• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you partly define yourself by types of people whom you oppose?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've noticed I've done this. I've thought of person X who is manipulative, emotional, simple, traditional, forceful and controlling. I've thought I'm not like her, and it's meaningful to me. I do some of the things she does, but not the whole package, and I feel defined by that I'm not her.

Likewise, there are other personalities who seem to define "not me" for me.

I think there's about 6-8 such persons.

The alpha-type response for this is here: "I define myself by me, not by others!"

So now that we have that response handled, do you partly define yourself as not someone else?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
As a follow-up, persons whom I've strongly compared myself with, include.

person A: smart, fast, a talker, neglects his duties, loves games, loves beer, sometimes philosophical, almost a strategist, sporty, mostly down-to-earth, thinks of being popular, a lazy forgetful leader.

person B: manipulative, nerdy, bound to bursts of anger, competitive, friend and a foe, egocentrical, cheating, intelligent, technical, pretending to be innocent, hypocrite

So, these are more persons who have strongly influenced as what's "not me".

Then there's a mass of people who's "not me", with none of them being noticeable enough to mention indivually.

Type C: Believes in authority, tells me to eat my meals, smiles and nods assuringly, goes to shop in ol' gramma's shops, tells that life is best lived in a simple way, doesn't own much.

Type D: Tells that children should obey their parents. Each family member has their own role. Father provides, mother nurtures, children learn and respect.

Type E: tells that things are as they are because they feel that way, because many people think that way, because it's established because it's always been that way and because belief systems would collapse if we thought otherwise.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Lol I want to assign types to those people, but I'll refrain.

Anyway, yeah I've found myself doing the same thing some times. It's not about reassuring myself though. I don't often think, "Man, at least I'm not like THAT person...", but I do say "I'm pretty similar to him/her, but there is this difference..." Most of them are close friends.

Person A: very analytical, deeply convicted about certain things, ridiculously stubborn and unyielding to those that oppose her beliefs, creative, sympathetic, a good listener, independent, tends to put things off to the last minute but still has a good end product for the most part, some times lazy and unmotivated, fairly spontaneous though slightly afraid of the unknown, tends to be driven by emotions

Person B: really easygoing, never holds grudges, very witty and sharp, very logical, level-headed, a loyal friend, likes to solve puzzles, ridiculously lazy and unfocused, has many interests

Person C: ridiculously intelligent (too much for his own good), gregarious, charming, likes to tease people, loves strategy games, good at uniting people, good at getting something done when he really sets his mind to it, a good craftsman/engineer, can't interpret emotions (his own or other peoples), great public speaker, can come across as uncaring and unsympathetic, a procrastinator with big plans, very independent and anti-tradition

I agree that I also do the whole "I'm not like this mass of people.", and most of them are Type C, D, and E (though I believe that those three groups are all a part of the same group with the same core set of values). I also am not like a few other types, mainly overly emotional people and overly materialistic people.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I define myself as independent, confident, agressive (not socially), creative, and more importantly driven.

I just think that if you want something you should get it, why deprieve yourself. Set a goal and set sail.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I define myself as independent, confident, agressive (not socially), creative, and more importantly driven.

I just think that if you want something you should get it, why deprieve yourself. Set a goal and set sail.

But, are there some types of people or some specific people who have defined "not you" in your own opinion?

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
But, are there some types of people or some specific people who have defined "not you" in your own opinion?

Could you illiterate, i'm not understanding the concept.

Are you asking if people type me because of misconception based on their perception of me?

K I re-read the OP,

Hard to say really, I pay attention to people, but i never typed myself as that type, but i can relate to some of the things they do and say. I might find similarity between person A and person B, but I never really reflect on their characteristic as something to define myself. Similarity to another person I oppose is just a coencidence to me and I don't reflect upon it.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Thanks for the bold. I couldn't read it before :D...it just suddently became clear after it.

Mole

Permabanned
We are defined by our enemies.

We keep our friends close but our enemies even closer.

As Pogo says, "We have met the enemy and he is us".

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
we primarily define our “map of the world” by its boarders. The map is not the world but that is how we define it.

I need a new antithesis, my former antithesis was George W. Bush, but he is so 2008. Maybe if Obama keeps sending troops to Afghanistan he will be my new George W. Bush.