User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

But I don't see how the subconscious smell of a person can help make them likable anymore than the pleasant smell of coffee can cause it to taste any better.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by TheBeatGoesOn View Post
    Compassion towards other people or just compassion about something?
    Compassion in the sense of an expansion of the cult of self to include others, be they human / animal etc. Cruelty turns me off, whether physical, mental, emotional. It means to me a with-holding of judgement, and accepting others as they are, but at the same time, knowing your own boundaries - you cannot help someone else if you're sinking under yourself.

I think kindness and compassion is under-rated nowadays - it is often mistaken as weakness in our societies, or seen as a means to an end. But I think it takes a truly strong person to be compassionate. So yea. It is an innate strength that I'm looking for there, with a conscience and an intelligence to use the strength, not to strike, but to help.

Is that BS to you?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Compassion in the sense of an expansion of the cult of self to include others, be they human / animal etc. Cruelty turns me off, whether physical, mental, emotional. It means to me a with-holding of judgement, and accepting others as they are, but at the same time, knowing your own boundaries - you cannot help someone else if you're sinking under yourself.

I think kindness and compassion is under-rated nowadays - it is often mistaken as weakness in our societies, or seen as a means to an end. But I think it takes a truly strong person to be compassionate. So yea. It is an innate strength that I'm looking for there, with a conscience and an intelligence to use the strength, not to strike, but to help.

Is that BS to you?
    Nope, not BS.

I whole heartedly agree with you. I won't lie and say I'm the most compassionate person on the planet, but I think that without the people on this earth that exercise compassion, is it even worth living? I find myself being very appreciative of random people I cross paths with that show a happy glow and that seem to genuinely care about the well being of others. Where would we be without that?

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

The moment I not only know but also readily appreciate where someone is coming from when that someone talks, acts, or thinks, is the moment I feel warm familiarity. The existence of, or potential for such compatibility usually makes itself apparent in some way during the initial contact. Gut feelings.

And if this appreciation is mutual? That would mark the conception of a friendship.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INTJ

First of all, for me to like a person, that person must be creative and/or intelligent. I like it when there is something "off" about a person, when they can surprise me. Also it is a giveaway if you have something unusual in common with that person, like both being INTJs.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Breasts?
    Now why did I think you were batting for the other team? Anyway thanks for setting me straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    For me?

Cheerfulness
    Openness to adventure, learning and experience
    Optimistic and trusting
    Aspiration to better themselves
    Acceptance of others as they are (as opposed to people who try to change you, or think of you as more of a project than a person)
    Helpfulness and accepting of others' help
    Accessible/available - not people who you can only see if you grab a window in their packed schedule a month in advance
    Can take their drink - not people who transform into a monster with a few beers
    Can behave relatively well in public and not embarrass you
    Reasonable
    Direct and frank about what they think - no mind games/guessing games please!
    Respect others' boundaries and can give people space when they need it, as opposed to those who take it personally when you don't feel like seeing them
    Is willing to show anger/ has a temper but they restrain it unless provoked - if I'm pissing someone off I want to know about it so I can do something about it, I don't want them silently seething and martyring themselves only to bring it up as a guilt trip later!!

Hm, I think that's about it.
    That's a long list. I'm feeling dizzy, I think I'll go lie down.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INFP

Default What makes someone likeable?

Not romantically. Just in general.

MBTI
    INTP

If people like them.

If they're not hated.

Not perverted or stalkers...
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Starting quality threads definitely increases a persons likability.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Someone who is kind and nonjudgmental, approachable and light-hearted, someone who enjoys making people feel good, who is smart but lacking in pretension, oh, and someone with a good a sense of humor.

These qualities tend to be exhibited by generally likable people, I've observed.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles