• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

WTF

T

ThatGirl

I have this thing about standards for what is offensive. What is wrong ? To me sensitivity, empathy, implies that people are themselves familiar with the fact that judgments exist.

Ugh don't know how to say this right.

Familiarity equals the past. The past being what we already know or have experienced. When people are sensitive to perceived negativity, it is because on some level they have experienced it's truth. Either by thinking the same thing or experiencing someone who has been through the same thing.

This is where our standards come from. Is there anyone who looks at, what if the circumstance didn't exist. It would not be bound to the same standards. It would be truthful. Truth and recognition is N O T offensive.

eh just a thought.

R

Riva

Emotions rise due to past experiences?

Would have been a better thread title.

Just a thought.

T

ThatGirl

Emotions are not limited to the past, at least shouldn't be.

T

ThatGirl

For the last time. I am not a fucking Buddhist!

Lol, looking it up now.

R

Riva

For the last time. I am not a fucking Buddhist!

Lol, looking it up now.

:D
it's fun to be a Buddhist that girl. You get to have a lot of nasty sex without thinking about going to hell. as long as no one gets hurt (which is highly unlikely in your case I would guess)

Lol, No. :)

Put on some makeup, it will help.

Do you only care to argue with SimWor?

Explain things to

Dooraven

MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w6
Plus, Yes you are right. In Buddhism it is called Samskara.

Wikipedia.................

I always get mixed up with the Buddhist and Hindu Samskaras, I thought what the hell did a right of passage have anything to do with this, then I checked Wikipedia....

R

Riva

Samskara in Buddhism short and sweet -

Everything we like to everything we dislike are short term or long term Subconscious mental conditionings due to our desires and dislikes picked up by the 5 senses (mind included).

Therefore these form the 5 aggregates.

And the 5 aggregates are called the aggregates of clinging.

Why?

Because we cling to them without even knowing that we do.

It is also explained in Buddhism that these 5 aggregates form our personalities. If we learn to be mindful of ourselves (deep level of introspection which is called Vipassana) we begin to realize that our likes or dislikes are actually not permanent. That they are ever so changing.

One day you like this, the next day you are bored with it and the next day you hate it, etc

We also begin to realize that our negative and positive emotions are only temporary. We begin to slowly lose our die hard bonds with these emotions (which is inevitable if you keep on seeing things as temporary).

We slowly begin to see things the way they are……

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'LL rEFER tHE hONORABLE pERSON tO Peguy's pREVIOUS sTATEMENT : ass fart shit nipplie cock :p !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bananallama:

T

ThatGirl

Samskara in Buddhism short and sweet -

Everything we like to everything we dislike are short term or long term Subconscious mental conditionings due to our desires and dislikes picked up by the 5 senses (mind included).

Therefore these form the 5 aggregates.

And the 5 aggregates are called the aggregates of clinging.

Why?

Because we cling to them without even knowing that we do.

It is also explained in Buddhism that these 5 aggregates form our personalities. If we learn to be mindful of ourselves (deep level of introspection which is called Vipassana) we begin to realize that our likes or dislikes are actually not permanent. That they are ever so changing.

One day you like this, the next day you are bored with it and the next day you hate it, etc

We also begin to realize that our negative and positive emotions are only temporary. We begin to slowly lose our die hard bonds with these emotions (which is inevitable if you keep on seeing things as temporary).

We slowly begin to see things the way they are……

On the contrary, everything is infinite. We learn to comply with time. Time has us pawned.

R

Riva

On the contrary, everything is infinite. We learn to comply with time. Time has us pawned.

Boom!

That is your interpretation of reality.:)
And I am sure most people would agree with you than with Buddha.

That was not sarcasm. That is true, most people would rather agree with that comment than with that of Buddha's.

T

ThatGirl

Boom!

That is your interpretation of reality.:)
And I am sure most people would agree with you than with Buddha.

That was not sarcasm. That is true, most people would rather agree with that comment than with that of Buddha's.

Maybe so but it is true none the less. Everything has its time span. Not just humans, but thoughts, actions, ideas, the world, life. Some time spans out live others. We are not the standard.

To get back to the op, responding too quickly to a perceived threat is, "I have known this is bad." Therefore it should be treated as such.

Will get back.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ugh don't know how to say this right. [...]
eh just a thought.

Could you provide at least one clear-cut assumption you'd like to have discussed or a question you'd like to have answered? So far it remains rather vague what you're trying to get at, but I'll give it a try:

I have this thing about standards for what is offensive. What is wrong ? To me sensitivity, empathy, implies that people are themselves familiar with the fact that judgments exist.

Is it that you're pissed off by the fact that some people complain about other people passing judgments onto them?

Last edited:
T

ThatGirl

No, only that people believe their judgments are what others are representing.