• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Time is the only currency that matters

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I don't know much about all the psychology stuff to be honest with you.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'd say that attention is the core currency of the individual.

You know, that perspective kind of makes sense, too.

It's connected to the other, in that attention costs time, but I can see this as having a certain truth. It also explains why there's a difference between wasting time (using it not to pay attention, or to pay attention to useless things), and using it well (paying attention to something useful).

In other words, attention can be used to add value to time that won't disappear after it has passed.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'd say that attention is the core currency of the individual.

Time, for me at least, is more important than attention.

Time = how much I can get done (whether this be working, loving, or living) and thereby render my life meaningful

Attention = something less than what I just described above

wolfy

awsm
Time, for me at least, is more important than attention.

Time = how much I can get done (whether this be working, loving, or living) and thereby render my life meaningful

Attention = something less than what I just described above

Attention, for me at least, is more important than time.

Attention = how much I can give my attention to (whether this be working, loving, or living) and thereby render my life meaningful

Time is the base resource but can't be levered.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Definitely true. As Einstein said, "The most powerful force in the universe is compound interest".

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Attention, for me at least, is more important than time.

Attention = how much I can give my attention to (whether this be working, loving, or living) and thereby render my life meaningful

Time is the base resource but can't be levered.

The fact that it can't be levered is what makes it more valuable.

The fact that it marches on the same as always, means (in the words of one of my very favorite actors) that, "you either get busy living, or get busy dieing".

The fact that time is not under our control is the reason we cherish the attention we give to others as much as we do.

wolfy

awsm
The fact that it can't be levered is what makes it more valuable.

The fact that it marches on the same as always, means (in the words of one of my very favorite actors) that, "you either get busy living, or get busy dieing".

The fact that time is not under our control is the reason we cherish the attention we give to others as much as we do.

I agree. Time is our most precious resource. Attention is our most precious currency, our medium of exchange.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Ahh...

Then the war of words has been one it seems!

EDIT: I totally agree with you, I just wanted to be a cheeky ass.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I guess so.

But I'm usually thought of as irrelevant because I'm not very accomplished and don't stand out, to the point that I feel too insignificant to take up anyone else's time.

It's why I prefer e-mail and such to the phone... the phone says, "I'm important enough to demand your attention NOW," while e-mail says "Pay attention to this if you have time."

Well, what is your definition of accomplished?

I would think anyone that tries to do what they want, even if they fail has accomplish something most people hasn't, and that is to try at all. The biggest obstacle is think yourself irrelevenant. That mindset is one of your biggest obstacle, because you'll be too busy thinking of what others are thinking of you, rather than what you need to do to be your ideal self.

That negativity is a self-fufilling prophecy and has a nasty cycle if you don't break it.

Theres no such thing as an irrelavent human, everyone is worth the same.

Jaguar

If that's the case, then why do people care so much about achievements? Why are they impressed by them? It seems that people must believe they bestow value on some level...

What is considered an "achievement" to some, is not by others.

I could definitely do proofreading, with a bit of study. I can't write anything original like an author can, but I can write things such an analysis or an essay. I'm more like an editor than a writer at heart.

If you can demonstrate you have that skill, you could work for a local publication.
Never ignore your natural talents.
You may say some crazy shit in this forum, but I think you have potential.
Getting rid of your psychological baggage is your biggest hurdle.

Letting others down is one thing, but the worst person you can possibly let down is yourself.
You have to give it a shot, no matter the odds.

Roll it.

Permabanned
It's why I prefer e-mail and such to the phone... the phone says, "I'm important enough to demand your attention NOW," while e-mail says "Pay attention to this if you have time."

Or it can mean: "I've decided to greet you with some of my time/attention, so feel special" which is mostly what people have in mind when they call to say hello to relatives/loved ones. Here the loved part sets the mindset.

All just mental constructs. Just a pair of lenses that may or may not coincide with someone else's, depending on it's origins/influenties [enter personality type, education, social influence, etc], that hardly ever matches the true colors of reality.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Or it can mean: "I've decided to greet you with some of my time/attention, so feel special" which is mostly what people have in mind when they call to say hello to relatives/loved ones. Here the loved part sets the mindset.

All just mental constructs. Just a pair of lenses that may or may not coincide with someone else's, depending on it's origins/influenties [enter personality type, education, social influence, etc], that hardly ever matches the true colors of reality.

Well, in that case, you have to LOVE the person to look at it that way, and I don't feel anything that extreme towards them...

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
But time doesn't exist.

If it does however, some peoples "time" is more valuable than others...

Permabanned
If that's the case, then why do people care so much about achievements? Why are they impressed by them? It seems that people must believe they bestow value on some level...

Ego - The False Center

Me neither. My mom's been trying to help me think positively again, too, but she's stuck in a dead-end job that she feels like she only got by lying, terrified of losing it, and doesn't know how to help me. She said she mostly got it because she literally drove her car everywhere, went into any store she could find, and basically begged everyone for work (mostly because she had to take care of me)... and eventually found a temp agency that sent her to a company that decided to hire her. She's worked there for the last 10+ years, at least. She's never gotten more than a 3 cent raise, and never gotten a promotion.

She doesn't even think she could find another job if she lost hers... so she's struggling to advise me.

Sounds like my mom. Also control freak, and lack of determination to take decisions. Self discredits. But in all sacrifices herself for others, ending up then just having a bunch of arguments to keep fueling the drama. It's just the way she sees the world, but too inefficient, if one is to allow such view to be the only view, that culminates in the unavoidablity that has translated into being her life, thus feeding the egoic-mind-made constructs, that feed on anything they can to sustain the egoic-self, even and specially in a negative way. Also too much going on related to this, the above link may help. And some more videos like the previous one, in a thread I made.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Money is exactly equal to your time. Depending on how much time you put in you get a certain amount of money. Depending on how much your time is worth (education, experience, which are both actually time) your payment per time will go up.

So everyone who gets paid gets paid for their "time"