User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Conformity

MBTI
    ?

I'll let you all debate the definition and the foundation of nonconformity.

But, there does seem to be a common theme of de-valuing the norms of society - whether intentionally going against the grain, or simply going ones own way, which happens to be a different direction than the "mainstream."

So, here's my question: if a personal value is in conflict with a societal value, why is it assumed that the more advanced and respectable choice is to remain in line with the personal value?

Personal values seem a little empty and unchallenging to me. I think it would be pretty easy to live my life in accordance with my own beliefs.

MBTI
    ENFP

When I was young the only thing I wanted most in the world was to conform and I tried really hard at it too... It didn't happen and so I had to make my version of non-conforming ok... but my version of non-conforming was not the 'cool version' (Cos everyone knows that there is a cool version and a definite NON cool version rite! ) Ok, now my father (An ISTJ) always wanted to be average... (and was anything but HAHAHA) But I really admired his humility... Like it was the best thing.... esp since he had so much to be un-humble about... and so although I don't often conform I really value those that do! As I always saw my non-conformity as a let down in some ways to my father! HAHAHAHA Excuse the F
    ... couldn't drag me away

Željko Ražnatovic: argus
    Željko Ražnatovic: do you want heir's?
    WildHorses: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Željko Ražnatovic: to carry your genealogical code??

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthie View Post
    I'll let you all debate the definition and the foundation of nonconformity.

But, there does seem to be a common theme of de-valuing the norms of society - whether intentionally going against the grain, or simply going ones own way, which happens to be a different direction than the "mainstream."

So, here's my question: if a personal value is in conflict with a societal value, why is it assumed that the more advanced and respectable choice is to remain in line with the personal value?

Personal values seem a little empty and unchallenging to me. I think it would be pretty easy to live my life in accordance with my own beliefs.
    Because if your view is more advanced and respectable then so too are you considered likewise.

Why does everyone try to appear clever? Because it's desirable as a trait.

(And who says anything about values...personally I was talking more maxims and principles... values are just silly and squishy!!!)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

I dunno, it's like... I never exactly 'fought' against conformity, my feelings and wants just never went along with it, making people assume that I'm really trying.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

We're all conformists. No matter what we say or think, or would like to say and think, about ourselves..we're all conformists. We get jobs, make money, drive cars, eat at restaurants, buy clothes..it's the modern lifestyle..that so many people can be doing the same thing in sync.

We may think differently in our heads, like Winston in 1984, but until we actually turn around and start wading back up the stream, we're all conformists.

Don't get the idea in your head...people love to think of themselves as non-conformists. We all conform, everyday, all the time...because we're dead in the head.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    We're all conformists. No matter what we say or think, or would like to say and think, about ourselves..we're all conformists. We get jobs, make money, drive cars, eat at restaurants, buy clothes..it's the modern lifestyle..that so many people can be doing the same thing in sync.

We may think differently in our heads, like Winston in 1984, but until we actually turn around and start wading back up the stream, we're all conformists.

Don't get the idea in your head...people love to think of themselves as non-conformists. We all conform, everyday, all the time...because we're dead in the head.
    Or for lack of a decent alternative.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ?

The beauty of conformity is that it asks everyone to give a little. It's not as though there's one person (or group of people) who gets to behave exactly as they would like, and everyone else has to follow them.

MBTI
    INFP

Why you choose to conform or not to conform is what matters.

If you choose to not make too much eye contact with people in China in order to show respect for their culture and to avoid offending anyone, then that form of conformity could be construed as a good thing.

If you choose not to defend a girl that is getting gang-raped at a dance because no one else is, then it can be construed in many ways.. a) as cowardice; b) as looking out for your own survival; etc.

I think that (non)conformity is an interesting topic because it polarises people and really tells you a lot about those commenting on it!

For example, I loved the bit in New Moon where the friend she's shopping with goes on a tangent about people that say they hate shopping and how zombie movies are metaphors for consumerism and yada yada.

Basically she's saying that you can like to shop and still be an individual. That people judge others based on singular hobbies/characteristics rather than seeing them as a whole and appreciate that they can be a person with a mind of your own yet still love to shop.

Reminds me of a coworker I had that would tell me how stupid people that wear Uggs are. Of course, in his Dr. Marten-wearing, motorcycle-riding state of superiority, he is allowed to cast such judgment.

If they keep your feet warm and are comfortable, why do you hate them so much? Is it because you think people wear them to make a fashion statement because that's why you wear Dr. Martens to work and tell everyone you ride a motorcycle?

MBTI
    ENTP

Conformism is not evil and not good. It's just a way of interacting with people.

I don't care about clothing, so I mimic the trend. Easy, you'll blend in and everybody accepts it.
    I do care about what I do with my leisure time. I won't watch the football game just because everybody does it and wants to talk about it the next day. I hate football. I will be the odd one out the next day, but that's a small price compared to having watch the stupid thing. This works the other way around, too. I won't hate Harry Potter just because it's popular. I'm not going to be non-conformist for the sake of being non-conformist and unique and all that.
    If I agree with the crowd, I'll blend in. If I don't agree with the crowd, I'll stand out. If the issue doesn't interest me, I'll take the road of least resistance and blend in.

About a more important issue: feminism...
    I'm a woman. I've done theoretical physics. There were three women in that field in our university compared to 30 men.
    Now I'm a teacher. I've done that thing all feminists abhor: I went to a more 'feminine' job for 'feminine' reasons (wanting to stay with husband, wanting to be able to care for children...)
    It's not because people want "more women" in theoretical physics that *I* should be the one doing it, damned!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post

You are so right.

I do not get jobs.
    I do not make money.
    I do not drive cars.
    I do not eat at restaurants.
    I definitely do not buy clothes.

And yet I fail in my endeavour not to conform.

The man clad in the blue cap and the blue overall is outside the window I have closed. With the hell machine.

Xander kindly revealed me the name of the modern lifestyle.
    It is called the leaf blower.

I hear the modern lifestyle all right. And yet I refuse to shoot the janitor.
    You may rightly say my refusal to shoot the janitor is plain conformity.

There is no escape.