha!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are plenty of stupid thinkers, especially if they're 40% of the population, there's bound to be an endless amount. From statistics I've seen, Ts are only a little more likely than Fs to have high IQ or SAT scores. E/I and S/N has more to do with IQ test performance, favoring IN.

There's even stupid NTs. ENTPs are super dumb. ;)

I don't think IQ measures intelligence perfectly, but it gives a decent rough estimate. I don't know about the reliability of the MBTI studies, but they seem to mirror what I see IRL.

Intelligence is multi-faceted! There's no one number or scale that can describe it accurately because there are numerous different types of intelligence.

IQ tests measure N and T intelligence. SFPs score a lot lower on average because the test doesn't favor their type of intelligence. If you did a field test involving physical dexterity, awareness of the environment and other Se skills, you'd find that NTs would score significantly lower.

The IQ test and SAT, unfortunately, contribute to the pretentious NT attitude that N and T intelligences are the only "real intelligence", which is a large part of why NTs think they're so much smarter than everyone else.

Everyone's idea of intelligence is different. As I said recently in a different thread, most people unconsciously define "intelligent" as "good at my dominant function" and anyone who isn't good at what we're good at gets labeled "stupid", thanks to our good friend perceptual bias.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intelligence is multi-faceted! There's no one number or scale that can describe it accurately because there are numerous different types of intelligence.

IQ tests measure N and T intelligence. SFPs score a lot lower on average because the test doesn't favor their type of intelligence. If you did a field test involving physical dexterity, awareness of the environment and other Se skills, you'd find that NTs would score significantly lower.

The IQ test and SAT, unfortunately, contribute to the pretentious NT attitude that N and T intelligences are the only "real intelligence", which is a large part of why NTs think they're so much smarter than everyone else.

Everyone's idea of intelligence is different. As I said recently in a different thread, most people unconsciously define "intelligent" as "good at my dominant function" and anyone who isn't good at what we're good at gets labeled "stupid", thanks to our good friend perceptual bias.

This.

Everyone is smart in their own regard. We all have our parts to play. Stupidity in my opinion is when people do not play their parts in their respective area.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you a feeler? Because that sounds like a whine!:violin:

Just because your type is gifted, doesn't mean you are!

In terms of sheer numbers, yes.

I'm not entirely certain (and I don't generally trust my mathematical ability), but isn't P the least significant correlation?

N is strongest, followed by I, then T, then P.

Edit: Actually, now I'm not sure. The difference between the ratios (I'm not sure if that's what it's called; the no. in the gifted population divided by the no. in the normal population) of T to F is 0.23, whereas for P to J it's 0.39, but T itself has a higher ratio (1.13) than does P (1.11)...?

It's either NITP or NIPT.

Sak_SynthesisOfResearchOnPsychologicalTypes03.gif

Gifted adolescents were significantly more introverted than the normative group (n = 5,723; z = 3.85; p<.01).

Also, the analysis indicated that gifted adolescents were significantly more intuitive than the general high school population (z = 12.71; p < .01).

Further, this integration of research results revealed significant differences between the gifted samples and the normative in the thinking dimension (z =1.72; p < .05; one-tailed).

Moreover, the gifted adolescents were significantly higher than the general high school population in the perceiving dimension (z = 4.96; p < .01).

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
PS. the twin question: is it possible to be a Feeler with the emotional depth of a teaspoon?

Yes. I've been there for a long time. Finally starting to get my emotional wings about me. I'd say it's never too late to develop one's intelligence or emotional depth.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
Are there stupid thinkers? Uhhhhh...yeah!!!:yes:

So I dated this INPT who was a a big 'ol cuddly teddy bear, but he wasn't splitting atoms in his spare time...know what I'm sayin'? Example:

Me: My grandfather was a butcher, but the family was poor so they had to sell all of the good meat to buy necessities and keep the lips & @ssholes for themselves.

Him: You can eat @ssholes?

Me: Nevermind :doh:

Oh my...that still cracks me up!!!!!:D

On the other hand, I was married to an INTJ who was ridiculously smart.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
We're all idiots, really. Our vast compendium of knowledge is not a talent, it's more like a man's dualie truck with a nine inch lift. You know, compensating.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We're all idiots, really. Our vast compendium of knowledge is not a talent, it's more like a man's dualie truck with a nine inch lift. You know, compensating.

Sometimes I like to think that I'm dumb in an extremely sophisticated way :D

@Jo: Hilarious.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I guess I just don't know what I'm doing. I get different results from their analysis, and different results from this table than from the other one.

I'll stop trying to work it out now.