12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Default Decent female role models

In another thread Santtu made a comment about women lacking a decent concept of how to be powerful without being pissy. I figured there's a lack of decent role models for this behaviour. Women who have power and presence without gaining it or expressing it via beating others down. So I figured a thread discussing the various role models out there might be interesting as I can't think of more than a few women who have achieved an adequate amount of presence, confidence and relaxed alpha behaviour without putting others down.

Just to establish parameters, Joan Rivers is NOT a good example of a success. That's a fail. As is most if not all of the famous female singers. Mostly this is due to fame warping them and some underlying desperation. A good role model just is as they are, warts and all.

One example I plucked out of the air whilst musing this was Fay Ripley. Having seen her on Top Gear she seemed totally unfazed by the male dominated atmosphere and appeared relaxed and herself. Almost as if she accepted herself as "zany" even when she messed up she just laughed with everyone else and carried on happy to be the but of the joke as much as the joker.

But then I failed to think of any more concrete examples I'm happy with.

Any ideas?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I don't model myself after people. I am a role model.

But other than myself, Marilyn Monroe. Anyone who sings happy birthday to JFK is my hero.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I don't model myself after people. I am a role model.

But other than myself, Marilyn Monroe. Anyone who sings happy birthday to JFK is my hero.
    You think she was well "sorted" and a "switched on" kind of person?

Wow this is an up mountain problem!!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Michelle Obama made an impression on me when I heard her speak because she has that strength. Amelia Earhart, Dian Fossey, and Jane Goodall are also inspiring. Sally Ride was a specific hero of mine when I was a kid.

Because of the historical role of lesser power for women in leadership and as intellectuals, I do especially cringe when a woman gains the spotlight and acts girlish, submissive, flirty, and at the same time bitchy. When a woman is in the forefront and clearly incompetent, it reflects more on "women" than when an individual man displays similar incompetence.

Edit: In the arts I especially appreciate the work of Germaine Tailleferre, Clara Wieck Schumann, Sylvia Plath, and Georgia O'Keefe for starters.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    You think she was well "sorted" and a "switched on" kind of person?

Wow this is an up mountain problem!!
    Hahahaha no, I don't at all. But, she knew how to get what she wanted.

Honestly, I can't really think of any.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

If we must have role models, I think Anita Anand would be a good one. She hosts the live TV show 'The Daily Politics' and is clearly highly knowledgeable and competent, asks relevant questions of guest politicians, never seems nervous and doesn't over-compensate by being too stiff, serious or going in the other direction and playing up to feminine stereotypes. She's completely relaxed, confident, professional and polite.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    If we must have role models...
    That's not really the issue. People shouldn't try to mimic and role models do cosset that behaviour but they also lead the attitudes of people. At the moment a calm and powerful woman would be thought of as a bit strange I'd reckon.

Because people have no known models to compare such people to at present (afaict) it seems a murky area fraught with accusations and false claims. Basically it's an area which seems to need a better framework of language and characterisations so that it can flower in depth meaning. At present you're either a butch dyke or some power shoulder wearing Joan Collins freak from the 80s! That's just ridiculous and, to my reckoning, more offensive than a pinched arse!

You need a female Churchill or something.

Okay I am thinking Helen Mirran now... does it matter that she's gay? Some how I think it does but in the narrower focus of personality I still think she's a good role model.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    That's not really the issue. People shouldn't try to mimic and role models do cosset that behaviour but they also lead the attitudes of people. At the moment a calm and powerful woman would be thought of as a bit strange I'd reckon.

Because people have no known models to compare such people to at present (afaict) it seems a murky area fraught with accusations and false claims.
    Hmm, yeah, that might be true.

MBTI
    intp

Well, yes. Let's have some male-sanctioned models of assertiveness for women to emulate.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    Well, yes. Let's have some male-sanctioned models of assertiveness for women to emulate.
    Knew someone would bring that up. You got two choices pal, you're either trying to enter the same game or you're making a new one to compete. Either way around requires sacrifice.

If you want powerful women to be treated the same as powerful men then they need to be the same. If not then what should be different? What's being sacrificed for what gain?

Anyway what's your suggestion for a role model? Destruction is easy, creation is the measure of a person.