Thread: Conformity

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    You are so right.

I do not get jobs.
    I do not make money.
    I do not drive cars.
    I do not eat at restaurants.
    I definitely do not buy clothes.

And yet I fail in my endeavour not to conform.

The man clad in the blue cap and the blue overall is outside the window I have closed. With the hell machine.

Xander kindly revealed me the name of the modern lifestyle.
    It is called the leaf blower.

I hear the modern lifestyle all right. And yet I refuse to shoot the janitor.
    You may rightly say my refusal to shoot the janitor is plain conformity.

There is no escape.
    I complained and they told me the hell machine was replenishing the ozone layer.

Is this true?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I complained and they told me the hell machine was replenishing the ozone layer.

Is this true?
    It is all a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    It is all a lie.
    Bastards!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

+1 to OneWithSoul

Also, the way I see it:

Trying to be a nonconformist is another way of conforming.

-1 for the person who invented the words conformity, and nonconformity. Way to go on making an imaginary pointless boundary.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    My whole life "conformity" has been the big, bad villain.

But in the past couple years, I've started thinking that conformity is not only necessary but almost refreshing - like it's a sign of humility in an era of narcissism.

Anyone else get that? What's the big deal about non-conformists?
    Agreed, I was a total goth when I was a freshman in highschool. I was ashamed of liking popular things, it was idiotic...

There is comfort in conformity. Not at the cost of who you truly are, but there is nothing wrong with liking things that other people like. In business its essential.
    Ground control to Major Tom

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

This is getting worrying
    Quote Originally Posted by web definition
    con∑form∑ist (kn-fŰrmst)
    n.
    A person who uncritically or habitually conforms to the customs, rules, or styles of a group.
    There's nothing good about accepting something without thought.
    Oh and the sub groups are usually worse than the "mainstream" for conformists.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    I'll let you all debate the definition and the foundation of nonconformity.

But, there does seem to be a common theme of de-valuing the norms of society - whether intentionally going against the grain, or simply going ones own way, which happens to be a different direction than the "mainstream."

So, here's my question: if a personal value is in conflict with a societal value, why is it assumed that the more advanced and respectable choice is to remain in line with the personal value?

Personal values seem a little empty and unchallenging to me. I think it would be pretty easy to live my life in accordance with my own beliefs.
    Personal values are seen as the more advanced and respectable choice to many self-proclaimed individualists because they are usually the more thought out rational approach to life. Following the rules of society usually gives off the impression, that people haven't really thought about the reason they do things. It's easy to see why one is valued more than the other.

It's exactly what wolfy said. Aligning yourself with society is a sign of maturity. There's no being different for the sake of being difficult. However defining yourself by society values is another matter.

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Agreed, I was a total goth when I was a freshman in highschool. I was ashamed of liking popular things, it was idiotic...

There is comfort in conformity. Not at the cost of who you truly are, but there is nothing wrong with liking things that other people like. In business its essential.
    Exactly. To like what the "mainstream" likes is neither conformity or nonconformity; it's neutral. Sometimes I share the interests of the populous, and sometimes I don't, and it's probably a good thing not to have a predisposition to either (don't like or dislike something just because it's popular.)

MBTI
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Personal values are seen as the more advanced and respectable choice to many self-proclaimed individualists because they are usually the more thought out rational approach to life. Following the rules of society usually gives off the impression, that people haven't really thought about the reason they do things. It's easy to see why one is valued more than the other.

It's exactly what wolfy said. Aligning yourself with society is a sign of maturity. There's no being different for the sake of being difficult. However defining yourself by society values is another matter.
    How are personal values more thought out and rational than societal values?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    ESTj

Life shouldn't be about non-conformity and conformity. It should be more about being yourself and happy who you are. If conforming in a certain situation is not being true to who you are, then in my opinion, it is wrong. If your value system is opposite to what society believes and you feel you need to make a stand, then non-conformity is good. To be completely one or the other makes no sense. Because nobody completely disagrees with society on everything and know one complete agrees with society on everything. To be a non-conformist just to be a non-conformist makes no sense. I see that as being attention seeking or narcassitic.
    I am male. Don't hold it against me.