User Tag List

First 12

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Does a more "mature" brain imply a more clever, intelligent person? Or does it just imply more adult-like thought processes and thus more interest in "mature" activites?
    Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    More the latter, as far as I know. I recall reading that mental sharpness, speed at picking up new ideas, is thought to peak before the brain is fully mature. Also, risk-taking behaviour has not been found to be related to intelligence, in either direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Also is there any indication of the benefits of a faster maturing brain....
    As far as brain maturation/development and intelligence goes, it looks like brains of intelligent kids mature faster than kids of average intelligence, but the brains of highly intelligent kids have brains that lag behind in maturity. Interesting.

This graph illustrates it well. (Cortical thickness is associated with brain maturity in this)

Brain found to mature faster in intelligent kids - WorldScience
    Brains of very smart kids develop later - Kids and parenting- msnbc.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    As far as brain maturation/development and intelligence goes, it looks like brains of intelligent kids mature faster than kids of average intelligence, but the brains of highly intelligent kids have brains that lag behind in maturity. Interesting.
    Hmmm. It seems the first observation (slightly above average intelligence found to mature faster) may be negligible. In the graph you posted, kids of 'average' and 'high' intelligence have fairly simliar cortical thicknesses and almost identical patterns, and the major difference is between both these groups and the 'superior' group, which shows a markedly different pattern.

And, the second link you provided, states:

One analysis found the cortex in kids with the highest IQs ó 121 to 149 ó didnít reach maximum thickness until age 11. Children who were just slightly less bright reached that point at age 9, and those with average intelligence at around 6. In all cases, the cortex later thinned as the children matured.
    So the study mentioned here found a general pattern of an inverse relationship between intelligence and age of maximum cortical thickness (average reaches maximum sooner than slightly above average, and slightly above average sooner than superior), which contradicts the first link. So maybe there isn't really any difference between average and slightly high.

Considering these studies, maybe the "early maturation" suggested by the study in the OP is actually a negative thing, and delayed development is correlated with higher ability. Or maybe the increased white matter found in risk-takers doesn't correlate with increased overall thickness, and so tells us nothing about intelligence.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I didn't start (really) growing until I started taking big risks.

Emotional risks, physical risks, social risks.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

I feel like I've matured a lot faster than some of my friends have since high school. In the past 3 years. They are still stuck in the same ruts like.. insecurities and being scared of the world and I don't know.. I just feel like I have matured a lot more than some of them, and I have also done some acid and whatnot so maybe it's true.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

This sounds incredibly vague and inconclusive. 91 teens were involved in the study? What kind of sample is that?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'd say, more than teens espouse these opinions...