• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Decent female role models

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Lol... Isn't that a rather extreme variety. You know those women who originate from some small village in the middle of nowhere?

Nope, they're all over the place. Whenever you see a woman like that you should think, "Damn she must have high testosterone!" and recommend her for leadership positions.

If this were the case that a lack of testosterone fosters such competitive behavior, women should be completely dominating capitalist markets. The only reason they're not is pure discrimination.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Nope, they're all over the place. Whenever you see a woman like that you should think, "Damn she must have high testosterone!" and recommend her for leadership positions.
That's a point.

So basically what you're saying is not that we should be striving for equal right for women in general but just for the ugly ones... I like it!

Power to the uggoes!!!
If this were the case that a lack of testosterone fosters such competitive behavior, women should be completely dominating capitalist markets. The only reason they're not is pure discrimination.
That's quite probably true. However preventing corporate war with private armies would be the real trick. Perhaps it's preservation of the species which stops wise old blokes recruiting women...

:devil:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
That's quite probably true. However preventing corporate war with private armies would be the real trick. Perhaps it's preservation of the species which stops wise old blokes recruiting women...

No way! Whatever happened to striving for progress? Women should be the leaders in this economy because they are so naturally competitive, and men should go to necessary noncompetitive pursuits, like childcare and nursing, where they belong!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
No way! Whatever happened to striving for progress? Women should be the leaders in this economy because they are so naturally competitive, and men should go to necessary noncompetitive pursuits, like childcare and nursing, where they belong!
Exactly. Women, especially the pretty ones, should be sent to fight in the armed services.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The creative don't have role models. It is only the uncreative that have role models.
Then how do you explain that most individuals who make a creative contribution have influences from other creative people who have come before them?

There is no such thing as pure originality in the world. Each human being, whether creative or not, is a conglomeration of the influences they have encountered. We mirror back every nuance of our speech, the way we use our hands when we speak, the opinions we hold, how we respond to conflict, the way we cook spaghetti, etc. There might be a sliver of originality in the way we reassemble these influences or in the ability to transfer an old influence into a new context. Role models can be a source of conscious or unconscious influence, but they are there regardless.

Exactly. Women, especially the pretty ones, should be sent to fight in the armed services.
Issues involving involuntary military service are another question, but I personally would rather live in a world where my contribution was treated for its own merits and not reevaluated because of gender even if that meant my life would be at equal risk in that society. To have my intellectual contribution dismissed because of some aspect of my physicality is already a kind of death.

Mole

Permabanned
Then how do you explain that most individuals who make a creative contribution have influences from other creative people who have come before them?

They must kill the creative person who has come before them.

But first they must eat them, consume them, feed on them and digest them, making them part of oneself - before killing them.

Oedipus killed his father and Electra killed her mother, freeing them to create the world.

All role models perish in the fires of creativity to make the world anew.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
BioMed Portugal

In short, men are more fair in a competitive situation than women, thanks to their testosterone. This is in contrast to the popular view of how the hormone works. Perhaps this is the explanation, not the role models.

Edit: an addition: The summary told nothing of men compared to women - that was synthesis on my part, on the basis of common knowledge that men have higher levels of testosterone. Other issues may affect the behavior of men and women, as well.

The biggest problem with your "synthesis" that it contradicts other studies on this test between men and women.

From the BBC Sex ID Test on dividing money:

Ultimatum

This task asked you how you would divide money.

If you had to split £50 with someone, you said you would demand £25

So far on the Sex ID test, men have demanded 51.6% (£25.80) of the pot and women have demanded 51.0% (£25.50), on average.

What does your response suggest?

Sex differences are small in this task. Demanding less than 60% of the pot (ie £30) is more typically female. Demanding more than 65% of the pot (ie £32.50) is more typically male.

Scientists believe that people with lower testosterone levels tend to take fewer risks so they are probably more willing to keep less for themselves. Those with higher testosterone levels tend to drive a harder bargain and are less compromising.

Men's testosterone levels fluctuate over the seasons and are at their lowest levels during the springtime. This is said to influence their bargaining power.

So, I'm guessing if you want to divide money with someone, do it with a woman with hirutism, because she'll give you a fair bargain, right?

Maybe women respond to testosterone being introduced to their bodies differently. Or maybe the sample size isn't good enough, or maybe, hey, Swiss women are just weird and too different from British women to compare.

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Out of the box female role models:

Queen Victoria, Violet Marcell, Adriana Lima, Goldie Hawn etc.

In the box role female models:

Hillary Clinton, Paris Hilton, Tyra Banks, Madonna etc.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Issues involving involuntary military service are another question, but I personally would rather live in a world where my contribution was treated for its own merits and not reevaluated because of gender even if that meant my life would be at equal risk in that society. To have my intellectual contribution dismissed because of some aspect of my physicality is already a kind of death.
Precisely. But is it fair to try and have a sexually neutral measure or is that just unfair to both sexes?
They should be sent to my house for my services.
Armed?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Out of the box female role models:

Queen Victoria, Violet Marcell, Adriana Lima, Goldie Hawn etc.

In the box role female models:

Hillary Clinton, Paris Hilton, Tyra Banks, Madonna etc.

Thank you. Spot on.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
What makes Paris Hilton, Madonna and Tyra Banks role models? They're awful. I'd hate to see my kid idolise either one of them.

Or... was that a joke?

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
What makes Paris Hilton, Madonna and Tyra Banks role models? They're awful. I'd hate to see my kid idolise either one of them.

Or... was that a joke?

...That's why I said "In the box role models"

:yes:

It's like that saying—I'm going to paraphrase it—everybody is an example to others, even if it's a bad example.

Mole

Permabanned
It's interesting that the search for female role models extends no further than popular culture.

It is as though the horizon is that of popular culture.

It is as though we can see no further than the event horizon of popular culture.

And why should we be surprised as the black hole of popular culture produces its own event horizon that blinds us to the rest of the universe.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Precisely. But is it fair to try and have a sexually neutral measure or is that just unfair to both sexes?
How would it be unfair to both sexes? Are you referring to military service or contribution to society? Shouldn't evaluation of a contribution be measured for its own merits and not in the context of a gender. Perhaps you could give an example.

There is an unconscious bias against women's contribution today as a result of history. For example, when your think of the pinnacle of human achievement in terms of the arts, there is Mozart and Monet. It is long forgotten that Mozart's sister Marianne demonstrated the same prodigy as a child, but grew up to be a lady instead of composer. What if Wolfgang with all his brilliance lived in a time where he was to become a gentleman and not composer (assuming the same distinction between the two given to women). What would it be like to have that brilliance inside, but to be dismissed because your body was the wrong gender? Because of the ability to maintain anonymity, female authors were able to make an earlier mark. Similarly, it is likely that Fanny Mendelssohn had her works published under Felix's name because it was unseemly for a lady to work as a composer, and so a penname allowed some of her works to survive. In the 1880s a form of therapy for women suffering from depression was non-activity because it was believed that too much thinking and lack of focus on domestic duties was harmful to women causing depression and hysteria. How would it be if Einstein was given a regiment of bed rest and non-thought when he felt down because his thinking was harmful to him because it was unnatural and caused him to neglect his domestic requirements? What if any of the great male contributors to knowledge were evaluated as being "quite an impressive contribution for a man?"