• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Risk takers and drug users have faster maturing brains

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting study, a lot of people assume the exact opposite. Looking back on who were the risk takers and drug users I've known, this makes sense to me. Faster developed brain = more interest in 'adult' activities before your peers. However at a later age, in the late 20s and 30s, this kind of behavior might be more associated with less developed brains.

Risk-Taking Teens Have More Mature Brains

We often hear that teens are irresponsible because their brains are immature. But, contradicting that idea, teen turmoil is completely absent in more than 100 cultures around the world. Nevertheless, neuroscience studies do indeed suggest that the gray matter in the frontal cortex of teens, as compared with adults, is not fully developed.

Now a study by neuroscientist Gregory S. Berns and his colleagues at Emory University adds a new wrinkle to the gray matter findings, reporting that teens who are risk takers and drug users actually appear to have a more developed brain than their conservative peers.

The Berns team assessed the risk-taking tendencies of 91 teens between the ages of 12 and 18 with a written test and a drug test. Then, using a relatively new MRI technology called diffusion tensor imaging, the researchers looked at the amount of white matter in the frontal cortex of the teens’ brains. White matter contains the protein myelin, which coats neurons’ spindly axons as they reach toward other areas of the brain. Myelin is important for efficient signaling between neurons, and it is known to grow considerably between childhood and adulthood.

The investigators found that engaging in dangerous behaviors was associated with increased white matter, a result directly opposite to the gray matter findings. One possible interpretation: people whose brains mature early might be more prone to engage in adult activities. But Berns suggests that the entire teen brain idea might be overhyped. “Nobody denies that the brain develops or that teens take risks,” he says, “but how the two observations got intertwined is beyond me.”

Developmental psychologist Laurence Steinberg of Temple University questions the significance of the new study. Other researchers have found a connection between increased white matter and reduced impulsivity, Steinberg explains, which could mean a reduced likelihood of risk taking—the opposite of the Berns finding. Renowned neuroscientist Michael S. Gazzaniga of the University of California, Santa Barbara, is more impressed. “So much for the much touted model of the teenage brain,” Gazzaniga says. “Back to the drawing boards again.”

Risk-Taking Teens Have More Mature Brains: Scientific American

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Well risk-taking behavior also depends on the family life and the culture a person lives in.

In General, teens want to be in control of themselves, and not rely on someone else, and also to leave a mark on the world. This leads to rebelliousness.

In Finland, there are few daredevils like in the US. Mostly because there isn't such a huge individualist culture like in the US.

In all, that's interesting. Now it isn't 'just' because a teenager's brain isn't as developed that makes them bad decision makers.

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
I do remember thinking even as a teenager that the message that smoking was stupid was quite undermined by the fact that lot's of clever people smoked.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Didn't reach a solid conclusion from that article. Keep in mind - all those hormones bouncing around in the teenager's body too.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Does a more "mature" brain imply a more clever, intelligent person? Or does it just imply more adult-like thought processes and thus more interest in "mature" activites?

I could believe that clever, intelligent people would be interested in new experiences (taking risks and doing drugs). Both of these things may offer a new mental perspective that a more "intelligent" person values above traditional teenage hobbies. This theory is really only pertinent though if more mature = more intelligent.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Does a more "mature" brain imply a more clever, intelligent person? Or does it just imply more adult-like thought processes and thus more interest in "mature" activites?

More the latter, as far as I know. I recall reading that mental sharpness, speed at picking up new ideas, is thought to peak before the brain is fully mature. Also, risk-taking behaviour has not been found to be related to intelligence, in either direction.

Current thinking is that the brain continues to develop until the mid-twenties, and that this partially explains personality differences between teens and adults, such as risk-taking, emotional outbursts, poor judgment, etc.

Just an idea: perhaps the cause-effect relationship is the reverse of what was suggested in the article? Meaning, maybe engaging in plenty of intense experiences somehow causes an increase in the white matter in the brain.

It looks like the amount of white matter was the only thing observed, so we also don't know if this really signals early maturation, with everything that goes with it, or not.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Interesting study, a lot of people assume the exact opposite. Looking back on who were the risk takers and drug users I've known, this makes sense to me. Faster developed brain = more interest in 'adult' activities before your peers. However at a later age, in the late 20s and 30s, this kind of behavior might be more associated with less developed brains.

Risk-Taking Teens Have More Mature Brains: Scientific American

might be a chicken and egg factor...

Kids who want to do drugs, would have brains that mature faster...

Kids who are happy to grow up without stimulus are possbly more likely to mature in time....

Also is there any indication of the benefits of a faster maturing brain....

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
What do you mean by "maturing"?

Doing drugs is a stupid choice and it always will be.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

More the latter, as far as I know. I recall reading that mental sharpness, speed at picking up new ideas, is thought to peak before the brain is fully mature. Also, risk-taking behaviour has not been found to be related to intelligence, in either direction.

Also is there any indication of the benefits of a faster maturing brain....

As far as brain maturation/development and intelligence goes, it looks like brains of intelligent kids mature faster than kids of average intelligence, but the brains of highly intelligent kids have brains that lag behind in maturity. Interesting.

This graph illustrates it well. (Cortical thickness is associated with brain maturity in this)

youthbrain1.jpg

Brain found to mature faster in intelligent kids - WorldScience
Brains of very smart kids develop later - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
As far as brain maturation/development and intelligence goes, it looks like brains of intelligent kids mature faster than kids of average intelligence, but the brains of highly intelligent kids have brains that lag behind in maturity. Interesting.

Hmmm. It seems the first observation (slightly above average intelligence found to mature faster) may be negligible. In the graph you posted, kids of 'average' and 'high' intelligence have fairly simliar cortical thicknesses and almost identical patterns, and the major difference is between both these groups and the 'superior' group, which shows a markedly different pattern.

And, the second link you provided, states:

One analysis found the cortex in kids with the highest IQs — 121 to 149 — didn’t reach maximum thickness until age 11. Children who were just slightly less bright reached that point at age 9, and those with average intelligence at around 6. In all cases, the cortex later thinned as the children matured.

So the study mentioned here found a general pattern of an inverse relationship between intelligence and age of maximum cortical thickness (average reaches maximum sooner than slightly above average, and slightly above average sooner than superior), which contradicts the first link. So maybe there isn't really any difference between average and slightly high.

Considering these studies, maybe the "early maturation" suggested by the study in the OP is actually a negative thing, and delayed development is correlated with higher ability. Or maybe the increased white matter found in risk-takers doesn't correlate with increased overall thickness, and so tells us nothing about intelligence.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I didn't start (really) growing until I started taking big risks.

Emotional risks, physical risks, social risks.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
I feel like I've matured a lot faster than some of my friends have since high school. In the past 3 years. They are still stuck in the same ruts like.. insecurities and being scared of the world and I don't know.. I just feel like I have matured a lot more than some of them, and I have also done some acid and whatnot so maybe it's true.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This sounds incredibly vague and inconclusive. 91 teens were involved in the study? What kind of sample is that?