User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I knew I'd seen something like this proteanmix..

In my defense, I searched by title for "likeable" and got one thread that wasn't yours.

Only this one came up

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...light=likeable

MBTI
    ISFJ

A likable person is one that doesn't feel threatening to you and fascinates you in some form (is different from you).

MBTI
    INTJ

One can generally say this about men: that they are ungrateful and fickle. Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

So what's the consensus? Was that guy likable or not?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^Ironically, anyone who could write the truth so baldly can't really be described as Machiavellian.

I admire honesty. Liking implies a personal relationship so that's not relevant here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

One can generally say this about men: that they are ungrateful and fickle. Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

I'd like to know his definition of "safe", I'll tell you that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You're likable if you show you like me.

Well, it predisposes me to like you, anyway. If you meet me halfway and we assume each other likable till proven not so much.

Good faith, that's it.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'd like to know his definition of "safe", I'll tell you that.
    In the context of "The Prince", safety is framed in relation to the Prince's ability to retain power. In that context only, safety means not losing power. So Machiavelli is speaking directly to the idea of popular opinion. Is it better to be loved by the people or to be feared by the people? In Machiavelli's view, fear, as an emotional state of influence, is more enduring and less susceptible to the essential fickleness of man.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP

Very interesting.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

Is that his picture? If it is, there might be a little silly streak hidden behind those serious eyes. I would like him well enough. I'd be curious about what emotional experiences resulted in his assumptions about humanity as a whole. I think he wishes for appreciation and loyalty from friends. I wouldn't care to debate his view of humanity, but might endeavor to offer a friendship that places some of his negative assumptions into question. He suggests that people have been fickle an ungrateful towards himself. There might be a compelling reason behind his thoughts, so I could learn a great deal from knowing him.

People are complicated, maybe especially the negative ones, so they are always interesting and can teach me something by knowing them. More than like or dislike, I think in terms of potency. Does this person rejuvenate me or make me tired. That might make the most sense to people who are observers on one level like myself.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Is that his picture? If it is, there might be a little silly streak hidden behind those serious eyes. I would like him well enough. I'd be curious about what emotional experiences resulted in his assumptions about humanity as a whole. I think he wishes for appreciation and loyalty from friends. I wouldn't care to debate his view of humanity, but might endeavor to offer a friendship that places some of his negative assumptions into question. He suggests that people have been fickle an ungrateful towards himself. There might be a compelling reason behind his thoughts, so I could learn a great deal from knowing him.
    Niccolo Machiavelli is often humorous in his work. I remember an especially lyrical passage where he describes how much he loves to return home in the evening to don his robes (no heaters in those days) and commune with the voices of the past as he read for hours in his library. He had an amazingly noble soul and a fantastic mind with a keen perception of social interaction. I would consider him the essential ENTP philosopher as ENTP's are concerned chiefly with the big picture as it relates to the world of human affairs.

His letters are recommended if you would want to learn more about this very complex and interesting man: The Letters of Machiavelli
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."