User Tag List

123 Last

Default Types and dealing with depression via cutting

I was wondering if there is any correlation between a specific type and cutting themselves

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know of any statistics... and it's kind of hard to collect samples; most cutters won't report it.

I'll be honest: I've cut before, and I still feel strongly tempted even nowadays, from time to time. It's usually done for one of two reasons with me: Either I feel a lot of emotional pain I don't know what to do with, or I'm punishing myself for not being as pure or strong as I feel I should be.

Maybe types that more easily go in those directions would be more susceptible. I would suspect there to be less ExTJ and Type Eight cutters, for example, than some other more passive types.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I know an isfj who did it in the past.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I can imagine the INFPs. I know an ESFP who used to.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Gotta say too, it's usually a woman thing.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

...I'm a bit hemophobic so I wouldn't dare dream of doing such a thing. I also don't understand why someone would do it. It hurts, it's disgusting and it's harmful. The most likely ones to do it are the INFPs in my opinion.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    ...I'm a bit hemophobic so I wouldn't dare dream of doing such a thing. I also don't understand why someone would do it. It hurts, it's disgusting and it's harmful. The most likely ones to do it are the INFPs in my opinion.
    I should ask my ex-roomie. She deals with teens in psych wards and talks all the time about how many girls there are/were cutters. (And no, I don't imagine even 15% of them are INFPs. I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of IxFx's, though.)

Phantonym

I think it could happen to any type if the circumstances are right. For some people it's a coping mechanism, a release of intense emotions that seem too difficult to handle any other way. It's a sort of tunnel vision behaviour, people doing it are only thinking about the relief they get as a result.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I should ask my ex-roomie. She deals with teens in psych wards and talks all the time about how many girls there are/were cutters. (And no, I don't imagine even 15% of them are INFPs. I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of IxFx's, though.)
    Well if you count in the percentage of INFPs out there I'd be surprised if it was even 5%. I'm just matching things together. Wasn't it the INFPs who experience depression the most?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    I think it could happen to any type if the circumstances are right. For some people it's a coping mechanism, a release of intense emotions that seem too difficult to handle any other way. It's a sort of tunnel vision behaviour, people doing it are only thinking about the relief they get as a result.
    Well I certainly wouldn't ever do it. I also can't imagine any ESTPs, ESTJs or ENTJs doing it. It would be weird.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well if you count in the percentage of INFPs out there I'd be surprised if it was even 5%. I'm just matching things together. Wasn't it the INFPs who experience depression the most?
    I honestly don't remember, sigh.
    Did we have a thread here about it, ever?

I'm just saying usually when I run across cutters, the bulk seems to be teen girls of F variety, who are full of conflicted values, self-loathing, and powerlessness. Even ISFJs cut themselves. That "body image" thing hits teenage girls hard.

I never cut until well into adulthood, and because I felt very very locked into a vise... I was under a lot of pressure from family to be something I was not, and it was killing me, but to change what I was doing was seemingly impossible and terrifying... so... I started to cut myself.