Thread: Psychopathy

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Psychopathy

I am wondering if there is a correlation between type. You see, a lot of what makes a 'psychopath' applies to one INTJ I know. However, it seems like a lot of the generalities about them apply to many NTs/INTJs.

Example, the bolded applies to him.

Factor 1
    Aggressive narcissism

1. Glibness/superficial charm
    2. Grandiose sense of self-worth
    3. Pathological lying? I think he is.
    4. Cunning/manipulative
    5. Lack of remorse or guilt
    6. Emotionally shallow
    7. Callous/lack of empathy
    8. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

However...many of these apply to me. Not the pathological lying. I suppose he may be a pathological liar. I need to look more into that. He believes all apply to him, but he is not emotionally shallow, nor is very superficially charming, or having a grandiose sense of self worth.

A lot of NTs are thought to be manipulative it seems, lacking in remorse/guilt, etc. That doesn't make them psychopaths.

So what makes a psychopath?

Can you tell if someone will become psychopathic?

What types would be most prone, or at least viewed that way?
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Dont cha wish your girlfriend was raw like me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I am wondering if there is a correlation between type. You see, a lot of what makes a 'psychopath' applies to one INTJ I know. However, it seems like a lot of the generalities about them apply to many NTs/INTJs.

Example, the bolded applies to him.

Factor 1
    Aggressive narcissism

1. Glibness/superficial charm
    2. Grandiose sense of self-worth
    3. Pathological lying? I think he is.
    4. Cunning/manipulative
    5. Lack of remorse or guilt
    6. Emotionally shallow
    7. Callous/lack of empathy
    8. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

However...many of these apply to me. Not the pathological lying. I suppose he may be a pathological liar. I need to look more into that. He believes all apply to him, but he is not emotionally shallow, nor is very superficially charming, or having a grandiose sense of self worth.

A lot of NTs are thought to be manipulative it seems, lacking in remorse/guilt, etc. That doesn't make them psychopaths.

So what makes a psychopath?

Can you tell if someone will become psychopathic?

What types would be most prone, or at least viewed that way?
    For what its worth I'm pretty certain that their is very limited correlation between MBTI and psyciatric conditions.

Most psyciatric conditions or the ones people try and diagnose around here are around 5% of the population.

NT = c.10% so one would expect in 1000 people, 100 with be NTs and of those one would expect 5 people to have that specific condition... so if you happen to find 7 people - this may be considered a bit enough stat difference to make it significant (at extremes it's easy to show significant changes - because the numbers are tiny)... this doens't really give much confidence that there really is a skew beyond NT's not being that common in the population.

Sorry the above might seem waffly...

I beleive the relationship between MBTI and Psiciatric conditions is a distorition of statistics.

I think any time can have a disturbed mind.

NT's aren't lacking feeling they just don't make decisions on the basis of feeling.

The chances of someone picking up on someone else beying a psycopath I think would be quite slim.... I'm not a psyciatrist, but almost all psyciatric conditions are normal behavious taken to extremes... understand the distubred mind is really quite disturbed...

I am wondering if there is a correlation between type. You see, a lot of what makes a 'psychopath' applies to one INTJ I know.
    ENTP=psycho

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Jaguar=crazy

Tinkerbell: thanks. I believe what you just said. I just needed some back up because I was trying to DISPROVE this really.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

I just needed some back up because I was trying to DISPROVE this really.
    That's not what your original post looks like.
    Having said that, psychopathology is not something you are going to be able to link to MBTI preferences.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I don't think you can directly link specific types to psychopathy, however you can attribute certain cognitive functions to psychopathy.

I think that a person is a psychopath once he/she has no regard for how their actions affect other people. Psychopaths will do whatever they see fit to reach some end goal, and this includes trampling on others in their path.

I'd attribute this to really strong extroverted functions without a strong internal function to balance the extroverted one out:

Unhealthily strong Se will cause one to do whatever he/she wants to obtain sources of physical pleasure and/or thrill in a gluttonous way (theft, murders for the pure thrill of it, rape for the ecstasy of power, etc.).

Unhealthily strong Ne will cause one to experiment with the world/people in a mode completely devoid of compassion (think of the joker in the Dark Knight; he was ENTP, and his Ne just wanted to tinker with people for sake of satiating his curiosity).

Unhealthily strong Te will cause one to do whatever is necessary to complete their plan, as they have no internal function to give them a set of ethics to adhere to; this is what makes a fictional TJ villain evil (think about Darth Vader and Lex Luthor).

Unhealthily strong Fe will cause one to eliminate those that disrupt what they see as a grand-scale social harmony (Hitler for instance).

Normally these extroverted functions are coupled with an introverted function that offers a personal moral code (Ti/Fi) or a store of information to fall back on to just understand what is right (Si/Ni). Since it's a function thing, any type can theoretically be a "psychopath."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

^Very interesting commentary!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTP

hi

OK just on maths...

If you find 5 people in 1000 have a condition
    if you compare that to second sample of 1000 and it has 13 people, then this is a big enough difference to be significant...

a change of 8 people in 1000 is not a lot - with small populations the maths don't make sense even if they are correct theoretically.

MBTI measures preference... T types perfer to make decisions by thinking, they are not devoid of feeling. Yes some will be less feeling than others.

F types make choces on feeling, by why did the psycopath choose to kill etc? because he felt like it...

INTJ's don't half get a bad wrap on stuff like this... just because they use their brains (and I DO know you are not coming from that angle).

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    ^Very interesting commentary!
    I second that, it realyl says what I was meaning about it not nessesarily being one specific type