User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    My sentiments exactly. WTF is wrong with you?

MBTI
    INTP

Working against you means exposing every tiny weakness so FN can relentlessly hammer you. That is called leverage. I don't want to do it but I will if you back me into a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    Working against you means exposing every tiny weakness so FN can relentlessly hammer you. That is called leverage. I don't want to do it but I will if you back me into a corner.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    In particular, please try to convince me that self-worth is not contingent on finding something particular of value in myself.
    Consider the person who is severely disabled either through genetics or environment, who has an intelligence level that allows for only limited functioning, who has diminished motor control and requires continual assistance for basic personal functioning, and who can become difficult to interact with when frustrated and lashing out. What worth does this person have? What does their existence mean?

I have worked with such individuals, and their life as a human being with all its limitations is still capable of perception, joy, and appreciation. A particular individual comes to my mind based on experience. When I let him hold my little lap harp he laughed with tremendous joy and enthusiasm as he strummed the strings. He also faithfully watched Shania Twain's performances on TV and would sing along at his group home. Strangely enough I have also known incredibly gifted individuals who never felt "good enough", and I wondered if they ever allowed themselves to embrace life with pure joy and appreciation. There is perception and joy within the grasp of human life even when stripped of external skills. Valuing life based on its performance is once removed from the experience of life and can cease to be life in the fullest sense. Existence is what it is within a single moment, and not the result of comparison against an external measurement. The capacity to exist is the intrinsic value of any individual.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Consider the person who is severely disabled either through genetics or environment, who has an intelligence level that allows for only limited functioning, who has diminished motor control and requires continual assistance for basic personal functioning, and who can become difficult to interact with when frustrated and lashing out. What worth does this person have? What does their existence mean?
    It's not nice to talk about Jaguar that way!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    It's not nice to talk about Jaguar that way!

I see you are not a man of your word. I figured as much.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I have noticed that some people, like Athenian and me, base their self-worth on finding something particular of value in themselves. This often results in low self-esteem. It does for me.

How would you convince someone who believes in contingent self-worth to change his/her mind?
    Hmmm I can relate to this to some extent. I am increasingly suprised at how much my thought processes resemble INTPs while my actions are closest resemble ENFPs. (excluding some things)

However for me, I have a very basic level of self worth - in who I am. BUT I need to reach beyond that... how I view myself greatly depends on how well I'm reaching my goals, I have such a strong innate need to go towards them.

Like right now I'm so @#$@#%$#$ frustrated with my career, or lack of progress therein. I was supposed to be making 80k with the real estate market by now! Now I hate any kind of sales even though I'm supposedly good and won an award in it.

:sigh:

I feel like my 14 y/o kid brother is doing better than I am - at least he's getting an internship through my dad. I can't even get one even though I worked my butt off and have 4 years of (useless?) skills.

/End rant of repressed thoughts.
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

i'm quite sure at some point in my very young life others didn't cherish me like i did myself and this created a conflict of self-esteem. i felt like i had it but the important people in my life felt i lacked it. so then i developed a hard ego against this bias. my ego claimed excellence for some good (and likely-to my shock- bad) inherent qualities i possessed naturally. i wanted to be loved for my good qualities only but then, alas, everything got messed up. i couldn't figure out how my truly nasty parts got in me. but i carried on and felt that most people who saw my bad parts were also pretty cruddy too. i felt like if i could see their cruddy parts then they probably could see mine and thus it went, all because of others in the first place saw the yucky parts of me. damn you all! :steam:

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

I'll go on the damn everybody crusade with you! As for your comment, yes it's really annoying when past employers, teachers, and many people say all kinds of positive things about you. But when it comes down to the people it really matters to, they just don't see the same thing. But then I look back to myself, to try to learn to more clearly communicate my strengths in a way beneficial to them.

My older sister told me this week I need more self esteem. Are you kidding?! Common seriously. I'm one of the most friendly confident people my age, I naturally believe I can do anything I set my mind to. I've become just really jaded I guess...?

Uh yeah.. So I probably shouldn't derail this thread. lol And these thoughts are better left suppresed in my complaints box while I get myself to go be productive and solve my problem. Thank you for listening. *waves at audience* Some people have been irritating recently.
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I see you are not a man of your word. I figured as much.
    Awww I'm just kidding. Sorry dude.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?