Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    by all means. Then the thread will have some purpose other than the gutless piss-ranting it started with.
    :grabs top-hat, cane, and phonograph with Al Jolson record:

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

^Ina, This is funney, probably some ingrained woman procedure that's hard-coded in them to prevent gaining power.

See, the men didn't start it pissy at all. That's projecting, honey.

Now you go rant all day about spineless men or whatever floats your boat.

Edit: and of course you're not my honey, but you're just dieing to be a target of some patronizing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    :grabs top-hat, cane, and phonograph with Al Jolson record:

[shakes it to the left]
    .................................................. ...............................[shakes it to the right]

[shimmies]
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    People are portraying themselves as too much of an individualist. Really, if person named Blaise Pascal has inspired you, and you've wanted in part to follow in his footprints (even if not for the most part), then that person is a role model for you, for all the important measures.

Responses to this thread seem to indicate an abnormally high proportion of original thinkers, which I believe is not the case.

Most the people who think that they don't have "role models" think of it because of dismissing Britney Spears.

Then they talk of Albert Einstein in good manner.

People of all kinds neglect the kind of influence that other people have on them.

People standardly reject the affect of commercials on them.

In standardized studies, the effect of commercials have been found to be quite much more than the people have suspected.

I'm hoping that the kind of "independence" of the people in here isn't just as paper-thin as that.

I've worked in the marketing business for years.

"yes, I'm not at all affected by commercials. I think on my own. That's why I select Saab/Pepsi/AT&T/whatever."
    No, see, the thing is that I've always wanted to be some kind of artist or another while I was growing up. Then, what happens is when you look at artists, you do not see glowing examples of character, you see terribly flawed people clawing their way through life to recognition, often ending in despair, insanity, and an overwhelming emptiness.

I can admire their work, but who in their right mind would want to model their lives after that?!

I will leave it at this. I see the bad in people much easier than I see the good. I have anti-role models, not role models. If that still counts, then so be it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

There's really a severe lack of strong female role models that aren't strong in the "ZOMG I CAN OUTDO ANY MALE!" a la xena, or of the "My super power is a bikini!" a la everyone else...

There are, however, a few.

Ripley in ALIENS (not so much in alien or the later ones), and Naomi Armitage from Armitage III are good ones which were actually done right.

Especially Armitage, she was my hero(ine) for a long time, and still do love the character ^^

At least in the first movie, not sure about the second, haven't heard anything good about that one. (Stick to Polymatrix not dual matrix)

That being said though, I'm having a hard time thinking of others... I guess Feena and Lilly, both from Grandia would work.

I could include my own writings I guess, but I think I've only managed to successfully pull off an actual 'good' female role model maybe... once. I was going to say twice but one of them goes insane so I guess that doesn't count XD

But yeah... female role models kinda... suck. It's always either overkill on being "save me!" or trying to outdo the men. So few are the cases of being 'strong' in a natural way without forcing the matter by trying to pretend strong = male tendencies.

EDIT: Only just read a few other posts now... originally posted based on the original topic >.>

Seriously wth people. This "gender war" nonsense has REALLY got to stop >.<

I swear, yeu're nearly as bad as the Drazi on babylon 5...

Every 5 years... they get all the Drazi togeather... and they put a bunch of green and purple sashes into a barrel. Yeu reach in and grab one randomly. If yeu get a green sash, yeu're on the green team, if yeu get a purple one, yeu're on the purple team. There's a 50/50 split. Then they beat the crap out of each other and whichever side wins gets to control the government.

Yes, it's total absolute 100% 50/50 blind pick chance. Even the leaders are blind pick as one sash for green and purple will randomly have a leader's mark on it. Soooooo yeah. That's whot this bickering looks like. Please stop fighting just for the sake of fighting. Even if yeu were the same gender, yeu'd still fight just over a different excuse.

Default Commander-in-Chief

You could do worse than to take the Commander-in-Chief of Australia's Armed Forces, Her Excellency Ms Quentin Bryce AC, as a role model.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    ^Ina, This is funney, probably some ingrained woman procedure that's hard-coded in them to prevent gaining power.

See, the men didn't start it pissy at all. That's projecting, honey.

Now you go rant all day about spineless men or whatever floats your boat.

Edit: and of course you're not my honey, but you're just dieing to be a target of some patronizing.
    Didn't we tell you to lock the liquor cabinet?
    The only thing dying in this thread, is you. You're way outta your depth pal. Not waving, but drowning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Ann Coulter

:yim_rolling_on_the_
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISTP

Mrs. Palin FUR sure!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

In a slight tweak (some may call it a major tweak) of the original concept...

Everyone has role models (yes you do). Whether it's your mum or the neighbour or your teacher. Anyone who has a quality we admire, respect or are attracted to we will in some way emulate (unless you're a sociopath, in which case if you press Alt+F4 you'll find where you should be right now).

Mentioned by Haphazard, the idea of Anti role models... equally as valid. Someone who displays a characteristic or trait you consider inferior in some way or just not wanted.

It's not really a matter of selecting a person and then modelling yourself after them but people do associate behaviour with outcome. So if you see someone who's arrogant then if they are always bragging about say their success in work, you avoid becoming like them. Sometimes more than necessary so you avoid such high flier jobs even if they would suit you.
    ---------------------------------------

Now to the idea of why role models are needed, as I stated before role models serve as points in space, like words they define instances which don't necessarily exist but are necessary for communication. I mean how can two people talk about "powerful women" at the moment? You've got every definition from those who stand on a pile of corpses in high heels to those who wouldn't touch heels with a barge pole but who are serene no matter what. There just seems to be a lack of clarity.

Now this is not to say that there is no lack of clarity in male role models but I would have thought my own vested interest in that area would cloud my judgement (not that any area is immune just I would figure it less likely to do so in this).

As for certain role models being "not good enough", well it's an area of personal opinion, like so many others. I don't really get why it's so contentious.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?