User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Body Language

  1. #1
    Senior Member forzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0
    Posts
    547

    Default Body Language

    So, I finally figured out why I'm socially awkward, reason is because of my inability to read body language. The same feeling a person might feel when feeling his or her way in the dark is the same way i feel when i'm around people, alert because of the unknown. However, I'm far from being shy, Its just I can't read people that well.

    So for those who are pros in reading body language, where do I start ?
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

  2. #2
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,087

    Default

    Watch to see if the signs people are giving match what they are saying. If they don't, it can mean they are insecure, that they are nervous, that they are strange, that they are uncomfortable around you etc.

    Generally people looking around or looking at their watch means they want to go somewhere but can't think of a graceful way to make their exit.

    Eye contact and an open body stance or mirroring what you do is usually a sign that they like you and are enjoying the conversation.

    Animation of facial features often means that they are losing themselves in the conversation and are having a good time.

    Closed body stance (lack of eye contact, folded arms, crossed legs) can mean discomfort, dislike, nervousness or insecurity.

    People touching you on the arm during conversation often means that they are expressing empathy, that they are touchy people, or that they like you and are testing the waters.

  3. #3
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    I don't know if I really believe in body language, at least not as a reliable method of predicting anything.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  4. #4
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forzen View Post
    So, I finally figured out why I'm socially awkward, reason is because of my inability to read body language. The same feeling a person might feel when feeling his or her way in the dark is the same way i feel when i'm around people, alert because of the unknown. However, I'm far from being shy, Its just I can't read people that well.

    So for those who are pros in reading body language, where do I start ?
    Trying to read body language makes you awkward.

    Trying to read body language is an attempt to manipulate the other person.

    And it is quite like trying to manipulate a person by typing them.

    So trying to read body language or trying to type someone are ways of avoiding the person in front of you.

    And of course it is highly insulting and lets the person know in no uncertain terms that you don't like them any more than you like yourself.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Trying to read body language makes you awkward.

    Trying to read body language is an attempt to manipulate the other person.

    And it is quite like trying to manipulate a person by typing them.

    So trying to read body language or trying to type someone are ways of avoiding the person in front of you.

    And of course it is highly insulting and lets the person know in no uncertain terms that you don't like them any more than you like yourself.
    This is the way the game is played. I personally don't see any reason to fight it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member forzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Trying to read body language makes you awkward.

    Trying to read body language is an attempt to manipulate the other person.

    And it is quite like trying to manipulate a person by typing them.

    So trying to read body language or trying to type someone are ways of avoiding the person in front of you.

    And of course it is highly insulting and lets the person know in no uncertain terms that you don't like them any more than you like yourself.
    Wow, ok i don't know why it would be insulting to be able to read body language and i think it would make conversing with people more enjoyable. I'm not about to Iago anyone, so please quit making assumptions about people that you don't know nothing about . That is all.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

  7. #7
    Senior Member forzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Watch to see if the signs people are giving match what they are saying. If they don't, it can mean they are insecure, that they are nervous, that they are strange, that they are uncomfortable around you etc.

    Generally people looking around or looking at their watch means they want to go somewhere but can't think of a graceful way to make their exit.

    Eye contact and an open body stance or mirroring what you do is usually a sign that they like you and are enjoying the conversation.

    Animation of facial features often means that they are losing themselves in the conversation and are having a good time.

    Closed body stance (lack of eye contact, folded arms, crossed legs) can mean discomfort, dislike, nervousness or insecurity.

    People touching you on the arm during conversation often means that they are expressing empathy, that they are touchy people, or that they like you and are testing the waters.
    Thanks !
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

  8. #8
    loopy Ulaes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd
    Posts
    850

    Default

    i thought body language was kind of instinctive/unconscious? i know projecting it is unless you've trained yourself to control it, but i thought being affected by it was too.

    i've experimented with body language. i got an inkling that someone standing near me wanted to start talking so i uncrossed my arms and lent back on my arm so my body was starting to face them and they started to speak immediatley.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Trying to read body language makes you awkward.

    Trying to read body language is an attempt to manipulate the other person.

    And it is quite like trying to manipulate a person by typing them.

    So trying to read body language or trying to type someone are ways of avoiding the person in front of you.

    And of course it is highly insulting and lets the person know in no uncertain terms that you don't like them any more than you like yourself.

    You are going way overboard here.

  10. #10
    Senior Member forzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    i thought body language was kind of instinctive/unconscious? i know projecting it is unless you've trained yourself to control it, but i thought being affected by it was too.

    i've experimented with body language. i got an inkling that someone standing near me wanted to start talking so i uncrossed my arms and lent back on my arm so my body was starting to face them and they started to speak immediatley.
    It is, but some people just gives it more attention than other people. For me, when talking to people, I listen to what the person is saying majority of the time which makes the conversation less interesting if that person has nothing interesting to say.
    This post grammatical errors had been intentionally left uncorrected.

Similar Threads

  1. [E5] Fives and body language
    By simbad in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Nonverbal ques and body language
    By Lissa in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 01:49 AM
  3. [ENFP] ENFP body language
    By dearie.b in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 09:51 PM
  4. temperaments and body language
    By mippus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO