• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Siblings, only-child-hood, and extra/introversion

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
Mom - I
Dad - E
Brother 1 - i
Sister - I
Brother 2 - I
Brother 3 - e
Me: I

Jon Snow

MBTI Type
INFP
Papa-I
Mama-E
Older Sister-E(NFJ)
Me-I
Younger Sister- e?

Yeah..

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Me: E
Dad: I
Mom: I
Grandmother 1: E
Grandfather 1: E
Grandmother 2: I
Grandfather 2: Probably I
Aunt 1: E
Aunt 2: E
Aunt 3: I
Uncle: I
Cousin 1: E
Cousin 2: E
Cousin 3: E
Cousin 4: E
Cousin 5: I
Cousin 6: I
Cousin 7: E
Cousin 8: I

R

Riva

Dad - ESTJ (he should be in the military)
Mom - ESFP
Sister - ESTP (she should be in jail)

I am too bored to type the rest.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Dad: E
Mom: I
Me: I
Sister 1: E
Sister 2: I
Brother: I

My extraverted sister is usually the one who has no problem being assertive and will sometimes be the voice of our family. She's the voice, I'm the wisdom. I feed her the info and she says it ;)

My ex bf was an only child and he was extremely extraverted.
From my experience with familys that have more than 3 kids, I've seen alot of first borns who were introverted and second borns who were extraverted. I thought that was so bizarre.

I should add that my ENFJ (18) sister and my ISFJ (15) sister do NOT get along. Its a hateful relationship.
I on the other hand, get along with all my siblings and I'm pretty close to them all.

P

Phantonym

My whole immediate family is plagued by extreme introversion. I have a younger brother (ISTJ) and we're very close. Being the older one, I was very domineering when we were growing up. We used to have ferocious fights when he hit puberty (he's three years younger) but after that, we'd make up very quickly as if nothing had happened. We could and still can sit in a room, both doing our things, not say a word and it's perfectly fine. Or we could laugh our asses off and chatter about all kinds of nonsense all day long.

I am very domineering in relationships that I feel are important to me but it's more like stubbornness and quiet "It's my way or the highway" attitude and I can attribute all that to my childhood and my relationship with my introverted brother and parents. But I'm always willing to see the other person's point of view and adapt myself to it. Very, very aware of personal space. That's the reason I often feel overwhelmed by extraverts or people trying to pressure me, I feel the need to fight back to have my space. But I also learned to respect other people's need for space and step back when I feel they need it.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My parents are extroverts and tried to push me to be that way. I think that is why I am such an introvert.

I am the oldest of three girls. The youngest is an ENFP, the middle sister is INFP. For some reason I am the shyest one. I think my parents learned their lesson, not to push their kids to be something they are not because it had sucha horrible affect on me. My younger siblingsare much more confident than I and much more comfortable in their own skin.

FeelingFreshSon

MBTI Type
INTP
yeah, my brother is an extrovert, he's totally INSANE
I mean, he talks to himself when alone. (like musical chanting) lol
But I think we both TRY to be different from one another, for whatever reason.]
Probly cuz we get on each others nerves.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah, my brother is an extrovert, he's totally INSANE
I mean, he talks to himself when alone. (like musical chanting) lol
But I think we both TRY to be different from one another, for whatever reason.]
Probly cuz we get on each others nerves.

Ha that reminds me of my ENFP sister. She's as crazy as.

And I used to try and be different from my INFP sister, because we used to be very similar and I wanted to be individual ;P

tigerlily113

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3?
my whole family is introverted and I think that my two sisters and I are very close because of it. My mom pushes us to be more extroverted, maybe because she wished she had been when she was younger. My older sister (INTJ) seems to be more introverted than me and my younger sister (ISXP). I think it might be because, being the oldest, she was pushed more to be outgoing and it negatively affected her. I'm probably a little more extroverted than her because I was able to connect with people at my own pace.

My older sister thinks that because we are so close, i might have rubbed off on her a bit and made her develop her F; and we were really surprised when we found out my younger sister was an Artisan, because the rest of us are all N, and she seems to fit in fine.

Personalities are defined by nature and nurture, so I guess that your family will probably affect every part of your personality in someway, but they can't change your type!

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
My mother's an ENFJ and I think my father was ESxJ, but neither were very extreme extroverts and never pushed me to be extroverted at all. I'm an only child.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The quietest people I know have been younger siblings. The louder people I know have been older siblings or only children. I'm not sure why that is. Probably a coincidence.

I personally am an only child, and have, in the past, scored very low on extraversion (even though I'm DEFINITELY an extravert, and am energized by social activity and such). But honestly, the fact that I'm an ESTJ only child of an INTP and an INFJ consistently confuses and intrigues me. Dunno how that happened.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My parents are both fairly strong introverts and my sis and I are both strong extroverts :shock:

my SO is an only child and is an introvert :)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Youngest of four sons. Rarely find anyone more Introverted than me.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Brother (I), sister (E), sister (I) and me (E)

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
My mother is an Extrovert.
My brother's father is an Introvert (He had very little to do with my brother, though).
My father is an Introvert (He had nothing to do with my upbringing).
My brother is an Introvert.
I'm an Extrovert.
I always felt sorry for my brother - living with two extroverted women without a buffer couldn't have been very easy. But he's really quite charming and sociable for an I because of it, I think (he's even the president of his fraternity :wubbie:), and I tend to come across as shy in unfamiliar situations while I'm trying to get my bearings. So we both tend to confuse people at first!

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm an only child and my mom's a weak extrovert (ENFP), my dad is a weak introvert (INTP)

so i guess i'm a mix of both of them

i feel like being an only child had a negative effect on my social skills. maybe because i never made that much of an effort to make friends.

tigerlily113

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3?
i feel like being an only child had a negative effect on my social skills. maybe because i never made that much of an effort to make friends.

I think for me it was kinda the opposite. I have two sisters pretty close to my age that I've always gotten along with, so I never really needed to look for friends; mine were built in:hug:. I have other (also introverted) friends who are only children and are much better at seeking out friendships than me, because its been necessary for them to do that for their whole lives, if they didn't want to be lonely.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
My Oldest Brother is an E. My middle brother is an I. I'm the baby of the bunch and I'm an I.

I was a sensitive kid. I remember a lot of the mean things they said got to me on the inside. I think this might be most of why I'm an I and also why I have below average confidence in myself.