• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ruining kids lives?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Some countries have real low theft rates... I think it's the same ones that remove your hands for it. Doesn't mean it's progress though right?
Yes, because having a better standard of living and cutting off people's hands are a lot alike . . . ?
Xander said:
I think the prize could run into the millions if someone could come up with a unified theory that would lead to "healthy" kids. I guess at some point you've got to stop worrying about the minutia and figure that if they are happy and capable of making their way in the world then job done really.
Yeah, but like you said, good luck coming up with how to do that. And like I said, good luck keeping people off your back about the minutia. Everybody thinks they have come up with that theory and that their theory ought to be applied to your kids and if you aren't, you're screwing up.
Xander said:
Speaking as someone who got some of the fancy toys, though Disney world was a definite no no, the best memories for me have nothing to do with what was there... more who was there.
Yes, and I feel the same way, but somehow there are people that do feel like they'd like to have had the stuff and for that reason want to get their kids the stuff. I'm guessing that means our experience is somehow not universal.
Xander said:
As for friends versus parent-child relationships... I kinda think that it should be a bit like when you work for someone who you get on with. Sure you can have a laugh and the sarcasm isn't all one way but at the end of the day when the boss says jump you still ask how high.
That sounds pretty ideal. Someone should write a book about how to do that . . .

Not being able to joke around and play with them would take away the most rewarding thing about being a parent for me, and my kids are unlikely to ask how high, but they do know that if mom is set on their jumping then they are going to either jump or face the music. I don't really have it in me to get the how high thing out of them.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes, because having a better standard of living and cutting off people's hands are a lot alike . . . ?
Reducto absurdum or somthing like that :D
Yeah, but like you said, good luck coming up with how to do that. And like I said, good luck keeping people off your back about the minutia. Everybody thinks they have come up with that theory and that their theory ought to be applied to your kids and if you aren't, you're screwing up.
There's always some new theory. The only reason this one stuck in my head was it kind of made sense. Not sure if that's cause it was all NT reasoning (so many of these books read like some bleeding heart without an ounce of sense in a hundred pages) or if it really does make sense. Seems to have struck a chord with a few people.
Yes, and I feel the same way, but somehow there are people that do feel like they'd like to have had the stuff and for that reason want to get their kids the stuff. I'm guessing that means our experience is somehow not universal.
Either that or we're geniuses and our names post burial will be worth millions :D
That sounds pretty ideal. Someone should write a book about how to do that . . .
Hmmm "How to be a friendly parent and influence children"?
Not being able to joke around and play with them would take away the most rewarding thing about being a parent for me, and my kids are unlikely to ask how high, but they do know that if mom is set on their jumping then they are going to either jump or face the music. I don't really have it in me to get the how high thing out of them.
Well the fountain of all wisdom (aka my mother) was kind of just that. Mind you though my sister is more errm recalcitrant than I and it didn't seem to work on her. Mind you though my mother could get me to just simply via guilt (never intentional she was just good at the whole F type guilt thingy). With my sister you could hold a bazooka to her head and she'd stare back shouting "GO ON THEN!!". Silly rabbit.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
By the way, is it just me, or has every generation always complained about the generation after it (i.e. they are spoiled/have no morals/godless/ect). I don't think you could spoon feed kids and they would just eat it up, not most people anyway. They're KIDS, they are curious, they WANT to learn, in one form or another. Ever notice how kids are way better with computers than their parents (although that will change soon)? Its because the parents needed to learn how to use them by reading a manuel, while the fertile mind of the child played with it and learned how to use it through experimentation.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
By the way, is it just me, or has every generation always complained about the generation after it (i.e. they are spoiled/have no morals/godless/ect). I don't think you could spoon feed kids and they would just eat it up, not most people anyway. They're KIDS, they are curious, they WANT to learn, in one form or another. Ever notice how kids are way better with computers than their parents (although that will change soon)? Its because the parents needed to learn how to use them by reading a manuel, while the fertile mind of the child played with it and learned how to use it through experimentation.
Not so I'm afraid. The level of geekness has dropped significantly in younger generations. Probably has something to do with the availability of trouble free, optimised and pre configured products.