• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Psychopathy

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am wondering if there is a correlation between type. You see, a lot of what makes a 'psychopath' applies to one INTJ I know. However, it seems like a lot of the generalities about them apply to many NTs/INTJs.

Example, the bolded applies to him.

Factor 1
Aggressive narcissism

1. Glibness/superficial charm
2. Grandiose sense of self-worth
3. Pathological lying? I think he is.
4. Cunning/manipulative
5. Lack of remorse or guilt
6. Emotionally shallow
7. Callous/lack of empathy
8. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

However...many of these apply to me. Not the pathological lying. I suppose he may be a pathological liar. I need to look more into that. He believes all apply to him, but he is not emotionally shallow, nor is very superficially charming, or having a grandiose sense of self worth.

A lot of NTs are thought to be manipulative it seems, lacking in remorse/guilt, etc. That doesn't make them psychopaths.

So what makes a psychopath?

Can you tell if someone will become psychopathic?

What types would be most prone, or at least viewed that way?

You know there is a huge difference between an agressive narcassist and a psycopath... and a massive difference between common garden asshole and a Narcassist.

The thing with Narcs, and I beleive I've got experience of two of them... is that their victims are not able to put their fingers on it... it's a condition that makes you feel personally responcible as the victim - ie they think they have caused the issue... Hence it's like you try and rebalance the relationship all the time.

You seem confident this guy is an ass hole, a Narc isn't as consistant as that... realy nice at time and a moster at others - and the times they are monsters they make the victim feel it's thier issue. Hence the victim thinks it'a all a lie, nothing in their world feels quiet real. Emotionally exhausting. Ok so that is dating them, but they will segregate the people in their lives... they have a humbleness with authority which doesn't occur behind their backs but gneral fear of authority all the same.

I've come across two or three real victims of people Narc Dissorder - both have talked in the same way, uncertain feeling of something being very wrong but not being able to articulate it properly... they were both very educated women too.

The other thing about NPD is that they don't see you as a seperate person, you are their resource and they don't recgnise that you have free will.

The common factor I find is that they think it's their fault they couldn't reach the guy... almost like someone is locked in a cage.

I have a few links be careful on one guy who writes a lot he is a diagnosed agressive narc and yet he crowds chat rooms and pumps out info on it...

Basics of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)

Narcissism Book of Quotes

There is a massive difference between a healthy person and an unhealthy person.

This is the link to a letter by the daughter of someone with BPD ..... it should the scale of the dissorder that is a different legue than the average ass hole... sorry this one is abit disturbing because it's a letter to a psyciatrist.

Borderline Personality Disorder Diagnosis

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jaguar: sorry, I meant to be clear that I was trying to disprove to the guy that he is/will become a psychopath based on his preferences. I asked about the correlation not only because there may have been a loose correlation, but to see if there were types which may have been viewed like that.

Specifically the viewing part. I don't think that he realizes that his therapist thinks he exhibits signs of a sociopath possibly because of who he is. INTJ= anti social, viewed as callous, etc etc

You know there is a huge difference between an agressive narcassist and a psycopath... and a massive difference between common garden asshole and a Narcassist.

I know what you mean. This came from under the psychopathy part though. He isn't an asshole. I mean, he is the same brand of asshole I am, or many other NTs I have met, but he isn't a real asshole.

The thing with Narcs, and I beleive I've got experience of two of them... is that their victims are not able to put their fingers on it... it's a condition that makes you feel personally responcible as the victim - ie they think they have caused the issue... Hence it's like you try and rebalance the relationship all the time.

Hm...he doesn't make me feel like a victim. At all.

Thanks for your input. I will make sure he sees this, and realizes he isn't who he thinks he will become. Or who his therapist thinks he will become.

Last edited:

Jaguar

Jaguar: sorry, I meant to be clear that I was trying to disprove to the guy that he is/will become a psychopath based on his preferences. I asked about the correlation not only because there may have been a loose correlation, but to see if there were types which may have been viewed like that.

No problem. :newwink:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
By the way, Jaguar, what type are you?

Mole

Permabanned
If MBTI had any validity, it would be used in Court as a defence or in sentencing as a mitigating factor.

But it is not.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
That's pretty unoriginal don't you think?

Yeah, you're probably sick enough to come up with something much more creatively grotesque.

Maybe, but I'm hypothesizing that Se correlates more strongly.
I think other extroverted functions can also cause poor impulse control. It's just manifested in different ways depending on the function. Se is more impulsive when it comes to satiating tangible pleasures, but Ne can be pretty impulsive too when it comes to satiating mental curiosities (ie, what would happen if I did this?).

Isn't psychopathy like almost defined by poor impulse control?

That's a big part of the definition, but psychopaths are also defined by a decreased lack of empathy/remorse and a strong sense of self-worth and selfishness. Maybe the core causative agent is decreased impulse control though? Or maybe these characteristics are separate from this? Who knows...

ubiquitous1

Victor, If you think MBTI has no validity, then why do you post to threads involving MBTI? Have you started a topic about your opinion? Or do you just make random snide remarks meant to trivialize the OP without having to defend you position.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Victor, If you think MBTI has no validity, then why do you post to threads involving MBTI? Have you started a topic about your opinion? Or do you just make random snide remarks meant to trivialize the OP without having to defend you position.

He likes the attention.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

Agreed. I'm sick of seeing people making this claim. I don't think most of the people on this site attempt to utilize MBTI as a predictive tool. We just think it's a cool categorization system for describing behavioral tendencies and internal values. It can be applied to a lot of different psychological topics, and we just like discussing it. It's a pretty analytical system of personality categories, so why is it so far-fetched to attempt to correlate it with people's psyches?

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Yeah, you're probably sick enough to come up with something much more creatively grotesque.

Haha,... Before you go off on a silly notion about me being a psychopath, I'd suggest you get to know me first, I'm quite harmless... Lol

Mole

Permabanned
He likes the attention.

It's true - I love attention.

Even in second class in Primary School I knew I was a show-off. And here I am, a player in the Attention Economy.

And the ambition of any player is to become a celebrity. For a celebrity has gained the most attention in the Attention Economy.

And I have only barely begun to work with MBTI, just wait until I go to work on the Gun thread. You won't be able to take your eyes off me.

My God, MBTI is an American cult and America has incubated the gun culture.

And I confess, on this side of the world, we do find we have trouble getting the attention of America. So sometimes we have to shout, and sometimes we have to poke you in a sensitive spot - all to get your attention.

So pay attention America - for we have ways of making you pay.

ubiquitous1

Even in second class in Primary School I knew I was a show-off. And here I am, a player in the Attention Economy.

And the ambition of any player is to become a celebrity. For a celebrity has gained the most attention in the Attention Economy.

And I have only barely begun to work with MBTI, just wait until I go to work on the Gun thread. You won't be able to take your eyes off me.

And I confess, on this side of the world, we do find we have trouble getting the attention of America. So sometimes we have to shout, and sometimes we have to poke you in a sensitive spot - all to get your attention.

What are you talking about?

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?

I like you, want to be friends, together we will take over this cesspool of shame they call a forum! :cheese:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I am wondering if there is a correlation between type. You see, a lot of what makes a 'psychopath' applies to one INTJ I know. However, it seems like a lot of the generalities about them apply to many NTs/INTJs.

Example, the bolded applies to him.

Factor 1
Aggressive narcissism

1. Glibness/superficial charm
2. Grandiose sense of self-worth
3. Pathological lying? I think he is.
4. Cunning/manipulative
5. Lack of remorse or guilt
6. Emotionally shallow
7. Callous/lack of empathy
8. Failure to accept responsibility for own actions

However...many of these apply to me. Not the pathological lying. I suppose he may be a pathological liar. I need to look more into that. He believes all apply to him, but he is not emotionally shallow, nor is very superficially charming, or having a grandiose sense of self worth.

A lot of NTs are thought to be manipulative it seems, lacking in remorse/guilt, etc. That doesn't make them psychopaths.

So what makes a psychopath?

Can you tell if someone will become psychopathic?

What types would be most prone, or at least viewed that way?

The trick with this stuff is that you are looking for these as overriding characteristics not just the presence of them.

In the past I have done:

Glibness/superficial charm
Emotionally shallow
Cunning/manipulative
Lack of remorse or guilt
Callous/lack of empathy
Failure to accept responsibility for own actions
Grandiose sense of self-worth
I've lied many times. Probably not pathological though.

The difference is there is normally a reason when I do it and it happens only occasionally. They are all human traits that can exist in a totally normal person. For aggressive narcissism these patterns occur quite regularly without any reasonable cause.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You speak just like Ellsworth Toohey.

Just thought I would let you know.

Also, what else do you not believe in? I am curious.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Haha,... Before you go off on a silly notion about me being a psychopath, I'd suggest you get to know me first, I'm quite harmless... Lol

That's just your predatorial way of luring me in. I know how you psychopaths work; a penchant for manipulation is one of the top 10 signs, right?

You speak just like Ellsworth Toohey.

Just thought I would let you know.

Ouch...

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
That's just your predatorial way of luring me in. I know how you psychopaths work; a penchant for manipulation is one of the top 10 signs, right?

Well then, it takes one to know one, I guess... :huh: