• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Take THAT, mofos!

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Why do we swear?

In college, I was a linguistics major. One of my professors conducted extensive research into the value of swearing. In class once, he told us to think about stubbing our toe. When you stub your toe, you really don't have a sense of relief when you yell, "Oh, shucky darn!" Yet people do feel markedly better in this situation if they let out an expletive-laced rant. He wondered why those particular words appeared to cause relief.

It's cool to see his work is being validated.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Why do we swear?

In college, I was a linguistics major. One of my professors conducted extensive research into the value of swearing. In class once, he told us to think about stubbing our toe. When you stub your toe, you really don't have a sense of relief when you yell, "Oh, shucky darn!" Yet people do feel markedly better in this situation if they let out an expletive-laced rant. He wondered why those particular words appeared to cause relief.

Ive always been interested in this kind of study. Most people just think swearing is 'bad' or 'fucking awesome' without knowing why, or caring to know why. Understanding how swearing works can help use them holistically.

And people who swear a lot (As in almost all the time) are like my friend's dog. They are trying to look tough, but are actually pretty soft. I'm more worried about a man with soul-slaying eyes that doesn't say anything than people who swear a lot.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
swearing reduces pain. i dont remember where i readed about it, but its been scientificly proven. i bet its because you express anger and i bet that expressing it releases more adrenaline or releases it faster

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Why do we swear?

This^ is exactly why I swear. Sometimes. Like a sailor when I get goin'. :cheese: Yes, it does make me feel better. This makes no sense to me at all. Very sad, I was brought up better.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
This explains everything:

[YOUTUBE="bPWVq6MwW4E"]Swearing[/YOUTUBE]

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Whenever I swear, it feels cathartic. :wubbie:

I limit swearing around others.

It's such a release, especially at work when I curse internally in my mind and imagine some kind of funny imagery to go along with it..

I think emotional purging can be healthy for the soul. ;) :D

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Swearing is taboo, so there is probably an adrenaline rush associated with it. Adrenaline feels good. Thus, swearing.