• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Communicating with pictures, speech, text and music

Ungw�liante

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
How do you think these differ from each other, when used as the means of communication? What psychological processes do each of these activate within us? Are there any conclusions we can draw from this?

All opinions welcome.

Snow Turtle

Reminds me of the study with the ape communicating with pictures. Or at least recgonizing vocabulury. :D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think that music is the most universal of them. It effects the mood and you can't shut your ears from it, the way you can look away from a picture you don't want to see. But, picture with lots of emotion will carve into your memory because it is more like a concept, you can easily remember it, in a way it is more simple, with maybe some exceptions, like abstract paintings. Maybe there is also more accuracy in pictures than in music. You can get a message through more easily, it can be a lot more than feeling, but then you'll need to know your audience better than you would with music. This is because people need to learn to read the symbols, so it is more culture related.

Speech is the next in accuracy, and then there is text, which is probably the most accurate way to communicate. And maybe the most versatile.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How do you think these differ from each other, when used as the means of communication? What psychological processes do each of these activate within us? Are there any conclusions we can draw from this?

All opinions welcome.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
------------DIFFERENCES---------PSYCH PROCESSES-----CONCLUSIONS
---------------------------------------------------------------------
PICTURES---Alert other senses,----A picture is-------------Communicate
------------stir imagnination,----worth 1,000 words-------w/o words
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SPEECH-----Can occur in-------Cue memory of past-------Communicate
---------------darkness-----------conversations-----------w/o sight
----------------------------------------------------------------------
TEXT--------Can occur w/o-------Awaken formally---------Communicate
----------physical interaction-----learned constructs--------if no voice
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
MUSIC------Universal language-----All emotions, all---------80-120 BPM
---------------------------------thought processes--------is closest to
--------------------------------------------------------human heart beat
----------------------------------------------------------and liked by the
--------------------------------------------------------------human ear
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ungw�liante

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you.

Do you think it's possible to see various means of communication via Jungian function theory? What I am aiming for here is the processes that you individually use when communicated to with the above means.

For reference, here's a link to the functions: Jungian Function Theory

Mole

Permabanned

All opinions welcome.

Sometimes I deliberately stop speaking and so I must communicate by other means.

And soon I stop speaking to myself and so I must communicate with myself by other means.

It is as though I am in direct communication with the world around me. Or in other words, the world is no longer mediated by language.

But nonetheless I still perceive the world. I perceive the world in images and shapes.

I find this pleasurable but when I try to share it, I find others don't understand what I am doing, so I am forced to start up my language machine like a rusty old car.

But I can't quite let go the pleasure so I try to talk in images and shapes, and they call that poetic.

But really they have crippled me so I will use the crutch of language.