User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Just as empathy and sympathy are often confused, self esteem and self respect are similarly confused.

For self esteem is dependent on what others think of you, while self respect is dependent on what you think of yourself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Everyone is equal, self worth is based on the fact that no one is better or worst than you are. It's all about what you do with your life and doing the best you can with what you have.

Its having the courage to accept who you are with all your flaws. Concentrating in what's important and what you want to do to make you happy. Once you embraced who you are and what your not, then you can concentrate on what you wanna do and finally live life how you want. Thinking negatively only digs you a deeper grave and some people don't come out of that which cause them to get stuck in that moment for the rest of their life.

Self worth is a perspective that your equal to everyone and have an equal opportunity to be happy.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

In my experience, I became convinced of my self-worth when I began to really feel and experience it. I don't think you can convince someone by argument of their self-worth. I think the person has to come to their own recognition and experience of it.

I do think that people have self-worth no matter what, in the sense that they just are by nature valuable, like a leaf is green, it's just the way it is. That said, you can either be conscious of it or not. A leaf doesn't know it's green, it just is. Humans have it more complicated. Humans can devalue themselves based on how they treat themselves and the decisions they make.

Even if a person had parents who recognised and reflected their self-worth back to them, I think that's still only a foundation. Really strong and lasting self-worth has to be built and constructed by the individual themselves. For me that came gradually the more I learned about life and people and myself in general. As long you don't get stuck in a rut and are always evolving, I think the feeling of self-worth builds up.

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    In particular, please try to convince me that self-worth is not contingent on finding something particular of value in myself.
    OK. A lot of good insights in this thread. Here's one that jumped out at me:

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    The things that I base my self-esteem are EASY things that are very broad and generally fail-proof. Haha.
    There's something to that. In my experience, the bigger the picture we have, or the broader the view, the more content or resilient we can be.

Here's one broad view: A range of individuals, with differing traits, are needed in a species in order for it to have the capacity to adapt and continue to exist. In this regard, your existence and your traits are necessary. They'd be necessary even if not used in the current environment, even if they were a handicap to you as an individual, in a particular environment. You ARE this lovely and healthy genetic variability. You are worthwhile no matter what you do, or don't do.

Here's another: We can't untangle who we are and what we do from, well, anything. How your great-grandfather treated his kids has an affect on you today. The blowing in the wind of a virus or rock particle affected a cell of someone who's close to you, and their illness became a part of your experience of life. Everything's shedding molecules, or combining them. Even being able to talk about 'my ring' or 'the spoon' or 'that cat' or 'Mr. Taylor' is a convenience. Behind that, is inseparability. The planet birthed you, and the galaxy birthed the planet, and . . . You're an equal inseparable part of this; you belong here as much as your neighbor; you're equal to your neighbor, the cat, the spoon, and the ring.

There, all better? Just remember, the bottom line is that your worth is the same as a pile of $#@%. (Teasing! But only in this paragraph, not in the ones above.)

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well until I can start to measure my self by something other than grades, trophies, and fucking pieces of paper on my wall, I'm going to be SOL.

EDIT: Sorry about my outbursts lately, I've been going through a 2 week emotional breakdown that is coming to a head.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    EDIT: Sorry about my outbursts lately, I've been going through a 2 week emotional breakdown that is coming to a head.
    Whooooooah big fella! *pulls on the reins*

Can you feel the Luv at Final's time?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Whooooooah big fella! *pulls on the reins*

Can you feel the Luv at Final's time?
    Well, my shoulder to cry on is driving back from Tennessee as we speak.

I just have to keep my shit together long enough so that I can keep studying until she gets here.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Well, my shoulder to cry on is driving back from Tennessee as we speak.

I just have to keep my shit together enough so that I can keep studying until she gets here.
    Awww!

You'll be fine.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Awww!

You'll be fine.
    Lord willin' and the crick don't rise.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP