User Tag List

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Default Do you partly define yourself by types of people whom you oppose?

I've noticed I've done this. I've thought of person X who is manipulative, emotional, simple, traditional, forceful and controlling. I've thought I'm not like her, and it's meaningful to me. I do some of the things she does, but not the whole package, and I feel defined by that I'm not her.

Likewise, there are other personalities who seem to define "not me" for me.

I think there's about 6-8 such persons.

The alpha-type response for this is here: "I define myself by me, not by others!"

So now that we have that response handled, do you partly define yourself as not someone else?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

As a follow-up, persons whom I've strongly compared myself with, include.

person A: smart, fast, a talker, neglects his duties, loves games, loves beer, sometimes philosophical, almost a strategist, sporty, mostly down-to-earth, thinks of being popular, a lazy forgetful leader.

person B: manipulative, nerdy, bound to bursts of anger, competitive, friend and a foe, egocentrical, cheating, intelligent, technical, pretending to be innocent, hypocrite

So, these are more persons who have strongly influenced as what's "not me".

Then there's a mass of people who's "not me", with none of them being noticeable enough to mention indivually.

Type C: Believes in authority, tells me to eat my meals, smiles and nods assuringly, goes to shop in ol' gramma's shops, tells that life is best lived in a simple way, doesn't own much.

Type D: Tells that children should obey their parents. Each family member has their own role. Father provides, mother nurtures, children learn and respect.

Type E: tells that things are as they are because they feel that way, because many people think that way, because it's established because it's always been that way and because belief systems would collapse if we thought otherwise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Lol I want to assign types to those people, but I'll refrain.

Anyway, yeah I've found myself doing the same thing some times. It's not about reassuring myself though. I don't often think, "Man, at least I'm not like THAT person...", but I do say "I'm pretty similar to him/her, but there is this difference..." Most of them are close friends.

Person A: very analytical, deeply convicted about certain things, ridiculously stubborn and unyielding to those that oppose her beliefs, creative, sympathetic, a good listener, independent, tends to put things off to the last minute but still has a good end product for the most part, some times lazy and unmotivated, fairly spontaneous though slightly afraid of the unknown, tends to be driven by emotions

Person B: really easygoing, never holds grudges, very witty and sharp, very logical, level-headed, a loyal friend, likes to solve puzzles, ridiculously lazy and unfocused, has many interests

Person C: ridiculously intelligent (too much for his own good), gregarious, charming, likes to tease people, loves strategy games, good at uniting people, good at getting something done when he really sets his mind to it, a good craftsman/engineer, can't interpret emotions (his own or other peoples), great public speaker, can come across as uncaring and unsympathetic, a procrastinator with big plans, very independent and anti-tradition

I agree that I also do the whole "I'm not like this mass of people.", and most of them are Type C, D, and E (though I believe that those three groups are all a part of the same group with the same core set of values). I also am not like a few other types, mainly overly emotional people and overly materialistic people.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

I define myself as independent, confident, agressive (not socially), creative, and more importantly driven.

I just think that if you want something you should get it, why deprieve yourself. Set a goal and set sail.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Lol I want to assign types to those people, but I'll refrain.
    Please do, even if in private message, even though types are a side issue with this anyway. I'm hugely interested though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    I define myself as independent, confident, agressive (not socially), creative, and more importantly driven.

I just think that if you want something you should get it, why deprieve yourself. Set a goal and set sail.
    But, are there some types of people or some specific people who have defined "not you" in your own opinion?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    But, are there some types of people or some specific people who have defined "not you" in your own opinion?
    Could you illiterate, i'm not understanding the concept.

Are you asking if people type me because of misconception based on their perception of me?

K I re-read the OP,

Hard to say really, I pay attention to people, but i never typed myself as that type, but i can relate to some of the things they do and say. I might find similarity between person A and person B, but I never really reflect on their characteristic as something to define myself. Similarity to another person I oppose is just a coencidence to me and I don't reflect upon it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Thanks for the bold. I couldn't read it before ...it just suddently became clear after it.

We are defined by our enemies.

We keep our friends close but our enemies even closer.

As Pogo says, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

we primarily define our “map of the world” by its boarders. The map is not the world but that is how we define it.

I need a new antithesis, my former antithesis was George W. Bush, but he is so 2008. Maybe if Obama keeps sending troops to Afghanistan he will be my new George W. Bush.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"