• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Decent female role models

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Okay, so this is the thread I visited when I was mad the other night. Let's see..

Plz people, drop the idiotic whore-or-saint -scenarios. You're just flattering yourself with all of those. THe whole damned thread is about losing ideas like that and other cr*p that holds you back.

Okay, used curse words there; that was unneeded.

But, contrary to what some people claim, I haven't been congratulated from my pissy behavior, even tho I am a male.

Perhaps the acceptance of crimes of the male has been greatly exaggerated.

A side note: Do they install alco locks to computers?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Although it's worse for one of my colleagues who's an engineer - we have some customers who don't want to take her advice, purely because she's a girl....

And so shall it remain until women stop this psychological genuflection before "the male perspective." No incentive not to behave badly.
Hacking themselves to bits to become more acceptable is not always an option. Good thing, too.

Santtu said:
Perhaps the acceptance of crimes of the male has been greatly exaggerated.
Doubtful. We did see, for example, a defense of Xander's hyperaggressive response with "And her initial contribution was so helpful wasn't it..."

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And so shall it remain until women stop this psychological genuflection before "the male perspective." No incentive not to behave badly.
Hacking themselves to bits to become more acceptable is not always an option. Good thing, too.

Ina dearest,
are you suggesting that women are to blame for male arrogance and pride?

(sorry, but you're the only person in this thread worth engaging ;))

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
And some people wonder why they're not taken seriously.

I've tried repeatedly to get this back onto some form of discussion, now this is just descending into a cluster of bait and switch.

Congrats you pair, I am now confused as to whether to block you, try again to get some kind of discussion where you may actually engage instead of trying drive by spamming with no real content, later then professing to have solved a mystery which does even seem to exists, or to just respond and try to assemble this whole derail into one line of discussion with some form of content so that things can progress.

If there's any indication of actual discussion which may get somewhere other than bra burning or discussions on how two teenagers have been repressed for hundreds of years then I may engage. Otherwise I think this is a done deal really, perhaps the whole forum too.

Mole

Permabanned
The creative don't have role models. It is only the uncreative that have role models.

The uncreative leech off the creative. But 'leech' is such a pejorative word, so it must be replaced by words that sell better, such as, 'role model'.

To model yourself on a role sounds so much better than leeching off the creative.

But even modelling yourself on a role means you are a role player. And role players are just not creative. For a role is predetermined - it is the antithesis of creativity.

And many want to be models - not because models are creative, but because modelling is glamourous. And the glamour is designed to conceal the uncreative nature of modelling.

So the creative need a role model like a fish needs a bicycle.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
And some people wonder why they're not taken seriously.

I've tried repeatedly to get this back onto some form of discussion, now this is just descending into a cluster of bait and switch.

Congrats you pair, I am now confused as to whether to block you, try again to get some kind of discussion where you may actually engage instead of trying drive by spamming with no real content, later then professing to have solved a mystery which does even seem to exists, or to just respond and try to assemble this whole derail into one line of discussion with some form of content so that things can progress.

If there's any indication of actual discussion which may get somewhere other than bra burning or discussions on how two teenagers have been repressed for hundreds of years then I may engage. Otherwise I think this is a done deal really, perhaps the whole forum too.

This thread has a very poorly thought out OP. It's just a weak premise. That's why it's getting stomped on.

Simply make a better thread next time.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
This thread has a very poorly thought out OP. It's just a weak premise. That's why it's getting stomped on.

Simply make a better thread next time.
That would be an excellent concept if it came from someone who had the background to actually be in the position to evaluate but seeing as it's a poorly thought out insult or two thrown out at an idea that if I'd made some backhanded half arsed comment about the idea being in development would have probably gone unnoticed.

It's quite simple, if you don't get why... ask! Insult and expect to get rebuked.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The creative don't have role models. It is only the uncreative that have role models.

The uncreative leech off the creative. But 'leech' is such a pejorative word, so it must be replaced by words that sell better, such as, 'role model'.

To model yourself on a role sounds so much better than leeching off the creative.

But even modelling yourself on a role means you are a role player. And role players are just not creative. For a role is predetermined - it is the antithesis of creativity.

And many want to be models - not because models are creative, but because modelling is glamourous. And the glamour is designed to conceal the uncreative nature of modelling.

Roles and role models are not prescriptive unless used as such the same as english and any other form of communication. A fish does not need a bike because the tool has no application. The creative need role models as much as anyone else because they form descriptions, shortcuts and examples around which meaningful discourse can be assembled. Without such people you're basically being a goldfish.

No language exists without stereotypes, role models are central to stereotypes. Whether people use such impliments for good or bad is as irrelevant to their existence as life itself. You can't say, for example, that humans do evil things ergo wipe out the whole race. The same is true for stereotypes and role models.

Oh and don't go offending the role players... You'll get a d20 in the eye quicker than you can say "was that a confirmation roll?".

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not really into role models myself, but I guess one woman stands out for me as worthy of much respect...

Nichole Kidman...while/after she broke up with Tom Cruise. She as an actress that to be honest was a bit on the candyfloss side - nothing particuarly specail, pretty girl, very capable etc. Very happily married from the media perspective. Then he drops his bombshell and riped her world appart - She managed the next 2 - 4 years so well, with so much dignity and class, such visible hurt and pain so raw on the surface and never once did she hit out or back etc. She behaved like a total lady and threw herself into her work.

She made a range of truely brlliantly acted movies during this time, Mouline Rouge, The hours, The nterpreter, Cold Mountain etc.

I guess for me she was the epitomy of grace under pressure, and as I said at the beinging I'm not particualrly into celebraty culture or aspire or elevate people, but the women was increadibly respect worthy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've never felt the need to look for role models of my same race or gender ever- an impressive acheivement is an impressive acheivement, regardless of gender or background! :) Maybe thats just me though...

How about Barbara Jordan (if there is a God I hope that they speak like her! :holy:) or Louisa May Alcott (I just heard a program on the radio about her a while back- fascinating, smart and strong woman!)? They're not usually as well known pop culturally anymore-but they were impressive... And I've always loved Katherine Hepburn :wubbie:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Awesome. :)

Xander, do stop throwing your toys out of the pram. You've been pwned.
It's hysterically funny that your whole rant is about women being pissy!

Maybe someday you'll get the joke.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
This is overly depressive. No pwning has been done. Attempts have been seen though. Go continue believing you can express power in your own way, dismissing the lessons learned by the experts. Good luck.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I've never had a role model. I don't see the point.

What's good is good and what's bad is bad. Basing that on an actual person seems... childish.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
People are portraying themselves as too much of an individualist. Really, if person named Blaise Pascal has inspired you, and you've wanted in part to follow in his footprints (even if not for the most part), then that person is a role model for you, for all the important measures.

Responses to this thread seem to indicate an abnormally high proportion of original thinkers, which I believe is not the case.

Most the people who think that they don't have "role models" think of it because of dismissing Britney Spears.

Then they talk of Albert Einstein in good manner.

People of all kinds neglect the kind of influence that other people have on them.

People standardly reject the affect of commercials on them.

In standardized studies, the effect of commercials have been found to be quite much more than the people have suspected.

I'm hoping that the kind of "independence" of the people in here isn't just as paper-thin as that.

I've worked in the marketing business for years.

"yes, I'm not at all affected by commercials. I think on my own. That's why I select Saab/Pepsi/AT&T/whatever."

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People are portraying themselves as too much of an individualist.
Still flogging this dead horse?

I've never had any role models either. I can admire someone without wanting to emulate them. I can't even imagine modeling myself on anyone else. Seems like a lot of work. Must be a J thing.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
A representation of this thread's progress:

ridiculous -------------------------------------------------------X------> lame

X = You are here.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
A representation of this thread's progress:

ridiculous -------------------------------------------------------X------> lame

X = You are here.

Then is it time for some tap dancing?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You know you'll just whine all your life about how you're not being accepted to the big games, even though you're quite so equal with everyone and their dog.

This thread has been marked with trolling, so I'll throw my own trolling in.

You know with the equal opportunity and all. *bwaah why aren't we women being accepted. We're so good.* "We didn't like your games in the first place, men! "

*goes to study the newest issue of Cosmo*